Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows

Old April 23rd 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
hmharris[_2_]

Default Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows

Has anyone tried the square-in-a-square technique by Jodi Barrows or bought
her video? It really looks easy.
What do you think?

Helen

Old April 23rd 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

You can watch her videos at www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com and
www.quilterstv.com

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
. ..

Old April 23rd 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G.

I bought one of her books to do one of the projects in it but I ended up
recreating the pattern in EQ6. I just didn't like the idea of all those bias
edges when they weren't really necessary.

Laurie G. in CA

. ..

Old April 23rd 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

On Apr 22, 8:43 pm, "hmharris" wrote:
Has anyone tried the square-in-a-square technique by Jodi Barrows or bought
her video? It really looks easy.
What do you think?

Helen

Hi Helen, I have the ruler and I have played with scraps to make
portions of blocks. Beware of the number of bias edges that the
methods produce if you have an aversion to working with bias. A
straight-grain fabric strip will give a bias edge when trimmed and
this is the method that all the options produce - for instance: the
outside edges of the corner triangles in the square/square block or
flying geese blocks will be bias. I haven't used the ruler to make a
quilt top or portions of a quilt top so I can't comment on the
stability of any of the blocks with handling over time.
jennellh (change the mail to news)

Old April 23rd 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

That and the "waste" is the main thing stopping me from that technique.
I also don't find making square in a square blocks that difficult. G

Pati, in Phx

Laurie G. wrote:

I bought one of her books to do one of the projects in it but I ended up
recreating the pattern in EQ6. I just didn't like the idea of all those bias
edges when they weren't really necessary.

Laurie G. in CA

. ..

Old April 23rd 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

KJ wrote:
You can watch her videos at www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com and
www.quilterstv.com

I watched the quilterstv one and am exhausted for the rest of the day!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old April 23rd 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Yep, the waste is an issue with me.

Although I do tend to cut most pieces a shade too big and
trim for a nice clean edge for piecing the finished blocks
(eg. for HSTs I round to the inch rather than using the
7/8inch rule), and I suppose that incurs some waste. But I
do try to avoid bias on the outside edge of anything where I
can.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
: That and the "waste" is the main thing stopping me from
that technique.
: I also don't find making square in a square blocks that
difficult. G
:
: Pati, in Phx
:
: Laurie G. wrote:
:
: I bought one of her books to do one of the projects in
it but I ended up
: recreating the pattern in EQ6. I just didn't like the
idea of all those bias
: edges when they weren't really necessary.
:
: Laurie G. in CA
:
: "hmharris" wrote in
message
: . ..
:

Old April 23rd 07, 10:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

This wouldn't address the waste issue, but cutting the added strips on
the bias would leave the cut edges on the straight grain.
..
In message , CATS
writes
Yep, the waste is an issue with me.

Although I do tend to cut most pieces a shade too big and
trim for a nice clean edge for piecing the finished blocks
(eg. for HSTs I round to the inch rather than using the
7/8inch rule), and I suppose that incurs some waste. But I
do try to avoid bias on the outside edge of anything where I
can.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 23rd 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

I have the book and ruler. I find what I like it best for is making
very small blocks. Using her technique I can make extremely small
flying geese and other blocks that I would never attempt otherwise.

Sunny

Old April 23rd 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

For very small blocks, I would probably use foundation paper piecing.
For all but the very smallest geese, I like the method Eleanor Burns and
Mary Sue Suit use. Eleanor has a demo on her website:
http://www.quiltinaday.com/video/flyinggeese.asp. She has some rulers
that make it easier to trim some sizes, but you don't need the special
rulers and the technique is applicable to any size geese. The demo shows
how to trim without the special rulers, too. To do other sizes, cut a
square of "geese" fabric 1" larger than the long side of the finished
block. Cut a square of the "sky" fabric 1-1/2" larger than the square of
"geese" fabric.

Julia in MN

Sunny wrote:
I have the book and ruler. I find what I like it best for is making
very small blocks. Using her technique I can make extremely small
flying geese and other blocks that I would never attempt otherwise.

Sunny

On Apr 22, 5:43 pm, "hmharris" wrote:
Has anyone tried the square-in-a-square technique by Jodi Barrows or bought
her video? It really looks easy.
What do you think?

Helen

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

square-in-square -Thanks Polly! Roberta Zollner Quilting 2 January 1st 05 02:24 PM
"1" 6x6 square [email protected] Yarn 3 September 6th 04 05:27 AM
Anniversay Square cher Yarn 1 August 27th 04 04:53 PM
black and white square in a square Brian Christiansen Quilting 3 June 22nd 04 07:59 AM
FAQ - 6 x 6 square exchange Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 6 December 11th 03 07:05 AM