OT stain removal?

Old December 12th 04, 07:37 AM
Elizabeth Young

Default OT stain removal?

Got a black Sharpie (perm marker) mark on my white cotton/poly sweatshirt.
I have tried two applications of Shout Ultra Concentrated stain removal
- removed some of the stain on the first pass, no change on the 2nd.
Any super duper tips on how to get this out?

liz young
Old December 12th 04, 08:48 AM
Trish Brown

Elizabeth Young wrote:

Got a black Sharpie (perm marker) mark on my white cotton/poly sweatshirt.
I have tried two applications of Shout Ultra Concentrated stain removal
- removed some of the stain on the first pass, no change on the 2nd.
Any super duper tips on how to get this out?

liz young

I've had my best results with ordinary metho (white alcohol). Rinse
gently with soapy water and then dry in the sun. Leave as long as you
can in the sun for the best results.

HTH,

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old December 12th 04, 10:47 AM
Valkyrie

I ran a black Sharpie through a dryer load of whites. I tried just about
everything you could imagine to get that out and nothing worked, I whole
load of white blouses, T-shirts, socks, etc, ruined. I even called the
Sharpie people and they said I probably wouldn't get it out, that's why it's
called PERMANENT. *sigh* I was using one of the Tshirts for a dust rag and
realized that the Lemon Pledge was dissolving it. Terrific, I'd already cut
things up for rags

Val

om...

Old December 12th 04, 02:20 PM
M. K. Gunn

First of all it is best to use the alcohol method to start with or even hair
spray. Years ago when my daughter was young I had a similiar problem with a
new shirt that I had just made for her in desporation I dumped on Mr. Clean
and it miraculasly took it out. I figured the shirt was ruined so if it
worked great if it didn't I hadn't lost anything. The Lemon Pledge idea
sounds good but wonder if that would then add another problem (oil) to the
situation.
MKG

Old December 12th 04, 03:51 PM
Dee

Elizabeth Young wrote in
om:

Got a black Sharpie (perm marker) mark on my white cotton/poly
sweatshirt. I have tried two applications of Shout Ultra Concentrated
stain removal - removed some of the stain on the first pass, no change
on the 2nd. Any super duper tips on how to get this out?

liz young

You might try acetone (nail polish remover). It has worked well for me on
marker (don't know if mine was "permanent" or not).

Dee
Old December 12th 04, 07:59 PM
Sally Holmes

Elizabeth Young wrote:
Got a black Sharpie (perm marker) mark on my white cotton/poly
sweatshirt. I have tried two applications of Shout Ultra Concentrated
stain removal - removed some of the stain on the first pass, no
change on the 2nd.
Any super duper tips on how to get this out?

I would try cheap hair spray, but not on the sweatshirt - mark a piece of
white poly/cotton with the Sharpie and try that. You don't want to find that
it leaves green rings!

Also worth a try: meths, nail polish remover and isopropyl alcohol.

Don't heat it until you've got the stain out.

Oh, and please let me know if anything works!

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old December 13th 04, 05:18 PM
Elizabeth Young

Sally Holmes wrote:
Elizabeth Young wrote:

Got a black Sharpie (perm marker) mark on my white cotton/poly
sweatshirt. I have tried two applications of Shout Ultra Concentrated
stain removal - removed some of the stain on the first pass, no
change on the 2nd.
Any super duper tips on how to get this out?

I would try cheap hair spray, but not on the sweatshirt - mark a piece of
white poly/cotton with the Sharpie and try that. You don't want to find that
it leaves green rings!

Also worth a try: meths, nail polish remover and isopropyl alcohol.

Don't heat it until you've got the stain out.

Oh, and please let me know if anything works!

OK I tried isopropyl alcohol first, since I don't have nail polish
remover. Then I stopped trying stuff because the alcohol worked!
I think that it just diluted the stain (it was just a thin line to begin
with). I probably should have laid the stain face down on papertowels
and applied IA from the back, but what I did (pouring right on the
sweatshirt in an early morning fog) worked well enough.

liz young

Oil stain on fabric Liz Needlework 1 January 11th 05 05:24 AM
Glass stock removal test for cerium oxide mjj Glass 0 January 11th 05 12:54 AM
alcohol based wood stain as leather dye? RD General Crafting 0 December 6th 04 01:43 AM
Quilt stain removal aluap Quilting 4 November 15th 03 05:53 PM
Glaze Stain Apple needed [email protected] Pottery 0 July 20th 03 02:20 AM