new sewing machine for newbie.. help!

Old November 14th 03, 08:05 AM
cj

Default new sewing machine for newbie.. help!

Hi, I'm new to this group. I know buying sewing machines is a very personal
thing, but I'm going to ask anyhow :-)

I'm looking to buy a sewing machine for my wife. New to sewing, and only
really needed for repairs and little projects here and there, for the
forseeable near future.

One of the options is to buy a cheap new machine (like Janome 2319, 2028 or
Benina Bernette?). Another option is to buy much older tradin like Elna TSP
for similar price and 1 year wty. Does anyone want to offer some comment or
advice about Elna TSP vs new machine?

Either reply to the group or to me personally:
(remove you know the capitalised stuff).

Thanks in advance!

Craig.

Old November 14th 03, 04:49 PM
Penny S

cj's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
Hi, I'm new to this group. I know buying sewing machines is a very
personal thing, but I'm going to ask anyhow :-)

I'm looking to buy a sewing machine for my wife. New to sewing, and
only really needed for repairs and little projects here and there,
for the forseeable near future.

One of the options is to buy a cheap new machine (like Janome 2319,
2028 or Benina Bernette?). Another option is to buy much older tradin
like Elna TSP for similar price and 1 year wty. Does anyone want to
offer some comment or advice about Elna TSP vs new machine?

check out the What Machine Should I Buy FAQ:

--
What Machine Should I Buy FAQ:
www.cet.com/~pennys/faq/smfaq.htm

Old November 14th 03, 06:30 PM
Jean

I am pretty new to this group myself and from what I have read about machine
selection and my own very recent experience I have come up with this little
list of what to look for in a first sewing machine if you are just beginning
and don't have something terribly specific in mind.

1- you are likely to get a better quality machine if it is used then in a
new one. They tend to be more reliable. You can get them from dealears who
have taken then in as trades and have refurbished them ( or at the very
least cleaned, oiled and adjusted them). ( you can also get them from trift
shops and yard sales but take them to be cleaned oiled and adjusted anyway).

2- look for a machine with all metal parts inside, some parts may appear to
be cheap plastic but are durable tefflon or wear-free nylon, which is fine.
But all the rods and arms should be metal.

3- It you can try to find a machine this the bobin ( lower tread) that loads
either from the front or the back. Not an absolute neccesity but it will
allow you to use double needles ( which are nice for those neat parallelle
straight stitches). Mine loads from the side and while I don't realy mind it
would be nice to be able to use double needles.

4- Retractable feed dogs ( those little teeth under the presser foot ).
They will allow you to do free hand embroidery and darning.

5- Get a machine that supplies you with at least the following basic
stitches.
- Straight ( for basic use)
- Zig-zag ,which you can use as an overlock for edging fabric so it
doesn't come appart, also good for darning and embroidering
- one extendable ( or elastic) stich, it sort of looks like little
losenges, very usefull for sewing knits or elastics
- button hole ,one or four step doesn't realy matter they do the same
job the the one step does it quicker.
- blind stich ,a zig-zag with one thooth longuer the the others,mostly
used to do the bottom of slacks, when you don't want the stitch to show.
Your are likely to find a machine that has more then just those but for
doing basic sewing and repairs ( which is what I do ) I found that you don't
need the automatic embroidery stiches so much as a good variaty of basic
stitches.

6- If you can get the manual and the assorment of presser feet that came
with the machine originaly ( although you can buy presser feet individualy)
check the manual to see what came with the machien originaly. Basic presser
feet are :
- straight , rather narrow with one prong shorter then the other.
- zig-zag, wider with a slot for the needle ( perpendicular to the
feeding of the fabric)
- button hole ( usualy plastic ) many differing models , the basic one
is rectangular with markings and slides with the fabric.
others include : hemmer ( will curl the fabric), one that does little
pleats ( don't know the name ), to attache cords or yarns ( has a little
slot underneet to let the yarn throught) etc.

7-Check the needle plate, the hook, the bobin case and the retention ring
for marks, if there are many deep ones the machine is either in serious need
of adjusting or is not a very good one.

I can't realy think of anything else to ass other then try it out first to
see if you like the possition of the controls. Oh. and you might want to
have a machine where all the stich selection instructions are on the machine
, saves you running for the instruction manual when you want to try some
thing new.

I hope that helps

Jean

Old November 14th 03, 10:46 PM
cj

Thanks for the replies so far!

