Featherweight questions

Old October 18th 04, 12:22 PM
Polly Esther

Default Featherweight questions

The neighbor that is learning to quilt is sewing on annoying junk and has
asked about Featherweights. Can you drop the feeddogs on a Featherweight to
free-motion quilt? And, we see more than one model number. Are some more
likely to be reliable than others? She is so excited about creating quilts
and I would love to help her find something that will let her stitch instead
of struggle. Thank you kindly, Polly

Old October 18th 04, 12:50 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Sorry, Polly, you can't drop the feed dogs on the 221 (the real
Featherweight). But your neighbor would never regret buying a FW for
piecing. It's the best sewing machine in the world (IMNSHO) for sewing a
straight stitch. There are other Singers that do have that feed-dog
dropping capability. May I suggest doing a google search at Featherweight
Fanatics? There is tons of information available there about FWs and other
Singer machines. Here's the link: http://www.featherweightfanatics.com/

Perhaps she might look at an older Kenmore for MQ? My 1977 (approximately)
model does have the capability of dropping the feed dogs, zigzag,
buttonholes and many other useful features; and in spite of making several
quilts and lots of other goodies, it has *never* seen the inside of a repair
shop. The under-arm area (ewwww---wish I knew the correct term!) will take
a double-bed quilt quite well. I've never made a queen size, though, it
might be too small for that. I've read many posts on the FWF newsletter
that folks love the Singer 301 for MQ. I've never seen one, but I
understand that there is more room on the bed under the arm to maneuver the
quilt.

Just my two cents on that subject.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

. net...

Old October 18th 04, 01:09 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you Carolyn. I cut my teeth on the Singer 301 (probably wherever she
is, she looks like it) and was only going to suggest the Featherweight
because the 301 is heavy. I know the 301 will do what she needs; we'll get
started hunting. I appreciate your answer. Polly

Old October 18th 04, 01:54 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

The neighbor that is learning to quilt is sewing on annoying junk and has
asked about Featherweights. Can you drop the feeddogs on a Featherweight to
free-motion quilt? And, we see more than one model number. Are some more
likely to be reliable than others? She is so excited about creating quilts
and I would love to help her find something that will let her stitch instead
of struggle. Thank you kindly, Polly

There are two versions of the Featherweight: one has a free arm and the
other doesn't. You cannot drop the feed dogs. The gap through the
middle is small (it's a dinky little machine), and while you can get
feed dog cover plates, you will only ever fit a small quilt under it for
quilting.

Brilliant machine for straight line sewing and piecing, mind. I love
mine for both quilty stuff and dressmaking, but for quilting anything
bigger than a small lap or baby quilt, choose something bigger. You can
see mine in my web site - URL below.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 18th 04, 02:56 PM
taria

Feed dogs go down on the 222 (the freearm style FW). They are pricey
though. The standard black or even white 221 FW does not have feed dogs
that drop. There is a plate for feed dog covering or you can even
cover with a piece of cardboard or plastic but I wouldn't recommend
a lot of MQ'ing with a FW because of the size. The 301 is wonderful IMO.
I would rather piece on a 301 than a FW any day. Dogs on the 301 do
drop and the machine is a tad larger so more room to work when quilting.
The weight of a FW in its case is about the same as a 301 out of the
case and the 301 can just be schlepped around by its handy handle.
If you get the cradle you can drop it into any most any SInger cabinet
and the set up is wonderful. The 301 prices are pretty good too.
Actually a SInger 201 or 15 are great full size machines that are great
to quilt on too. Even a 99 makes a very pretty stitch but boy its heavy.
There is some info on my old web page that might help :
http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/taria/index.htm

I wonder how many folks get discouraged with sewing because of rotten
machines?
I was nosing around on EBay the other day. A very nice Bernina 1008
seems to be selling there for $600 or so. That is a wonderful machine
that I would imagine anyone could enjoy for years.

Glad you are helping your neighbor out Polly.
Taria

Old October 18th 04, 03:33 PM
Polly Esther

Way too many just give up, I expect, because of SM junk. She asked what I
thought about her buying a new machine at Wally for about $250. I told her
"over my dead body". Didn't want to leave any doubt. I didn't know about
the 201 and 15; thank you Taria. Polly

"taria" wrote

Old October 18th 04, 04:13 PM
Roberta Zollner

Featherweights just aren't hunky enough for satisfactory machine quilting of
anything larger than a table mat. It is their only flaw, but of course this
is the trade-off for lighter weight. I do love my elderly Singer 216,
especially for the huge amount of thread the bobbin will hold. Haven't
measured scientifically, but I estimate it is at least half again as much as
the Pfaff bobbin. And that machine is the Rock of Gibraltar, sits in its
cabinet and doesn't budge. Even my delightful Pfaff will occasionally scoot
over the table a little bit when attacked by a heavy quilt!

Old October 18th 04, 05:56 PM
Irene Scott

Hi Polly,

The feeddogs do not drop on the 'regular' 221 FW; however they DO drop
on the 222K, which is the free-arm version of the FW. On the 221, the
feeddogs can be covered. Singer made feeddog covers and there are
generic ones available also.

If she is not in need of a portable machine, other vintage Singers with
droppable feed dogs are the 201 and 15-91 models. Both of these have
LARGE areas under the 'harp' for those big projects.

-Irene

Old October 18th 04, 05:57 PM
Irene Scott

The 301 is just a few lbs heavier than the FW *but* it has a built in
handle so you don't need the case to carry it around in - so the weight
probably evens out.

-Irene

Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

k.net...