What would you do to embellish a handbag, to give it a more designer look?

Old December 22nd 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Videophile

Default What would you do to embellish a handbag, to give it a more designer look?

I guess I'm having trouble with this one because I'd actually like to
make a small duffel bag but I don't want it to look ordinary. I'd
like to give it more designer look, if such a thing is possible, but
without the frills and furbelows either that one might be able to put
on a handbag. Just curious as to some ideas from anyone re achieving
something nice in a duffel bag look without it going overboard g.

Thx.
Old December 31st 09, 12:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kathy Morgan

Videophile wrote:

I guess I'm having trouble with this one because I'd actually like to
make a small duffel bag but I don't want it to look ordinary. I'd
like to give it more designer look, if such a thing is possible, but
without the frills and furbelows either that one might be able to put
on a handbag. Just curious as to some ideas from anyone re achieving
something nice in a duffel bag look without it going overboard g.

Well, for a duffel bag you're going to want good strong substantial
webbing for the hand grips and shoulder strap, so instead of plain black
or white webbing, find some colorful rainbow webbing that compliments
the base fabric. You could use some extra ribbing as a contrast band
around the two ends of the bag as well.

It's awkward to find things in a plain duffel; I'd want to add some
zippered pockets on the outside for the small items you might want to
grab quickly. The pockets could also be set off with some of the
colorful webbing.

Monogram it with your initials or first name to make it a bit more
elegant and really stand-out.

The ends could be in a contrast fabric for added interest. Duffels need
to be pretty sturdy. If you don't see a color or print you love in a
sturdy fabric, use any light-weight fabric layered over sturdy fabric
and sew the two fabrics as one.

Hope that helps!

--
Kathy
Old January 30th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Videophile

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 02:01:47 -0900, (Kathy Morgan)
wrote:

Videophile wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the great ideas. I like the idea of monogrammed
initials. Also, what a fabulous idea, buying the handles rather than
making them myself! I think that just took away the entire complexity
of the issue for me and it would give it a more finished look, I'm
sure since I'm a beginner sewer. Thanks.
Old January 31st 10, 08:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

make a small duffel bag but I don't want it to look ordinary.

what makes the off-the-rack duffel bags look ordinary?

1. not tailored in any way, shape, or form to its intended contents

2. no lining, interlining or other shape-holding features added. Just
an empty, baggy sack

so forget the cutesy exterior cosmetics.... they're not cute.
Concentrate on perfection of the functional basics
Old February 12th 10, 10:54 PM
Lex87 Lex87 is offline
Junior Member

If you wanted to add a little somethinng personal to it you could do a little stenciling with some fabric paint . I've see a lot of leather purses and wallets lately with fabric cut outs sewn on (in different colors.) Maybe some bejewelling??

Cheers
Lexy
Old February 13th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Dec 22 2009, 11:53*am, Videophile wrote:
I guess I'm having trouble with this one because I'd actually like to
make a small duffel bag but I don't want it to look ordinary. *I'd
like to give it *more designer look, if such a thing is possible, but
without the frills and furbelows either that one might be able to put
on a handbag. *Just curious as to some ideas from anyone re achieving
something nice in a duffel bag look without it going overboard g.

Thx. *

I have done a half a dozen bags of various kinds for my wife, and on
every one of them I have placed, on the inside, a strap on the end of
which is a hook/clasp that can hold the car/house keys, and coin purse
that holds ID, and drivers license and credit cards. No more of that
dumpster diving for the keys and credit cards. They are right on the
end of that strap which is attached to the inside top of the purse/
bag. She says she thanks me every time she goes for them. The other
thing I did is sewed pockets inside around the base of the purse/bag,
that fitted her Cell Phone and other items that she wanted to be able
to reach without having to dump everything out to find them. They are
always where she places them. That is the really custom sort of thing
that makes a difference to the user. It makes it easier for you to use
the purse/bag. Thats what I would do. Only you will know that they are
there, but you will be glad you do.
John
Old March 19th 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Videophile

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:54:44 +0000, Lex87
wrote:

If you wanted to add a little somethinng personal to it you could do a
little stenciling with some fabric paint . I've see a lot of leather
purses and wallets lately with fabric cut outs sewn on (in different
colors.) Maybe some bejewelling??

Cheers
Lexy

Great idea, Lexy, thanks! I never thought of that. g

Old March 19th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Videophile

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:17:04 -0800 (PST), John
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, John. Much appreciated. I actually use the duffel bag to
carry groceries and such and have my purse for all those functions
above (purses always have to have specific pockets for each thing,
therefore, which is why I've never hunted around for stuff in my
purse) but what a great idea. I'll think on a design for the future
for a bag that I use if ever I need a large bag in lieu of both my
duffel and purse. Neat idea.

AD: Embellish With Relish Elli Rubberstamps 0 July 19th 06 08:36 AM
how do you learn to embellish? Wren Quilting 4 April 24th 06 10:29 PM
free designer handbag jampotter Needlework 0 February 17th 05 03:08 AM
FREE DESIGNER HANDBAG jam Beads 0 January 20th 05 06:25 AM
FREE DESIGNER HANDBAG jam Quilting 1 January 19th 05 02:17 PM