Table runners

Old October 31st 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Default Table runners

Hi

Two questions on table runners:

1) What size runner would you make to go on a 44" x 66" table?

2) Anyone got any good ideas for a two colour (red & white) runner?

My first thoughts are to pick one or two simple blocks from Quilter's
Cache and make a runner about 48" x 12" long.

Lizzy
Old October 31st 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

just thinking out loud....
do you want the runner to have equal space all around it so
it is centred on the table?
you can add sashing and/or end bits to extend the runner
using less blocks.
i've also seen blocks completely surrounded by
sashing/bordering the whole thing.
i've seen some nice runners with pointed ends rather than
just square...looked more finished imo.
putting blocks on point rather than straight is another
option which would give those pointed ends.
running the full length and adding tassels at each pointed
end is another way to do it.
double sided to use thru longer seasons...fall/winter,
spring/summer, fall/halloween with xmas/new yrs holiday
colours,
valentines day/st patricks day, not to forget easter...
bunnys, eggs, baskets, chicks.
no doubt more but blowed if i can think of any just this
second, lol.
i'm sure others will have better ideas.
jeanne

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote...

Old October 31st 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly D

Hi Lizzy,
Why not make a sampler runner using the BOM blocks. It would make it more
interesting to do.
For a table that size I'd make the runner about 18 inches wide by length of
table or a bit over if you want it to drape over the edge. 5 x12" blocks
with sashing and borders should do it nicely.
--
Elly
http://community.webshots.com/user/b...host=community

Old November 1st 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

There are several free table runner patterns at Connecting Threads
http://www.connectingthreads.com/fre...&pagesi ze=24

I would plan on making a wider than 12" runner for that width of table
- as you can see these designs are in the region of 17-18inches wide.
Any of them would adapt to a 2-colour idea.

jennellh

Old November 1st 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Table runners with tassels on overhanging pointed corners is mighty pretty.
I don't remember if Lizzy has an active QI or not. That could provide some
excitement, especially with a bowl of flowers and a couple of candlesticks.
Yes, indeed. Tassels have a message most humans can't hear - it says,
"Here, kitty, kitty." Polly

Old November 1st 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

roflmao, i should of thot of that, Polly.
my old gal is 16 1/2 yrs old now but still loves to play
with the bits of string we leave hanging around the house
just for her. also occasionally bats one of her few balls
around, like shes having a game of soccer.
they look pretty tho, lol.
jeanne

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old November 1st 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice

Polly,
HOW do you come up with these things? You always make me smile!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old November 1st 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I'm so glad, Alice. We don't have a kitty here but we remember. Oh my, do
we ever. Polly

"Alice" wrote Polly,
HOW do you come up with these things? You always make me smile!

Old November 1st 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:52:39 +0000, Lizzy Taylor
wrote:

Hi

Two questions on table runners:

1) What size runner would you make to go on a 44" x 66" table?

14.5 X 37 to 40 inches would look nice without taking up any space
under any place settings. If you want it to drop over the ends of the
table you need at least 14.5 X 70 inches.

2) Anyone got any good ideas for a two colour (red & white) runner?

http://www.quilterscache.com/W/WedgeandCircleBlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RibbonPuzzleBlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CastlesinSpainBlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/N/NotTooFussyBlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/S/Star&CrescentBlock.html

If you have many different reds to use:
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RedHerringsBlock.html
My first thoughts are to pick one or two simple blocks from Quilter's
Cache and make a runner about 48" x 12" long.

Lizzy

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 1st 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Polly Esther wrote:
Table runners with tassels on overhanging pointed corners is mighty pretty.
I don't remember if Lizzy has an active QI or not. That could provide some
excitement, especially with a bowl of flowers and a couple of candlesticks.
Yes, indeed. Tassels have a message most humans can't hear - it says,
"Here, kitty, kitty." Polly

These days I have a very active QI, new since May when my long time
companion crossed the rainbow bridge. He is now nearly a year old , but
these photos are from when we first got him:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13454123@N04/

However this table runner is not for me but part of a Christmas swap and
my partner has specified a red & white table runner.

I am getting some really good suggestions in this thread and promise I
will post a link to a picture of the finished item when I am done.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

Lizzy

designer bed covers runners and cushions [email protected] Yarn 0 September 17th 06 05:11 AM
table runners tslf Quilting 19 November 13th 04 06:02 PM
Wedding table runners KJ Quilting 9 June 6th 04 09:42 PM
Qulted Table Runners - Quilts Snowfeet1 Quilting 0 March 22nd 04 09:03 PM
Plain Table Cloth, Runners, etc. amy General Crafting 0 February 12th 04 02:01 PM