Children's Sleepwear

Old April 10th 04, 11:46 PM

Children's Sleepwear

This must mean the lynch party will show up on my doorstep
momentarily, as I have been posting places and things sewing-related
quite a bit lately, including the fact that I am getting rid of a bunch
of sewing and quilting books.
Maybe if I ply them with wine and good food and an endless supply of
ribald sewing stories they will forget why they brought the rope...
Cea it's all a tempest in a teacup, m'dear.
---
(Peggy)
It seems I can't even breathe in these newsgroups without someone
adding their 2 cents about what I should and shouldn't be doing. I was
told that it was UNACCEPTABLE to cross post!!! Not only that, but as a
regular poster in these groups I thought it would be acceptable some
time ago to post that I was listing an interesting series of sewing
books for sale. I was told this was acceptable protocol in "alt"
newsgroups. Not only did I receive a bunch of rude e-mails from people
who didn't appreciate my posting, but I was also reported to BOTH eBay
and Sympatico, by two different busybodies. Despite this, the person who
started one of these newsgroups e-mailed me to say that my original
posting WAS acceptable, especially since it was on topic.
I would like to know how the people who continually post "See Christina
Aguilera Naked" are still around without hassle and a regular poster who
made ONE simple sewing book sale posting was harrassed from every
direction. I think all of you Newsgroup Police need to get a life!

Old April 11th 04, 01:54 AM
Ann Knight

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:59:44 UTC, "Mike Behrent"
wrote:

unless it's from someone running the group, ignore them.

Who runs unmoderated newsgroups?

Old April 11th 04, 02:03 AM
Ann Knight

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:09:43 UTC, "Peggy"
wrote:

I was told that
it was UNACCEPTABLE to cross post!!!

Only if you're a spammer and post to huge amounts of newsgroups at
once. Crossposting is preferable for a topic related to a few
newsgroups.

Not only that, but as a regular poster
in these groups I thought it would be acceptable some time ago to post that
I was listing an interesting series of sewing books for sale. I was told
this was acceptable protocol in "alt" newsgroups.

Outside of biz*, *forsale, and *marketplace newsgroups, ads are
frowned on in general.

Not only did I receive a
bunch of rude e-mails from people who didn't appreciate my posting, but I
was also reported to BOTH eBay and Sympatico, by two different busybodies.
Despite this, the person who started one of these newsgroups e-mailed me to
say that my original posting WAS acceptable, especially since it was on
topic.

I would like to know how the people who continually post "See Christina
Aguilera Naked" are still around without hassle

I think because most people realize that spammers don't read
newsgroups, so replying to them in the group is a waste of time and
energy. You can bet they get reported to their ISPs.

and a regular poster who
made ONE simple sewing book sale posting was harrassed from every direction.

There was a newsgroup created just for sewing related ads,
r.c.t.marketplace.

If anyone cares about wanting more information on netiquette, they
can visit http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/

Old April 11th 04, 02:05 AM
Penny S

wrote:

unless it's from someone running the group, ignore them.

Who runs unmoderated newsgroups?

No one runs unmoderated newsgroups. They run themselves. It's up to the
individual to moderate via their own software, or the ISP that provides the
news service may do some filtering for binaries going to non-binary groups
and certain types of spam.

Penny S

Old April 11th 04, 02:08 AM
Ann Knight

wrote:

unless it's from someone running the group, ignore them.

Who runs unmoderated newsgroups?

No one runs unmoderated newsgroups.

I prefer to think of it this way: everyone runs unmoderated
newgroups. If we don't "police" ourselves, no one will.

Old April 11th 04, 03:19 AM
David Harmon

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:09:43 -0400 in rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,
"Peggy" wrote,
I would like to know how the people who continually post "See Christina
Aguilera Naked" are still around without hassle

Oh, they are hassled. They have to disguise themselves and buy new
accounts on a regular basis. I wouldn't be surprised if they get good
at dodging bullets too. Just don't complain to them here, because you
can be sure they do not read the groups they post to.

Old April 11th 04, 03:31 AM
Peggy

Don't worry Cea, apparently the "lynch party" is meant for some and not
others. It seems that your multiple posts are acceptable while my one-time
post brought anarchy among those who consider themselves the "high and
mighty" of the newsgroup world.

Old April 11th 04, 05:26 AM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

Ann Knight wrote:

I was told that
it was UNACCEPTABLE to cross post!!!

Only if you're a spammer and post to huge amounts of newsgroups at
once. Crossposting is preferable for a topic related to a few
newsgroups.

And it's not acceptable to cross-post to multiple mailing lists.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Old April 11th 04, 05:29 AM

Peggy wrote:

Don't worry Cea, apparently the "lynch party" is meant for some and not
others. It seems that your multiple posts are acceptable while my one-time
post brought anarchy among those who consider themselves the "high and
mighty" of the newsgroup world.

Sounds like a reading of the Tourbus issue of Netiquette is in order.
The link is he

http://netsquirrel.com/roadmap96/map07.html

Old April 12th 04, 07:51 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Back to Cea:
If I hassle you, will you please, pretty please, ply me with food, wine and
ribald stories? We could even skip the food!

Back to Peggy:
Never mind what people say as long as you know in your heart you were doing
'right'. There will be far more people down the road who thank you than
those who trash you.
As for the flannel: If you make it to sell, you must use that horrid
flame-retardant garbage - but if you make it on commission, you can use
whatever the client asks for. Sewing stores sell regular flannel labelled
"not for sleepwear" because it's the law. However, all the patterns on the
fabric are for pj's!
(And we Canadians wonder why the world can't understand us?!)
Cynthia

"Pogonip" wrote in message
SewStorm wrote:

unless it's from someone

running the group, ignore them. They are generally not worth your
time.

LOL last I heard there was no one running unmoderated newsgroups!!!

Ergo, ignore everyone! LOL

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Now that you mention it, I use the filters in my Netscape
newsreader to good effect. Every once in a while, I look
in the filter log and am amazed to see a long list of
posts from email addresses that I filter out. It really
enhances my enjoyment of the newsgroups!
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/