Finished September BOMs!!

Old November 2nd 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

Default Finished September BOMs!!

I'm on a roll. Tonight I finished the three blocks for September. The
applique is NOT getting any easier for me. I modified one of the
three choices given!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...46414451jLGqxe

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle
Old November 2nd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

wow, great job, Carole.
you just get better and better.
keep'em come'n.
cheers,
jeanne

"Carole-Retired and Loving It" wrote...

Old November 2nd 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Carole, I'm wondering - I studied your appliqués and they look great. I
suppose you're meaning they're no pleasure. Could it be that the fabrics
you're using are contrary? Try something a little more easy-going, a heart
pretty well has both the challenges of inside and outside points but I don't
mean shape. You might enjoy a fabric that is finely woven but soft. Some
fabrics are going to have pokeys come Hell or high water and some are just
too stiff to curve gracefully. It may not be your skill that's troubling
you, it just may be the fabric. I attempted some garland borders that fought
with me every stitch of the way. It is now located in the Swamp landfill.
Polly

"Carole-Retired and Loving It" wrote in
message ...

Old November 2nd 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

applique edges are sometimes on the straight of grain and
sometimes on the bias.
one edge following the last, easy, hard, easy, hard, and
keeps testing ones patience.
that is why i use interfacing method as often as possible
even when i have to adapt the pattern somehow.
close is close enough in my mind.
as long as you like the final result thats really all that
matters.
cheers,
jeanne

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old November 2nd 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly D

LOL You have a wonderful way with words Polly

Old November 2nd 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly D

Hi to everyone doing this BOM thingy. (And anyone just lurking)

Carole is doing a great job with her blocks I've enjoyed seeing them coming
along and can't wait to see the final quilt.
Just wondering where everyone else's is/are? Just curious that's all...
no nudging honest.
Elly

Old November 2nd 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Thank you kindly, Elly. I was hoping to remind Carole that appliqué can be
a real joy but some fabrics take all the fun out of it. Polly

Old November 2nd 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

You're right, Miz Polly. They're NO pleasure. They look reasonably
okay when they're finished, if you don't look too closely. I don't
like doing the tiny stitching, and I worry GREATLY that those inner
angles are going to fray the first time the quilt gets washed. I'd
feel better if these were for a wall hanging but this is a bed quilt
that will be used.

I'm stuck with the fabrics for this quilt, since they're chosen and
bought and are what this quilt is going to made of.

This time I tried starting with Ami Simms' method of invisible
applique. I've been trying different things to see what works best
for me. I love this method for straight and gently curved edges and
even points, but the inner angles and curves are still a challenge.

So far I've had the best luck just putting two fabrics right side
together, machine sewing around the design, clipping, slitting the
backing, and turning the whole thing inside out. Then that gets
stitched into place. After doing three oak leaves and the acorn Ami's
way, I did the other three this way. This is less nervewracking but
leaves a little more bulk, even though I cut most of the backing away.

I don't like the "basting and/or ironing to freezer paper" way, or the
"glue stick" way. I've had good success with fusibles and machine
satin stitching, but that wasn't the look I wanted for this quilt.

So, I'll keep at it and maybe it will get easier!

Old November 2nd 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

Thanks! The BOMs are a learning challenge, because I end up doing
blocks I probably would never choose for myself because I'd feel they
were too hard or would take too long. This stretches me! It also
helps to have a goal. I want this to be a finished Christmas present
by December 2008!

Old November 2nd 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

You're good! I've done the pieced block, halfway through the PP.
Roberta in D

"Carole-Retired and Loving It" schrieb
im Newsbeitrag ...