How to Hang Traverse Rods

Old November 25th 03, 01:16 AM
Pennsylvania Lady

Default How to Hang Traverse Rods

If anyone could point me to an interior decorating link or
do-it-yourself site where they give good directions on how to hang
traverse rods, I'd really appreciate hearing fromn you by post here.

Thank you.

Old November 25th 03, 04:28 AM
Warrior_13

What in particular did you need to know? I hang them myself without a
problem. Did it for a living a few years back.
Do you need to know how to determine the width of the rod in comparison to
the width of the drapery? Or do you want to know how to physically install
it?

Old November 25th 03, 01:24 PM
Pennsylvania Lady

"Warrior_13" wrote

What in particular did you need to know? I hang them myself without a
problem. Did it for a living a few years back.
Do you need to know how to determine the width of the rod in comparison to
the width of the drapery? Or do you want to know how to physically install
it?

Thanks for the clarification--yes, I need to know how to determine the
width *and* what to do if studs aren't located at that point. My
mom's drapes are 150" wide, and from past experience, I know that
wrapping that width drape around a three inch bracket, then deducting
the three inch overlap in the center (they're center-closing) should
make the width 138". So from the center of her bay window, that makes
it 69" each side.

The problem is that her 70's ranch home contractor really didn't go
overboard with his lumber, if you know what I mean. In addition to
there not being a stud at 69" from center, there's no jack stud above
the center of the window, making drape supports there impossible. If
I put supports at the end of the windows (where there *are* studs),
then the drapes will bow toward the center.

So this is what I need help with, 'cause I want to get them up by
Thanksgiving!

Thanks.
Old November 25th 03, 02:16 PM
Warrior_13

Ok, the center bracket is not important, meaning you should have 2 inside
brackets for that width. They could be about 44-48 inches in from the end
bracket on each side. They should hold better than a single center bracket.
The general rule is one inside bracket for every 40-50 inches, even for
sheers. This ensures a trouble free rod. Buy the best quality rod you can
afford. This makes a difference too.
You are correct about deducting the return and overlap from the drapery
width to determine the rod width. Make sure you measure the returns, some
are smaller or larger than others. A 4-5 inch return is standard for a
custom drapery, most ready-mades are 3 - 3 1/2 inches.
If you absolutely cannot get into a stud, you will need to use toggle bolts.
Make sure you use metal toggle bolts with a wide spreader, at least an inch
and a half. You will need to predrill a hole to get the toggle through.
Some older homes, like mine, have lathing and plaster walls, but the plaster
is very thick, and sometimes I need to use at least a 2 inch screw in order
to find it and get it to grab. Just banging a nail in the wall to locate the
wood sometimes doesn't work. So check the walls carefully around the window.
Another alternative is to hang them from the ceiling if you have the length
in the drapery to do that. Are you using a plain rod or a decorative rod?
For a plain rod, don't forget to add 1 inch to the height of the bracket
based on your drapery length. If your drapery is 84" then mount the rod 85"
above the floor. This allows for traversing the rod without dragging the
drapery. The top of your drapery should be a minimum 1/4 inch above the top
of the rod. I recommend drapery pins rather than hooks, this is what the
pros use. Place 1 pin in the drapery and check the fit on the rod. Make a
small dot at the bottom of the pin, on the drapery fabric, with a pencil.
Remove the pin and measure the distance from the top of the drapery to the
dot. Now put a dot on each of the pleats to mark where you will insert the
pin. Insert all the pins and hang. If you have a hard time inserting the
pins, run each one thru your hair before inserting. It's an old trade
secret, makes the pin glide in, works with all pins of any kind.
If you are using a deco rod, it's a little harder, as the rings hold the
drapery and are sometimes several inches below the top of the rod. Let me
know if you need directions for that.
No jack stud? Wasn't that a code item in the 70's? Some contractors will use
the absolute minimum material for maximum profit, won't they?
Hope this helps you and let us know how it worked.

Old November 25th 03, 10:47 PM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 04:24:35 -0800, Pennsylvania Lady wrote:
Thanks for the clarification--yes, I need to know how to determine the
width *and* what to do if studs aren't located at that point. My
mom's drapes are 150" wide, and from past experience, I know that
wrapping that width drape around a three inch bracket, then deducting
the three inch overlap in the center (they're center-closing) should
make the width 138". So from the center of her bay window, that makes
it 69" each side.

Hi there,

The other thing to bear in mind when calculating all of this is the width
of the window is not the width of the curtains. It is quite usual to make
your curtains 1.5 to 3 times the width of the window dependent on the
wieight of the curtain material and the look you are trying to achieve.

Regards,

Sarah
Old November 26th 03, 02:44 PM
Pennsylvania Lady

"Warrior_13" wrote

No jack stud? Wasn't that a code item in the 70's? Some contractors will use
the absolute minimum material for maximum profit, won't they?
Hope this helps you and let us know how it worked.

Whoa! *Thanks*, Warrior_13. I snipped a lot so this wouldn't get
lost, and yeah, everything worked out fine. One final question: Do
you know any place where you can buy replacement supports for older
rods? I notice Kirsch has redesigned their traverse rods so that the
new supports are in round, fatter "arcs" instead of the very narrow
slotted shape of my mom's circa 1973 rod.

I bought an entire new rod yesterday for the sake of the supports,
then decided I wasn't going to blow $39.00 just for the sake of two
supports...which wouldn't have worked with her old rod anyway (or vice
versa). I wanted more than two supports because of 1) the lack of the
stud at the pulley ends and 2) the fact you said you should have a
support for every 40"-50" of drape. These drapes are 150".

So anyway, if you know where I can get older hardware-a website link
or anything like that-I'd appreciate hearing from you one last time.

(BTW, I downloaded your response and printed it out for several family
members. To my knowledge, it's the only place on the entire Internet
with actual instructions on how to mount rods. Amazing, how useless
the Internet can be unless you're lucky enough to catch the right
person's notice on the right newsgroup.)

Happy Thanksgiving,

Pennsylady
Old November 29th 03, 01:11 AM
Warrior_13

Glad everything worked out for you.
Older supports are going to be hard to find, but I would check with some
drapery workrooms in your area. They might have them. The people who install
the draperies would best know where to find them. There's probably a box
full in the back room somewhere, just gathering dust!
Otherwise you will have to spring for the new rod. Have you tried
http://kirsch.com/main.taf?p=0,5
You can ask if there's a place they still stock them. Another thought is
older "mom and pop" drapery stores established in your area. They usually
have older stock hanging around a lot longer than a retail chain.
And thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

[...]

AD: Uroboros System 96 rods for lampworking Jamilyn Glass 0 July 8th 04 01:42 AM
Price of Rods meijhana Beads 3 February 3rd 04 07:41 AM
Anyone tried Kugler 'glowing' colour rods ? David Billington Glass 1 January 20th 04 02:14 AM
FireHouse Angel Daily 9-13-03 - scroll rods Felice Friese Needlework 1 September 14th 03 02:40 PM
hang tags Deirdre S. Beads 9 July 13th 03 02:24 AM