Those FAQs are useful and I read one like them before sending the first
post. The problem is that it is still kind of hard for me or my wife, as
first time buyers, to evaluate different machines. I would also like to get
some 3rd party opinion, not just what the sales people say. Especially when
it comes to comparing old machines with new.

Following are some specific examples of machines and prices I have come
across (in Aussie $). If anyone has any 1st hand experience with any of
these (especially the old ones), it would be helpful to hear your comments
(and I understand that everyone will have different experiences and
preferences, but sometimes I'm sure there are also machines that are
commonly recognised as either classics or lemons, and it would be good to be
aware of them!)

New:
Janome 2319 @ $339
Janome 2028 @ $399
Janome 5024 @ $499
Bernina Bernette @ $295

Old:
Elna TSP @ $329
Toyota SL34000 @ $220
Bernina 730 @ $250
Janome Overlocker JL-603A @ $195
Janome Quilters Companion 4618QC @ $400
Janome SW-2018 @ $200

Any comments will be well received :-)

Craig

Old November 14th 03, 10:57 PM
Penny S

cj's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
Thanks for the replies so far!

Those FAQs are useful and I read one like them before sending the
first post. The problem is that it is still kind of hard for me or my
wife, as first time buyers, to evaluate different machines. I would
also like to get some 3rd party opinion, not just what the sales
people say. Especially when it comes to comparing old machines with
new.

Following are some specific examples of machines and prices I have
come across (

Bernina 730 @ $250

I don't know about Oz dollars, but that Bernina would be one you couldn't go
wrong on (IMO)

Penny

Old November 14th 03, 11:39 PM
Me

Penny S wrote:

cj's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:

Thanks for the replies so far!

Those FAQs are useful and I read one like them before sending the
first post. The problem is that it is still kind of hard for me or my
wife, as first time buyers, to evaluate different machines. I would
also like to get some 3rd party opinion, not just what the sales
people say. Especially when it comes to comparing old machines with
new.

Following are some specific examples of machines and prices I have
come across (

Bernina 730 @ $250

I don't know about Oz dollars, but that Bernina would be one you couldn't go
wrong on (IMO)

Penny

IF it comes with a good supply of presser feet. Bernina
reminds me of the shaving razors - they gave those away
and made their money on the blades.

--

Joanne
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old November 15th 03, 03:43 PM
Kate Dicey

cj wrote:

[...]

Craig, as you have narrowed down the choice to these machines, the very
best thing you can do is get your wife to try them: buying a machine is
like buying shoes or a bra! TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, new or old! Then buy
the one that is most comfortable for her to use - and you! Be sure YOU
are also happy to use it!

Just a personal bit of input he I have hated every Janome I have
tried, over several years. Other folk love them, I just had bad
experiences. I like Berninas, and feel it's hard to go wrong with them,
both ordinary machines and sergers/overlockers

I had a long term loan of an old Toyota sewing machine (straight and
zigzag, no auto buttonholes, not even 4 step!), and it was the fastest
domestic machine ever! I loved it, and wish I could have kept it! I
also owned an old 3 thread Toyota serger/overlocker. It was great too.
I've always found their machines reliable and well built and good value
for money.

I've never owned an Elna, but they have felt good when trying them in
other peoples houses and in shops.

At present I own Husqvarnas (a Lily 550/555 and a Huskylock 910
serger/overlocker), and ancient Singers (a late 30's treadle and a 1923
hand crank). You can see them all at work on my web site.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 16th 03, 11:53 AM
Helen Upham

I love the Janome - if the 5024 you mention is the decore excel II, I can
recommend it. I've had the machine for about a year and never had any
problems. I probably wouldn't pay full price for it (I got mine on special
too) - it doesn't have needle stop down.
The other janome that I'd recommend, having used it for several years would
be the my excel 18W. This has been re-released as a "special edition". I
haven't used the special edition, but it looked the same as the original,
just with purple edging instead of grey.

Helen (in Adelaide)

Old February 6th 10, 01:52 AM
Maeve Maeve is offline
Junior Member

Hi Craig. I have owned my Elna TSP since about 1975. I have been a serious sewer (competition stuff) and sewed just for fun and the TSP does everything I could ever want in a sewing machine. I have it serviced regularly and there have as a result never been any major ptoblems.
I sewed for myself and my sons and am now sewing dresses for my little granddaughter (Yay, a girl to sew for at last!)
I heartily recommend this machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post