Compact sewing machine suggestion

Old February 1st 05, 11:32 PM

Fiddy wrote:

Christian kids don't have extracurricular fun at college? Boy, that's
not a great recruiting tool! LOL

She's carrying 14 hours of classes, working 18 hours a week, and going
to soccer games and visiting the library (she's an inveterate bookworm
and spent at least an hour on the phone GUSHING about all the great
books they have in the library) for recreation.
Old February 1st 05, 11:34 PM

Karen Maslowski wrote:
LOL! The previous poster (the one I was replying to) sort of implied
(at least I thought so) that a college student would be too busy being
wild to sew. Hopefully, she's still having a good time being young and
in college!

She's not the wild type, but she is having a wonderful time. After her
high school years, where a lot of militant home school supremacists
looked down on her because she came from a broken home (which was
neither her or my fault), she is somewhere where everybody is basically
on the same page she is (or they wouldn't have wanted to go there -- Bob
Jones University has as distinct of a reputation as Brigham Young
University in its own fundamental-separatist style) and they don't care
that she came from a broken home or that we don't live as affluent of a
lifestyle as they might.
Old February 1st 05, 11:35 PM

Kate Dicey wrote:

Let her do a term without a machine as she chose not to take one. If
she rants about needing one, THEN think about what to let her take.

It would have cost her $80 to take it on the airplane, and we agreed
that I would find her an appropriate one and send it to her.

She might want to think about the sort of use she'd put
it to before thinking about the model...

I suppose I ought to ask her how important zigzag is to her. I'm sure I
could find her a 301 somewhere if she can't arrange to use the schools
machines when needed.
Old February 1st 05, 11:37 PM

georg wrote:

Maybe her sophmore year she'll take her sewing machine, who knows. Talk
to her about it.

She's not coming back except for Christmas for the next 4-6 years unless
she ends up having to drop out to work more to pay for her tuition. And
we both agree that she cannot take a machine with her -- they are all
too big to take as carryon, and my dad flew for TWA for 40 years before
he retired and I know too many horror stories about checked-in luggage
that I will not let her take one as check-in luggage.
Old February 1st 05, 11:38 PM

Pat in Virginia wrote:

... to say nothing of studying. So, I too suspect the college freshman
will have little or no time to sew.

She doesn't want to sew -- she wants to make sure that she keeps her
clothing in good repair.
Old February 1st 05, 11:42 PM
Kate Dicey

Karen Maslowski wrote:

Only Kate could get into trouble with boys via a sewing machine! LOL
Please explain how you managed that!

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Kate Dicey wrote:

My ole hand crank got me into (and out of!) more trouble than I care
to mention at college! Yup, with the boys... And it was a C of E
college with PLENTY extra curricular activities.

The Outdoor Education types - those who were doing a combination of
climbing/mountaineering, sailing, white water canoe stuff... Always
ripping gear and needing it mended. I ended up one afternoon with 3
blokes sitting in my room with no trousers on while I sewed bits back on
their breeks! They were also the crew who had me sewing the lorry tarp
(Ian's Land Rover [ex army and... hm... 'tatty' fits the bill!] needed a
new one made from a tarp that literally fell off the back of a lorry
onto his bonnet on the A1!), spray decks for the circumnavigation or
Ireland by kayak (all the way round with no land support team!), and
various other things like tent zips - for which I was payed in beer,
bottles of wine, free trips to Scotland (and guaranteed place in a tent,
rather than having to bivvy), and other things. I was dangled off
rocks, hauled up hills, given hypothermia and resuscitated from it,
dunked out of kayaks into the river, and generally shown a good time as
only mountain freaks can do it!

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 1st 05, 11:44 PM

mamahays wrote:

machine.... Maybe a really good, well stocked, but small hand sewing kit
would be a better idea. That way if she needed to do some mending, she
could. But she wouldn't have to give up any room.

That gives me an idea. My mom used to have an old hand-held sewing
thing that made a chain stitch, and my dad used to have a sewing awl to
use on leather. Maybe something like that, which would give her a
better stitch than she can do by hand, might work.
Old February 1st 05, 11:52 PM
KJ

Perhaps her campus parent has a machine she could borrow when the need
arises. I saw the outside gates to BJU when in Greenville with my DD when
she visited Furman U. Nice part of the country, but I'm glad she stuck
closer to home. I hope your DD has a wonderful experience there.

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Karen Maslowski wrote:
Since Melinda's daughter is at a Christian college, she may just need
something to keep her busy when she's not studying. I vote for sending
her a machine. My daughter asked for one last year (her second year at
college), and she actually used it. Plus, she left it in her storage
locker over the summer, which surprised and thrilled me.

Not only is it a Christian college, but it's an old-school fundamental
separatist college and has some of the strictest rules around -- as an
underclass female under age 23, I think the age limit is, she's not
allowed off campus without either an upperclass female, a faculty/staff
member of the college, or an adult immediate relative (parent,
grandparent, aunt, uncle -- not a sibling) to accompany her. That is
for her own protection and for the sake of the University maintaining
the reputation that she went there for. Not your typical college
experience. She has a "campus parent" who wil take her on errands, but
this campus parent has two "campus daughters" (and, I understand, an
adorable Miniature Schnauzer) and they all go places all at the same time.

Old February 1st 05, 11:54 PM
georg

georg wrote:

Maybe her sophmore year she'll take her sewing machine, who knows.
Talk to her about it.

She's not coming back except for Christmas for the next 4-6 years unless
she ends up having to drop out to work more to pay for her tuition. And
we both agree that she cannot take a machine with her -- they are all
too big to take as carryon, and my dad flew for TWA for 40 years before
he retired and I know too many horror stories about checked-in luggage
that I will not let her take one as check-in luggage.

This part I didn't know. That makes more sense now. You hadn't said she
did say she wanted one, and that's why I was pushing the "talk to her
and make sure she wants one."

I hope you both find one you agree on.

-georg
Old February 2nd 05, 12:28 AM
Lisa Ellis

Kate Dicey wrote:

[...]

Now I know you had a good time in college...

lisae