Replacing bra shelf foam with horsehair?

Old July 1st 06, 09:04 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sally Holmes

Default Replacing bra shelf foam with horsehair?

Pora, have you seen Bravissimo, www.bravissimo.co.uk? They cater
specifically for ladies to whom the Bosom Fairy has been generous and,
although they don't go up to a size 48J, they do at least photograph
their bras on generously-endowed women.

I find Freya bras very comfortable, particularly FY41 and FY14. You
can't see the seam in the lower cup of FY14, but it's in the same
place as FY41. I reckon you could pare down the top of the cup of FY14
to give a much more revealing bra without loosing support.

On the subject of fitting: like shoes, every manufacturer has a
different idea of sizes. I've been told that La Senza's fitting policy
is to sell a bra, any bra, rather than loose the sale, and their
fitters are told that if they get the largest cup in a band size and
it's too small, they should just keep going up a band size until they
find one the fits the cup even though the wearer can practically turn
round in it. I know this is also true of Victoria's Secret in the US:
my skinny UK-size-10/US-size-6 DD was told she needs a 36D there.
Ridiculous! Bravissimo put her in a 30E and it fits perfectly.

I like Bravissimo (can you tell?) and if there's a shop near you I
suggest going to have a bra fitted. You may find that your band size
drops significantly.

I just had a look at the larger sizes at www.figleaves.co.uk and, hmm,
they are rather... err... functional, aren't they?

Underwires: just thinking laterally, has anyone tried cutting
underwires from flexible plastic such as milk cartons or slightly
heavier? It's easy to cut and you could smooth it with sandpaper. If
you put the flat side against the body it would curve around the body
but not droop. If you use something like a Flexicurve you could make
custom-fitted underwires that replicate the shape of the underneath of
the breast perfectly by actually tucking the Flexicurve in place and
removing it without changing the shape, and a slightly tear-drop shape
would give a rounded end under the arm to give more support and less
inclination to poke.

Sally
Old July 1st 06, 10:14 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

Sally Holmes wrote:

Pora, have you seen Bravissimo, www.bravissimo.co.uk? They cater
specifically for ladies to whom the Bosom Fairy has been generous and,
although they don't go up to a size 48J, they do at least photograph
their bras on generously-endowed women.

Would this be one of theirs?
http://digitalcartography.com/boobs/...sManhattan.jpg
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.alternate-universe
Old July 1st 06, 12:36 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Olwyn Mary

Then it's a good thing my *solicited* opinion was given to Pora
regarding her customer--- not you.

I'm sorry, I was not aware that yours was the only opinion being solicited.
When we say that a bra gives uplift,
we obviously don't mean the vertical thrust needed to hoist a rocket
from a launch pad into outer space. By the same token, when we say that
any bra that wraps around the body applies compression, we surely do not
mean the exaggerated and often painful constriction necessary for
radiography--- unless, of course, it is one's intention to hyperbolize.

Phae

No, that wasn't obvious at all from the post to which I was replying.
You made a flat statement with no qualifyers.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old July 1st 06, 02:23 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
claire.owen

Pogonip wrote:
Sally Holmes wrote:

Pora, have you seen Bravissimo, www.bravissimo.co.uk? They cater
specifically for ladies to whom the Bosom Fairy has been generous and,
although they don't go up to a size 48J, they do at least photograph
their bras on generously-endowed women.

Would this be one of theirs?
http://digitalcartography.com/boobs/...sManhattan.jpg

naughty LOL

Claire in Montréal France.

Old July 1st 06, 03:25 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article ,
Olwyn Mary wrote:

Phae wrote:

Mary wrote:
I, too, have a generous bust, but the only time I want
compression is when my boobs are on the mammogram shelf , and I
don't need full coverage. Bosoms on the half-shell are quite all
right for me in underwear, my outergarments will cover my assets
and maintain my modesty, thank you. As far as structure is
concerned, what I need is some REAL engineering and cantileverage
to give me the support I need.

Then it's a good thing my *solicited* opinion was given to Pora
regarding her customer--- not you.

I'm sorry, I was not aware that yours was the only opinion being solicited.

I never said it was. Again, you are making an erroneous assumption.

When we say that a bra gives uplift,
we obviously don't mean the vertical thrust needed to hoist a rocket
from a launch pad into outer space. By the same token, when we say that
any bra that wraps around the body applies compression, we surely do not
mean the exaggerated and often painful constriction necessary for
radiography--- unless, of course, it is one's intention to hyperbolize.

Phae

No, that wasn't obvious at all from the post to which I was replying.
You made a flat statement with no qualifyers.

You might have asked before jumping to the conclusion that I'd somehow
be making a suggestion that was harmful or painful. Good grief!

