grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Old February 13th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

There is no way I can get 6 yards of fabric in a 1 pound or less Priority
Mail Tyvek envelope. 1 yard of fabric weighs almost a pound unless it is
gossamer thin chiffon. I could stuff that amount in the envelope but it
would more than likely bust open and would weigh well over 5 pounds.
Priority mail rate for 5#1 ounce = $11.90

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Shagmag" wrote in message
ups.com...
My suggestion is that you buy from online shops that do not gouge on
shipping.

You can get 6 yards in a Flat Rate Priority envelope. So anyone
charging you over $4.50-$4.75 is just making money on the shipping.
Same goes for the flat rate boxes. You can get 15-20 yards in a $8.10
box - so $8.50-$8.75 would be right in line. I realize that gas is
expense, but so are listing fees, photo fees, gallery fees, etc., and
if no one bids on your FQ or fabric that the seller is losing.

I would rather try to be competitive on fabric pricing and pass along
shipping than gouge a buyer. A FQ may not fly in the mail for $0.39,
but it should not cost more than $0.75 and anyone who charges $2.00 is
off their rocker. A stamp, envelope and the lick cannot cost them
$2.00.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I have sold fabric on ebay in the past and it
rubs me the wrong way that ebay sellers are doing this. I have to tell
you the entire ebay market is going down because of these types of
activities.

Just my Two cents...

Old February 13th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This is true but it is against ebay rules to charge the buyer for ebay fees.
When a seller tells you they are trying to recover paypal or ebay fees in
their "handling charge" you need to report them and include the email they
sent to you saying this was why they were charging so much. They will get
booted off ebay for doing that.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"IMS" wrote in message
What eBay charges sellers is based on the what the item sells for on the
auction. eBay doesn't inc. the shipping charge in this calculation, so
some sellers use the shipping charge as a way to make a little extra $
on the transaction.

-Irene

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:01:26 -0600, "teleflora"
wrote:

I would feel better if they would just tack an extra couple bucks on the
product and then charge ACTUAL shipping costs. This wouldn't work with an
auction, but the regular shops could do this. I know I pay more for a
product when I go where they charge No Shipping, but DAMN that makes me
happy!

Cindy And for the record, I think that the charge is for shipping AND
handling. Which would include the envelope and driving to the post office,
I guess.

"lisa skeen" wrote in message
link.net...
Surfing around ebay this afternoon I found a FQ I liked, but the woman
wants $2 to stick it in an envelope and mail it. I emailed her and said
she could put it in an envelope and mail it for 39 cents, could she be
more reasonable on the shipping price. She said her prices were lower
than anyone elses, and she wasn't going to lower the shipping price.

It seems to me in the last six months or so, there have been more and
more
people on ebay price gouging in the shipping department. Week before
last
I calculated the shipping on a 5-ounce book via media mail, $1.52. The
guy wanted over $5 for shipping!

I can understand adding a bit in the shipping department if you have to
do
a lot of packing, like I have to do for my pottery, but shoving a FQ into
an envelope, or a book even, that's a no-cost proposition other than the
postage. It's getting to the point where people want more for shipping
than you pay for the item. sigh I hate price gougers.

--
L. P. Skeen, Summerfield NC
Organized people are just too dang lazy to look for things.

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Old February 13th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

They sell the same quality fabric at Wal-mart as they do at the LQS but
Wal-mart also has some cheaper, thinner, non-brand names on their sale
tables. You're only fooling yourself if you think Wal-mart quality isn't as
good as LQS. It's the same stuff.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
" Ellison" wrote in message
t...
Howdy!
Unless it's cheap, discount fabric ala Wallyworld,
you'd pay $2 (or more) per FQ at a quilt shop or quilt show.
If this seller wants to be compensated for her own time and effort,
good for her; she can set the prices wherever she pleases
(those FQs don't cut/tear themselves g).
Money talks; yours can say, "No, thanks!" ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy

Old February 13th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yeah I know - I've found that Hancocks really nails you on shipping and
handling. I wait till I get a coupon for free s/h before I buy anything
from them anymore. I paid $7.95 for 1/2 yard of fabric once and never
again.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
k.net...
And furthermore - I bought the fun floral set of fqs from Hancocks from
their catalog. When they sent me the fqs, they also sent another
identical copy of their catalog.(Not at media rate but at my expense). I
ordered the colors that their fq set failed to include. They shipped them
and a 3rd copy of the same catalog. I would mention to them that I really
never needed 3 copies of the same catalog and didn't want to keep paying
for the postage on additional copies but don't want to press my luck. At
least, thus far, they've shipped what I ordered. Polly

Old February 13th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That would be true only for those folks who have home mail delivery.
People living in very small towns don't have home mail delivery and have
to go to the post office to pick up their mail.

