The perfect thimble

Old July 19th 03, 05:02 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Default The perfect thimble

I was talking to someone tonight that casts metal. I challenged him to make
me the perfect thimble as I have never found one. The only one that has come
close is a leather one I like to use, but eventually, the needle goes thru
it. So, I described my perfect thimble to him. He's gonna see what he can
do.

I told him I would like to have a flat side instead of rounded as most are.
I quilt with the pad of my finger. No thimble (except for the leather one)
will let me do that. The needle always skips out. And, deep dimples!

So, what would YOUR perfect thimble be like (besides the kind that will
quilt while you sleep).

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old July 19th 03, 01:53 PM
Elena

That's a great question, LN! I think mine would look just exactly like
a Roxanne thimble, but...
Where it's convex past the middle of the upper half, I would have mine
convex with deeper dimples along the centerline of the thimble. It's hard
to describe. I want it to curve over the pad that most people use to push
to push an elevator button with, but once over that curve, I want it to
curve inward as though to trap or cup a skittering needle up to the point
where it will be trapped at the top of my fingernail, so I can really push
down on the eye and get that needle tilted back up and out of the quilt.

Elena, sketch upon request. lol

Old July 19th 03, 02:09 PM
Elena

Sighs.. I need more coffee. I meant:
Where it's convex past the middle of the upper half, I would have mine
CONCAVE.

Sorry for the confusion,
Elena

Old July 19th 03, 02:18 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

I have NEVER undestood who is the "genius" who thought thimbles should
be ROUND with a FLAT end! When I look at the end of my finger it looks
more rectangular with the corners rounded off. That sure would be a
starting place in my book..... and then in profile it tapers from the
tip to the pad..... and from the top it gets wider from the tip towards
the joint.... round and flat???? Sheesh!

Leslie of The Flattish Fingertips

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old July 19th 03, 04:18 PM
Diana Curtis

Thats ok Elena, I was confused long before that part. Long before I logged
onto the group this morning even.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 21st 03, 11:08 PM
Dragonfly

More finger-shaped....oval in cross-section at the open end, straight
for a little bit, then a flat part that tapers skinnier for probably
about 3/4" (that's the part over the pad of my finger), and somehow
rounding out over the tip of my finger.

Dragonfly

Old July 22nd 03, 04:23 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Would you pay extra for a custom fitted thimble? One that fit your finger
specifically?

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!

om...

Old July 22nd 03, 06:53 PM
Dragonfly

I dunno. Still trying to get used to using one! The thin leather
"nimble thimble" sorta works (but that hole is scarey and the metal
shield part of it isn't very big!), fat leather thimbles are too
bulky, and I haven't gotten a metal thimble that fits right.

I suppose it would depend on how much it cost! $10-20, probably would.
$30-45, maybe. Over $100, I seriously doubt it.

Dragonfly

"LN \(remove NOSPAM\)" wrote in message .. .
Would you pay extra for a custom fitted thimble? One that fit your finger
specifically?

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!

om...

Old July 22nd 03, 11:28 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

The first leather thimble I tried was one of those cheapie (kind of) sueded
things with the elastic band around the top (kind of like pajama elastic).
It worked remarkably well----when I could find it.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"Dragonfly" wrote in message
om...
I dunno. Still trying to get used to using one! The thin leather
"nimble thimble" sorta works (but that hole is scarey and the metal
shield part of it isn't very big!), fat leather thimbles are too
bulky, and I haven't gotten a metal thimble that fits right.

I suppose it would depend on how much it cost! $10-20, probably would.
$30-45, maybe. Over $100, I seriously doubt it.

Dragonfly

"LN \(remove NOSPAM\)" wrote in message

.. .
Would you pay extra for a custom fitted thimble? One that fit your

finger
specifically?

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!

"Dragonfly" wrote in message
om...
More finger-shaped....oval in cross-section at the open end, straight
for a little bit, then a flat part that tapers skinnier for probably
about 3/4" (that's the part over the pad of my finger), and somehow
rounding out over the tip of my finger.

Dragonfly

Perfect Package Knot Announcement O J Knots 0 January 12th 05 09:26 AM
fs&fa FOR PERFECT QUILT PIECING the Little Known Most Popular Singer Featherweight Vintage Accessory! singer_fw_iron_lover Marketplace 0 August 9th 04 04:30 PM
Perfect Package Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:17 AM
Perfect beading chairs Marisa Cappetta Beads 2 December 16th 03 11:21 PM
"Pattern Perfect"??? JM Beads 0 July 14th 03 12:54 AM