no quilting and here's why.........

Old February 23rd 12, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

Default no quilting and here's why.........

Thought I'd post an update since I know this group is full of prayer
warriors and supportive people.

On 2/8, a child on the bus called my DS gay, then tripped him right as
he was at the top of the stairs to get off the bus. DS was able to
catch himself, but his glasses got a little bent....fixed them, and on
2/9 reported it to the principal since the VP wasn't in yet. He
talked to DS, then talked to other kid (who said, no, I didn't say
that, and he must have tripped over my binder), then back to DS where
he repeated what the other child said. SO....now my DS believes that
the principal thinks he's a liar after being told that he could go to
one of the adults for help. Another part to this is that the other
child has consistently been in AES (aka In school suspension) since
the start of the year, and my DS is on the A-B honor roll and had AES
for 1 class period, ONCE, for talking after the teacher asked him to
quiet down 3 times. ok.........

2/13, there's a school assembly and the child and his friends sit
directly behind my son, and persist in calling him gay throughout the
entire assembly.....

2/15, this same child starts by pulling my son's hair, again calling
him gay, and throwing punches at him...starting at the middle school,
continuing while they are loading more kids at the high school, and
not stopping until they get to DS's bus stop (our driveway). The
other child made it into a joke that DS was flinching every time he
threw a punch, when in reality, DS was blocking the punches, as he
learned to do in karate. Kid throws another punch, DS blocks it, kid
grabs and holds DSs arm and punches him in the head with his other
hand (nice huge, red spot on DSs forehead). Kid does it again, holds
DSs arm, and this time, punches DS hard enough to bend the nose pieces
of DSs glasses.

Immediately took the kids to the middle school, so VP saw the red
spot, the bent up glasses, etc. Child was confronted and initially
said that was how DS looked when he got on the bus....yeah, right.
Then they pulled the bus video....oh, and they questioned the bus
driver because he didn't right up the incident nor did he report it to
the school. The other child said that everything he did to Thomas (as
reported by T) is what T actually did to him.....when both the bus
driver and the other child were confronted by the video, the bus
driver first said that he didn't think it would show anything because
the boys sat in the first and second seats behind him (which means he
should have heard everything that was going on), and then the other
child admitted that it happened the way that DS had reported it as
happening.

Needless to say, I have more gray hairs as well as an appointment with
Juvenile Intake on Friday.....the other child is guilty of harassment,
assault, and battery....and it's not being handled properly by the
school since all this child has ever gotten in response to his
behavior is to be sent to AES, regardless of what the offense is.

SO....that's the latest reason for not quilting.....on a trivial note,
I'm also not quilting because DD has decided that she wants her room
repainted, so the quilt will be on hold until the room gets redone....

Old February 23rd 12, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I did a lot of driving to and from school. my kids and many neighbor kids.
the bus is a nasty, unsupervised place. If you can get around using it
you will all be happier and your child safer. You can learn a lot from
chattering kids in your car too!
I'm sorry Thomas has had to go through this mess. Kids can be mean and
rotten. I hope you can get it worked out. You walk a fine line because
after
a certain age moms jumping in can become a whole other issue the kids
will tease and harass about even if it is what needs done, especially for
his
safety. Good luck with the battle. I am so sorry you all have to go
through
the mess.
Taria

Old February 23rd 12, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

AAGGHH!! This makes me soooo angry.

When is this all going to end? In my lifetime I hope. What is it with
these bus drivers and principals and other teachers and anyone that doesn't
think this name calling exists. That this bullying exists. That all this
crap exists. I know that life isn't always easy, but, this sort of stuff
isn't necessary and I'm tired of it being tolerated by others.

I hope you are a wailing banshee with these people Larisa. Do they not read
the news and not know that they need to act on this. Now, yesterday, last
week. And everyday in the future. I hope the little S**T gets what's
coming to him in the form of discipline and that most of all he gets some
help. It sounds like he needs it.

Just yesterday I stopped a student who was yelling down the hallway at the
top of his lungs, "So and so is gay." Over and over. I whipped around the
corner and asked him, "Really. Is he really gay? How do you know that?"
Well, obviously he didn't know that and had no excuse. And this was one of
his friends he was yelling at. I asked him if he would like to be called
gay, or, and yes, I used several other quite negative slurs, and he recoiled
and said no. I said "Right, you wouldn't." I also told him I was
personally offended and that I would be listening out for him when he was
least expecting it. I also told him to get a move on or he'd be tardy and
if he was I'd make sure he got a detention.

And then last nights episode of Glee where a character tried to kill himself
for being harassed.

So Larisa, scream, yell, whatever you have to do with the VP and P and bus
driver and boss and those at Juvenile intake. Make them notice and don't
let them off the hook. Back them up to the wall. I'm you're biggest
cheering section to get this to stop.

Steven
Alaska

"off kilter " wrote in
message

Old February 23rd 12, 09:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

off kilter wrote:
[...]

Good grief! What does it take to get people to *notice* what these feral
kids do???

I don't know if it's any help, but a friend of mine got heartily sick of
her daughter being assaulted by a gang on the bus. She went to the
police and got an AVO (Apprehended Violence Order) against the girls.
The school had to police it (ie. keep the girls a minimum distance away
from the victim at all times) and it didn't take long for all instances
of abuse of this child to stop.

