Lighting Recommendations

Old December 11th 03, 06:23 AM
nJb

Javahut wrote:

Another good way to get around SAD is to spend Nov-Mar in New Zealand.
Jack

Or Naples, FL , or surrounding vicinity.

That's more in my price range.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old December 17th 03, 06:47 PM
Soluxlamps

I just bought a house with a basement, that has very little lighting and I
am looking for recommendations. What is best, when working with Stained
Glass. Flourescent, Incandescent or Halogen? Maybe, a combination?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am a little late to this thread but here is some information that maybe of
interest.

I am with a company that developed a "daylight" simulation bulb named SoLux.
SoLux is used by many different glass artists for display purposes at craft
shows and in galleries. To name a few of these artists - John Kuhn, Blake
Street Glass, Josh Simpson, Christopher Ries and I could name at least a dozen
more.

The light from SoLux has been engineered to simulate the spectrum of daylight
at several color temperatures. The one that is preferred by most glass
artists is the 4100K SoLux.

A few technical details for those who like those things... The Color Rendering
Index (CRI) for all SoLux bulbs is 98+. The reason it is so high is because
the specturm is smooth and not like the spectrum from fluoresencent lights
which is spikey. Smooth spectrums more closely simulate the spectrum from
daylight than spikey ones.

SoLux is a low-voltage MR16 format bulb (track lighting is the most familiar
way to incorporate its use). They are available in four different beamspreads.
SoLux is used in many world famous museums around the world including the
Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh museum and many others. It is currently the bulb
that is specified to go into the glass museum in Toledo.

Besides the superior spectrum, SoLux is a point light source and this helps
gives a better presentation and clarity to glass work.

I could go on.... however, if you have questions you can call me (800-254-4487)
or email me ... phil AT solux DOT net

Phil Bradfield, Ph. D.
VP-Tailored Lighting Inc
Where SoLux was invented
www.solux.net
800-254-4487
Old December 17th 03, 09:54 PM
nJb

Soluxlamps wrote:

I am with a company that developed a "daylight" simulation bulb named SoLux.
SoLux is used by many different glass artists for display purposes at craft
shows and in galleries. To name a few of these artists - John Kuhn, Blake
Street Glass, Josh Simpson, Christopher Ries and I could name at least a dozen
more.

Phil Bradfield, Ph. D.
VP-Tailored Lighting Inc
Where SoLux was invented
www.solux.net
800-254-4487

Phil,

Thanks for the info. I have a Josh Simpson bowl in my collection. I got
to play with one of John Kuhn's cubes at Habatat Gallery in Michigan. At
$14,000 I couldn't take it home though.

Old December 19th 03, 05:59 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
nJb wrote:

Good info. I'll have to try it. I understood some of the problem also
comes from the short daylight period, not just clouds etc. Sounds like
your experience shows different. Off to the hardware store.

Jack

A long while ago I developed the notion that if I dimmed my lights at
sunset, I would have fewer problems with SAD. Something to do with
resolving the conflict between my internal biorhythms and the external
messages being sent by having bright evening lighting at the wrong time
of year.

Could just be coincidence, but I haven't had such severe SAD problems
since then. It's a very significant difference in my mood... as in, I'm
a functional, rational human being all winter now!

I'm too chicken to turn my lights up at night to see if that changes.

I do also use full-spectrum lighting throughout the house.

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe

Very OT - Recommendations for Gamecube Games? Karen_AZ Beads 9 December 2nd 04 06:07 AM
Lighting for showing beads Soluxlamps Beads 0 November 4th 04 06:45 PM
Book Recommendations? Pam Beads 1 March 29th 04 10:45 PM
soldering gun/iron recommendations? Jennifer Moore Beads 17 December 6th 03 01:43 AM