Problem with pattern

Old March 5th 05, 04:49 PM

Default Problem with pattern

I have been a customer of Mary Maxim for years. Love them! I'm
crocheting a baby afghan. It requires rounds with sc, 5ch to make a
large space. There are 3 rounds before I start the clusters. The
first round I count 140 ch5 spaces, second round 144 ch5 spaces, and
when I get to the third round I'm supposed to have 148 ch5 spaces, but
what I get is 149 ch5 spaces. Can anyone tell me what the devil I'm
doing? This is supposed to be for an Easter present, maybe for
2010.......

Old March 5th 05, 06:23 PM
Sonya Cirillo

There's not enough info here for me to say what might be wrong other
than the obvious - it looks like you're suppose to be increasing by 4
and you increased by 5 the second time. . .

If you give the instruction and/or the name of the pattern (in case
someone here has done it before) . . . we can try and help better.

Good luck!

Sonya

Old March 6th 05, 02:35 AM

Thank you for responding. The pattern is Mary Maxim from the Pattern
Booklet 3015, and called the Special Memories Baby Afghan. The body of
the afghan is beautiful. I completed Rnds 1, 2, and 3 with the correct
ch 5 sps. Rnd 4 reads like this: Ch 1, sc in same sp ch 5, sc in next
ch-5 sp, ch 5, (sc, ch 5) twice in next corner ch-5 sp * (sc in next
ch-5 sp, ch 5) across to next corner ch-5 sp, (sc, ch 5) twice in
corner ch 5 sp; repeat from * 2 times more, (sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5)
across; join with slip st to first sc: 148 ch-5 sps.

If I go to the end, and sl st in the sc, I end up with 149 ch-5 spaces,
and it puts me right at the corner sp [where you do the two sc and ch
5]. Now if I work across until I have 148 spaces I'm left with the
area that I could work Rnd 5 in, but that really through me off the
first few times I tried doing this. Rnd 5 reads like this: Slip st in
first ch-5sp, ch 3, 4 dc in smae sp, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5, (sc,
ch5) twice in next corner ch-5 sp, *(sc in next ch-5 sp, 5 dc in next
ch-5 sp, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5) across to next corner ch-5 sp, (sc,
ch 5) twice in corner ch-5 sp; repeat from * 2 times more, sc in next
ch-5 sp, (5dc in next ch-5 sp, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5, sc in next
ch-5 sp) across; join with slip st to first dc; 48 5-dc groups and 56
ch-5 sps.

It just is not getting through to my simple brain. I've been trying to
get this done so many times now that I know I must be making it more
difficult than it really is.

I live in an area where there are too many that do needlework, but also
are not very willing to help. I really appreciate you responding.
Thank you.

Old March 6th 05, 02:43 AM

Thanks to you. I have done that also and am waiting for hopefully an
answer soon. Sometimes companies are so busy it takes them quite a
while, so I thought I would post a message. cya

Old March 6th 05, 02:49 AM

Hi,

You might get faster service from Mary Maxim if you gave them a call.
I've done that before and they have always been very helpful.

Hugs,

Nora

Old March 6th 05, 11:41 AM
Sonya Cirillo

OK - the clue is - that when you finish you are at the corner - but
according of the instructions you start 2 ch-5 spaces before a corner.

If you do Rnd 4 like it says - you will end up with however many
stitches you started with plus 4 more (increases at the corners). . .

So here are what I would look for:
1) For Rnd 3 do you finish at a corner and are suppose to break off - or
are you a couple 'stitches' away from the corner when you finish Rnd 3?

2) If you are not in the place they are starting for Rnd 4 you could be
putting an extra ch-5 loop in the corner space (the logical place for
people to start - a corner. . . this is the first pattern I've seen that
starts a couple 'stitches' before a corner.).

3) If you've been placed into the right starting position - then try
marking the first sc (I've used a loop of different color yarn, saftey
pin, paperclip, hair/bobby pin. . .) and that will help from running
over the top of it - but I can't see how you'd end up with an extra
stitch that way . . .

so I'm betting you are starting in the 'wrong' stitch somehow. . .

Good luck!!!!!

Sonya

Old March 6th 05, 12:17 PM
Katherine

I second what Nora said. I called them once when I had a problem with a
knitting pattern. The lady who answered the phone talked me through it.

Katherine