Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Three Bags Full.

Old February 7th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

Default Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Three Bags Full.

Here is a picture of three grocery bags that I made for a charity fund
raiser for my wife's favorite charity. They are made out of a whole
bunch of diagonal 2 color squares that I have left over from another
series of projects. I put a pocket in the middle of the front between
the straps, to use up some more of these darn squares. It is
identified by the horizontal burgundy trim piece between the straps.
They are fairly easy to do if you have a bunch of squares of whatever
color around from quilting projects, or can make some from leftover
clothing scraps. They just need to be sewn together and then quilted
and then the quilted pieces are cut and sewn together into the bag.
Serge the interior seams, and then sew down the serged seams to the
sides and bind the top edge and put on a set of padded handles. The
bottom is a separate piece of heavy black cotton canvas that is
quilted and sewn to the bottom sides of the bags. I use that for the
bottom as it doesn't show the wear as much as the thin cotton of the
squares. You should use a sturdy machine or at least a jeans needle
and go slow when you are doing those seams. They are somewhat thick.
You will break a needle if you don't. Here is the picture.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...29010013129330

John
Old February 8th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

On 2/7/2010 5:39 PM, John wrote:
[...]

More good things, John. To pretty for grocery shopping.
Juno
Old February 8th 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Feb 7, 6:07*pm, Juno B wrote:
On 2/7/2010 5:39 PM, John wrote:

[...]

I must be spoiled. I have a bunch of them in the back of our cars, and
5 of them hanging on the wall in the kitchen. They do make great
gifts, also.
They earn you points at our grocery store. We get a kick out of the
ladies at the checkout asking my wife ,"Did you make them"? She loves
to say, "No, My husband did". it is always good for a strange look or
two.

John

John
Old February 8th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

John wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...29010013129330

John

WOW!!! Wonderful work and such a good idea to use up small
scraps.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old February 8th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Feb 7, 6:29*pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:
John wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...29010013129330

John

WOW!!! *Wonderful work and such a good idea to use up small
scraps.

--
Beverlyhttp://ickes.us/default.aspx

I looked over your site, that is a stunning blue/green top shown on
the first page of your recent projects. I have to make a set of Tai-
chi outfits for my wife and myself, and that reminds me of the top
with Frog Buttons. I better get busy on them now that I have gotten
some inspiration.
John
Old February 8th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Brian Christiansen

"John" wrote in message
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...29010013129330

I like them, but just out of curiosity - how much do they hold as compared
with regular shopping bags (are they "deep" enough), what do you do if you
run into a leaky bag of chicken or something like that (I suspect I know,
just kinda want to verify it), and does the quilting act as insulation.

Brian Christiansen

Old February 8th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Jenn Ridley[_2_]

"Brian Christiansen" wrote:

"John" wrote in message
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...29010013129330

I like them, but just out of curiosity - how much do they hold as compared
with regular shopping bags (are they "deep" enough), what do you do if you
run into a leaky bag of chicken or something like that (I suspect I know,
just kinda want to verify it),

Sometimes, you just gotta use plastic. (And there's always the
washing machine.)

Most stores around here have thin plastic bags in the meat department,
and the bags are intended to be used to keep meat packages from
leaking all over the store/cart/other groceries. Unless I'm getting
meat direct from the meat counter (where it's wrapped in butcher's
paper), I'll put the meat in one of those bags.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
Old February 8th 10, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Feb 8, 12:07*pm, "Brian Christiansen"
wrote:
"John" wrote in message

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...29010013129330

I like them, but just out of curiosity - how much do they hold as compared
with regular shopping bags (are they "deep" enough), what do you do if you
run into a leaky bag of chicken or something like that (I suspect I know,
just kinda want to verify it), and does the quilting act as insulation.

Brian Christiansen

I would think that if you kept the chicken/meat in a plastic bag, it
would contain the juices. Being as my wife and I are vegetarians, we
have never had to face that dilemma. You could make them any height
you wanted, but remember the higher they are, the heavier they are,
when loaded, and you will have to carry them from the store to the
transportation and then home from there. I have a number of them we
take to the store. and that way we are not burdened with overweight
carrying capacity. They are sized to hold gallon jugs of milk, which
is the largest single item we buy, and then can be filled with other
things, to fill out the bag. Today we went to the grocery store, and
came back with 2 gallons of milk, veggies, 2 quarts of Apple Juice, 8
Yoplait yogurt, a few jars of condiments, and I carried both bags to
the car. We park a long way from the store, at the edge of the parking
lot, so as to get some exercise and protect the car doors from the
dings of careless shopping carts. They were easily carried containing
that amount of groceries. As to ca Pop then in the washer and
dryer. They are 100% cotton that I have preshrunk, prior to assembly,
as is the cotton batting within the quilted sides and bottom and
straps. They will clean up like any other cotton item. If you are
carrying a gallon of Ink, then all bets are off.
John
Old February 8th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

John wrote:
On Feb 7, 6:29 pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:
John wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...29010013129330

John

WOW!!! Wonderful work and such a good idea to use up
small
scraps.

--
Beverlyhttp://ickes.us/default.aspx

I looked over your site, that is a stunning blue/green
top shown on
the first page of your recent projects.

Thanks, that was a fun project and I have worn the jacket
several times.

I have to make a
set of Tai-
chi outfits for my wife and myself, and that reminds me
of the top
with Frog Buttons. I better get busy on them now that I
have gotten
some inspiration.
John

I wasn't going for authentic Asian style, I just liked that
pattern because, while it had some shaping, it didn't have
lots of seams breaking up the print. I competed another
jacket using the same pattern, in Glen plaid printed silk in
shades of ivory and navy blue. Pictures eventually...

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old February 9th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Feb 8, 3:56*pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:
John wrote:
On Feb 7, 6:29 pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Not that it looks Authentic Asian Style. I just noticed the loop
construction of the closures, and that is the same style of closure as
used on Tai-Chi clothing, but theirs is over lapping, with that style
of loop, but with a knotted element in the anchor point, and that is
on my honey do list. It was a quiet prod to myself, to get going on my
list of things that must be done soon.
John

Yes Sir, Yes sir, Three Bags Full. John Quilting 16 February 8th 10 04:55 PM
Bags, Bags, Bags (and pictures to match) joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 4 May 14th 09 09:50 PM
OT - Full Moon ~KK in BC~ Quilting 26 September 19th 05 11:05 PM
OT... full nest again maryd Quilting 10 August 1st 05 12:39 AM
Ok, I'm done...my stable is full M. Wetmore Quilting 5 December 17th 03 10:30 PM