Can you take out a restraining order against these kids? Or, maybe, get
in touch with an older kid and ask him/her to watch your child on the
bus. S/he needn't interfere, but could take photos or at least witness
what's going on when the Principal asks. Or, maybe you could contact the
parents of other bus-travellers and enlist their help in alerting the
kids to keep watch for bad behaviour. 'All it takes is for good men to
do nothing', y'know?

I feel for you. Both my kids were bullied and in the twenty-six years of
their education I never got a single teacher to even say 'poor thing!'
Good luck!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old February 23rd 12, 12:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

Thanks everyone.

The information coming from the school (I have my sources that don't
include administration) have informed me that the other child hasn't
been in classes. However, that doesn't mean that he isn't in school.
Like I said, he's gotten AES consistently since the beginning of the
year because that's all the principal seems to be willing to do. (On
another note, confidence in the principal is dropping...one case...2
teachers and several students witnessed a child throw a carton of
spoiled milk at another child and reported it. The other child ended
up with ruined clothes as well as school books, and despite all the
witnesses that said the first child did it, the only response from the
principal was " I'll have to look into it."...so he doesn't even trust
his own teachers apparently).

With regards to the bus, I've gotten one part eliminated....neither of
my children rides the bus any longer. We don't live that far from the
schools, and I actually take them in the morning (elementary bus was
getting there so that DD wouldn't get to class until after the tardy
bell rang...she was NOT happy and neither was I), so getting them in
the afternoon isn't a big thing. Part of the reason they were riding
the bus home was at their request so that they could hang with their
friends a little longer....well, they'll get over it.

Now, with regards to the name calling....DS and I had a long talk and
basically, he said if what he was saying were true, it wouldn't bother
me, but regardless, if someone is gay or not isn't a reason to torment
them (I guess I'm raising them right, huh?) and we talked about why
this kid thinks this is a "good" (sarcastic, of course) way to annoy
others. What really sucks is this all started during the school-wide
anti-bullying week....I don't know if the kid completely missed the
message or if it only served to remind him of "Oh yeah, let's pick on
Thomas"...who knows.

I will be calling the bus garage to see what has been done on their
end, especially since the bus driver admitted it happened when
confronted with the video (I personally think he should be on a forced
vacation since the boys site directly behind him and he didn't do
anything to stop it or separate them).

I also need to call the resource officer to make sure he faxed over
the paperwork that is needed at Juvenile Intake.

With regards to restraining order....we have tried going through the
school, but since my son has an IEP (Asperger syndrome is primary,
ADHD and anxiety are secondary), they really can't move his classes
around. WHen they told me this, I said that I should hope to hell
they weren't changing his schedule because a) why punish my son for
the action of another child and b) changing the schedule of a child on
the autism spectrum without advance warning was setting EVERYONE up
for a horrific few weeks as he tried to make the adjustments. They
can't move the other child either....but....they only have 1 class
together, and that class has both the regular teacher and the SpEd
teacher in it so th ey are going to make sure the boys are at opposite
sides of the class and that the punk leaves first. The SpEd teacher
will follow behind DS to his next class to make sure nothing happens
between him and the other boy (behind so that it's not as big a thing
as if he were walking with her).

That's the best they can do. However, if one more thing happens, this
will be going against the school, the administration, and the teachers
involved.....especially since this is the only option the said they
had and they said they'd keep an eye out (I have more faith in the
teachers watching out for DS then I do the administration...well...the
principal. VP has been pretty good about getting all the information
gathered and such)

So....that's where we are now. DS and I will be in the next town over
for a 3pm appointment tomorrow and hopefully all will go well....

Old February 23rd 12, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

It sounds like you have made contact with the school and all. Now, can
you go up the chain of command to the district school board? I bet
they would be interested to hear that one of their principals is not
demonstrating good principals of education.

just a thought....
Ginger in CA

Old February 23rd 12, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:06:54 -0600, off kilter
wrote
(in article
):

[...]

That's horrible! I hope the school actually does something to help DS.

Maureen

Old February 23rd 12, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"off kilter Thought I'd post an update since I know this group is full of
prayer
warriors and supportive people.

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. I'm all for going to who
ever is the head of the school district to let them know what is going on.
Would the local newspaper be interested in this story?
Barbara in FL

Old February 23rd 12, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I suggest you do a few things, in order as needed.

First, send a certified letter to the Superintendent, showing copies
to the President of the School Board and to the building Principal.
Detail exactly what happened, and tell them you expect the school to
provide the protection required by applicable law and court case
precedents to stop bullying. Also, say you expect a written response
by a named date -- I'd give it 14 days at most.

If after 14 days you have not received a written response, decide
whether you want to go the "press route" or the "lawyer route". If
the "press route", call your local news paper, say there is bullying
going on that the school is not addressing properly, that your son has
been a victim and physically injured by it, and give them a photocopy
of the letter you sent to the school folks. Let them come take photos
if they want, and let them print an article. With the "lawyer route",
go to an attorney in your area who does not represent the school, the
Principal personally, the Superintendent personally, or the rotten kid
and his parents, and turn the lawyer loose to file appropriate lawsuit
for damages. That case can probably be handled on a contingency fee
basis.

Schools have a positive duty to protect their students, and it appears
that your district will have to have its feet held to the fire to get
that done.
Old February 23rd 12, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Certainly WILL be praying! And I'm glad Thomas has the right kind of
parents, who pay attention to these things, believe the child, and
follow up!

Karen, Queen of Squishies