Julia in MN

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
You can get priority mail supplies delivered to your home mail box FREE of
charge and print your postage at home to place on the FREE priority mail
envelopes and then put them in your home mail box and it will be picked up
the next time your mailman delivers your mail - FREE OF CHARGE. There is no
excuse for charging the outrageous amount they claim to charging.

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 13th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Gosh - no home delivery! We may have to walk down the road to the post
box to send mail, but all our incoming letters plop through the
letterbox in the front door. Even in remote places.

Long live the Royal Mail!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old February 13th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default fabric quality grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Howdy!
Darlin' girl, I'll just agree to disagree on this one.
I worked in the quilt shop, talked to the sales reps,
saw the difference in the fabric quality according to
where it's sold. Checked it out myself.
Have been to the garment & decorating
warehouse district in Dallas, too.
There is *often* a difference.
I know you have a friend who had a different experience & opinion.
My milage has varied. ;-)
http://www.fiddlesticksquilts.com/qu...ml#fabrictypes
http://www.quilthome.com/catalog/library.php?room=2
http://www.fabrics.net/cotqual.asp

Btw, thanks, Cindy, for the clarification on "price gouging."
Amen and amen.

with respect,
Ragmop/Sandy

Old February 13th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have a question concerning shipping and handling charges and I hope I
don't upset anyone with it. Why do people charge extra for post going to
Alaska, Hawaii, APO's and FPO's? All of these mailing destinations are
serviced by the US Postal Service. I am now in Alaska and have spent the
last 12 years receiving my mail at APOs and have always wondered this.

When we want to ship items to folks in CONUS (the regular 48 states) we are
not charged any extra nor is there any reason the Post Office can find for
us being charged extra to receive items at these locations.

I would appreciate any input to my ponderings. Just one of those questions
that has always bugged me. Oh to clarify, I mean on items going Priority or
regular US Mail, not heavy items. I fully understand the reasoning behind
prices when shipping computers and furniture and the like as they often go
by container service in some form or another.

Anita in Alaska wondering if the East Coast has any snow it would like to
ship up here since it seems the Spring is trying to arrive ahead of
schedule.

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
That's exactly why I ship my FQs free. Shame on them for gouging people
on shipping cost.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old February 14th 06, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Its awful... I paid $6 USD to ship something in an envelope to me... I
politely aske dthe guy if he could bypass fancy shipping options and stick
it in an envelope... no reply at all.... I bought it as it was a perfect
gift for my son but when it arrived.... the thing came from Toronto Canada.
So I paid $6USD to ship a couple provinces over in an envelope he put a 50
cent canadian stamp on. I was so mad :[

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Carissa in BC

Old February 14th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I hear ya loud and clear. It's okay to disagree with me. I'm just basing
my statements on a lady who owned her own quilt shop and who is now a buyer
for Walmart General Offices. They buy 1000's of bolts of the same print
fabric from the same vendors as the LQS - it's the same fabric (thread count
and quality) but because they buy in bulk they get a discount. Makes sense.
A LQS may buy 1-2 bolts of the same print and Walmart is buying 1000s of the
same print. I don't think the vendor would be in business very long if they
sold only their best 2 bolts only to the LQS. I would think their best
would go to the buyer with the most quantity and turn over. I wouldn't be
surprised that they tell the LQS those fairy tales to justify charging them
the premium wholesale prices they charge to them. It was quite discouraging
to my friend. Her shop was called Makin' Memories in Lowell, AR. Walmart
does sell less quality on their $1 & $2 tables - I like them for backing -
but their regular priced $3.47/yard fabric is the same fabric the LQS is
charging $15/yard for.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

" Ellison" wrote in message
t...
Howdy!
Unless it's cheap, discount fabric ala Wallyworld,
you'd pay $2 (or more) per FQ at a quilt shop or quilt show.
If this seller wants to be compensated for her own time and effort,
good for her; she can set the prices wherever she pleases
(those FQs don't cut/tear themselves g).
Money talks; yours can say, "No, thanks!" ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy

OT Price gouging!!! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 50 August 31st 05 07:09 AM
Stash Sale Ranee Mueller Yarn 10 July 19th 04 03:28 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM