The Perfect Thimble.

Old November 11th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default The Perfect Thimble.

I was in a LQS the other day and noticed a glass case of these
beautiful thimbles. They were silver (not plated) and were the kind
that is made so that your fingernail sticks out. Just for kicks I tried
one on. They have one that fit me perfect. It didn't fall off, yet it
was like not wearing one at all, very comfortable. I asked "how much"
and she said, "One hundred dollars." Oooo. That was too much for me.
Maybe for Christmas or a birthday, but not that day.

Problem is, my fingers are really small. Even the "small" size of
regular thimbles is too big. I was spending more time chasing the
thimble than quilting. I tried the plastic ones that you put in boiling
water to form to your finger, but they seem too "slick", not like the
end of a regular thimble.

Last night I had a brainstorm and wrapped a piece of double-sided
scotch tape around my finger under the regular thimble. That worked
really well.

I still have thimble-envy for the hundred-dollar one, though.

Still haven't gotten a pic of the current project. It's the fourth one.
Every one I do, I see improvement. That's very exciting to me.

Sherry

Old November 11th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 11 Nov 2006 07:43:28 -0800, wrote:

[...]

On the up side, that thimble is still there at the LQS so you can save
up for it.

I've tried several thimbles and never found one useful at all. They
hampered my ability to hold the needle, pinched my finger terribly,
and the texture of all I had seen was for pushing the needle in only
one direction and that wasn't the direction I pushed a needle. Then I
went to a quilt show and found a lovely little silver ring style one
with texture meant for pushing with the side of the finger. I thought
it fit like it was made for me, so I bought it. Then the seller
custom fitted it to my finger. Ahh, even better. Sixty bucks. But I
don't get the sore finger anymore so it was worth it.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 11th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Sherry, be sure to let everyone in your family know that you have found
the perfect thimble! g That silver thimble is worth the price; I have
a silver one (ring style from TJ Lane), and it seems to fit my finger no
matter what the weather is like. The plated thimbles don't do that, so
you need to have several different sizes to compensate for the changes
in temperature at different times of the year.

I can't use a thimble that just has the nail cut out; I have to have one
with no top at all, but once I'd found *my* perfect thimble, I saved up
for it and bought it. I've never regretted it.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old November 11th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G.

It's a Roxanne! I love mine.....I think I may need a half size smaller but I
have been using mine for years now and really prefer it to all others.......

Start saving...or, just bite the bullet and get it so you can start quilting
happily now!

Laurie G. in CA who is always willing to enable......

ups.com...

Old November 11th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

My fingers change size with the weather, which is why I never have a
ring sized -- I just move them around to whatever finger a ring may fit
on a particular day. The same changes effect thimble sizes for me, and
I keep a range of sizes from XXS (very difficult to find, so stock up
when you do find them!) to a medium. Number-wise, they range from 3 to
7. Anyhow, I keep a range of sizes in my sewing box, and a range of
sizes in the little plastic box I take with me when I travel. I also
have a stock of plastic and leather thimbles, ring thimbles -- you name
it, I probably have it! I always keep a supply of the smallest
bandaids handy, which are great to put around the tip of my finger to
grab hold of a slightly loose thimble. It's a trial. By the way, a
very wise lady told me that I should never get so attached to a
particular thimble that I couldn't sew comfortably with any other
thimble, because the gotta-have-it thimble is the one that gets stepped
on, lost, or eaten by the dog. Thus, my thimble collection numbers
around 30 to 40 for the common metal ones -- mostly silver and a few
brass alloy -- which I use the most, and about 6 leather, about 6 or so
plastic, and 5 or 6 rings. I always buy thimbles in multiples, too.

Old November 11th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Out here in OZ we have the Thimble Lady - Liuxin Newman.
http://www.thimblelady.com/
She is a gold/silver smith as well as a quilter, and she has
written a couple of books. She tours worldwide and was at
THE show recently. I don't suppose it was one of her
thimbles was it?

Her silver thimbles are works of art and you can get various
thimble holders too, all custom fitted.

If you have found YOUR perfect thimble save for it or let
the family know they should all chip in for Christmas. It
is worth every cent and you will never regret it.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

ups.com...
:

Old November 11th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I received one of her silver thimbles last year for my birthday. I have
finished hand quilting two bed quilts since and several smaller quilts. I
do love my Thimble Lady thimble.

--
Bonnie
NJ
"CATS" wrote in message
Out here in OZ we have the Thimble Lady - Liuxin Newman.
http://www.thimblelady.com/
She is a gold/silver smith as well as a quilter, and she has
written a couple of books. She tours worldwide and was at
THE show recently. I don't suppose it was one of her
thimbles was it?

Her silver thimbles are works of art and you can get various
thimble holders too, all custom fitted.

If you have found YOUR perfect thimble save for it or let
the family know they should all chip in for Christmas. It
is worth every cent and you will never regret it.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

ups.com...

Old November 11th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I am hoping to get to one of her applique classes in January
at our big quilt show in Melbourne.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
:I received one of her silver thimbles last year for my
birthday. I have
: finished hand quilting two bed quilts since and several
smaller quilts. I
: do love my Thimble Lady thimble.
:
:
: --
: Bonnie
: NJ
: ...
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
: catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau
:
:
: wrote in message
:
ups.com...
: :I was in a LQS the other day and noticed a glass case
of
: these
: : beautiful thimbles. They were silver (not plated) and
were
: the kind
: : that is made so that your fingernail sticks out. Just
for
: kicks I tried
: : one on. They have one that fit me perfect. It didn't
fall
: off, yet it
: : was like not wearing one at all, very comfortable. I
asked
: "how much"
: : and she said, "One hundred dollars." Oooo. That was
too
: much for me.
: : Maybe for Christmas or a birthday, but not that day.
: :