Further, I somehow missed your suggestions on how that Pora's bra could
be improved or your constructive rationale on why my suggestions were so
off base.

Phae

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)
Old July 1st 06, 03:40 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article ,
Joy Beeson wrote:

On 30 Jun 2006 04:01:55 -0700, wrote:

but on the original idea.... have you considered moving away from the
fabric idea completely?

On the other hand, my bras are fabric entirely, save for elastic at
the bottom. And I'm thinking of changing from boxer-shorts elastic to
three rows of quarter-inch elastic to see whether it's more
comfortable.

In essence, my bras are tightly-fitted sleeveless T-shirts with
elastic under the breasts -- but I find that woven linen cut on the
bias gives better support than knit fabric -- and it's more
predictable; I had to re-tweak the pattern for every batch of knit.

I find a bra quite essential when I'm up and walking around, but when
I'm reading usenet on a hot evening I'll abandon my wet bra in favor
of tucking the front of my shirt into the sweaty overlap. (All my
slopping-around shirts are linen or much-washed 100% cotton, so they
make fairly decent towels.)

I just love those ideas! It's very much more in the corset vein except
with modern materials and no bones. And I have pondered a similar
bolero type affair, w/o the sleeves of course, for leisure and night
wear.

Old July 1st 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article . com,
"wurstergirl" wrote:

wurstergirl wrote:
Phaedrine wrote:
Sorry, Pora. I did not mean to sound so terse or bossy! It was late
and I was in a hurry... sorry.

Don't worry offence taken :-)

Aw, sh!t. That's supposed to say "NO offense taken..." What kind of
brain fart was that?

I do appreciate the clarification. I'd hoped you were just kidding.

I'm reconsidering your suggestion about boning in cups. Can't talk
much right now, but I think I've got an elegant idea sprouting in my
head. Something along the lines of using reinforced vertical
flat-felled-type seams in a thinner shelf to create more rigidity.
Like the fan-shaped boning of victorian corsets?

Good thinking! I've been cogitating along similar lines but with
ridgelene or, preferably, some of the other, softer synthetic boning.
The German plastic bones are quite good. Farthingales has them and
other synthetic boning:

http://www.farthingales.on.ca/plastic_bones.php

I'm used to thinking in terms of spring steel because that's what you
use almost exclusively for corsets. I guess that's why I didn't think
of the synthetics before.

Just came back from visiting 48J. Got a good look at the stretchy bra
on her and have rejected the whole project. Exactly as you described,
the powernet frame was nowhere near her body and her breasts were
drooping most unsatisfactorily.

Back to the drawing board.

Pora

Old July 1st 06, 04:19 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article ,
Sally Holmes wrote:

Underwires: just thinking laterally, has anyone tried cutting
underwires from flexible plastic such as milk cartons or slightly
heavier? It's easy to cut and you could smooth it with sandpaper. If
you put the flat side against the body it would curve around the body
but not droop. If you use something like a Flexicurve you could make
custom-fitted underwires that replicate the shape of the underneath of
the breast perfectly by actually tucking the Flexicurve in place and
removing it without changing the shape, and a slightly tear-drop shape
would give a rounded end under the arm to give more support and less
inclination to poke.

Plastic does give some support but rigidity is the problem. For awhile
there, lots of bras were being made with plastic underwires but they
mostly stopped because they break so much. I've retired scores of such
bras to the broken-plastic-wire-cemetery. For F cups+, you get far
more rigidity with a thin steel wire than with any similarly sized
plastic. Nonetheless, I suspect that plastic boning does have some
possibilities for improving the larger-cup bras.

I was recently bra hunting and I looked at the Freyas online, especially
the balcony bras. They are indeed beautiful and they even have them in
my size which is amazing. What deterred me was that I have very narrow
shoulders (and ribcage... I'm usually looking at a 34H) and they seemed
to have a very wide strap placement. Our local bra & corset shop does
not yet carry them. Alas. Are they as wide at the shoulders as they
seem? And the other thing is that the straps are all so narrow. A
really great bra does not depend much on the straps for support but I
cannot tell just from pictures. So your experience would be helpful.

Phae

Old July 1st 06, 04:20 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article , Pogonip
wrote:

Sally Holmes wrote:

Pora, have you seen Bravissimo, www.bravissimo.co.uk? They cater
specifically for ladies to whom the Bosom Fairy has been generous and,
although they don't go up to a size 48J, they do at least photograph
their bras on generously-endowed women.

Would this be one of theirs?
http://digitalcartography.com/boobs/...sManhattan.jpg

Hah! I love it.... bra eats Manhattan..... ::laughing::