fabric shops in Austin. TX

Old October 27th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default fabric shops in Austin. TX

Marion's son is going to be in Austin, Texas next week.

Is there a *good* fabric shop somewhere in the town centre?
Has to be easy to get to by public transport or walking, he
won't have the use of a car.

And is there anything local to Texas he could get? (Thinking of
something with a repeat of Bush dynasty portraits that could be
embroidered with pistol-range target patterns or luminous vampire
teeth...).

Old October 27th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Is he going to the percussion convention? I'll be there, too.
I'll check my travel book to see if there are any fabric shops and let you
know. Off hand, I guess there aren't any fabric shops in the downtown area.
But let's hope I'm wrong!
KJ

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Marion's son is going to be in Austin, Texas next week.

Is there a *good* fabric shop somewhere in the town centre?
Has to be easy to get to by public transport or walking, he
won't have the use of a car.

And is there anything local to Texas he could get? (Thinking of
something with a repeat of Bush dynasty portraits that could be
embroidered with pistol-range target patterns or luminous vampire
teeth...).

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old October 27th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
Marion's son is going to be in Austin, Texas next week.

Is there a *good* fabric shop somewhere in the town centre?
Has to be easy to get to by public transport or walking, he
won't have the use of a car.

I'm talking to DSis right now and she looked in the Yellow Pages but
couldn't find any fab shops in the downtown area that he could walk to.
The "music" part of town is on 6th St. and she says it should be
walking distance from a downtown.
He MUST try Texas barbecue and DSis says he could walk to Whole
Foods, INL HQ which is a humongous market with a restaurant inside that
sells good BBQ. It is also walking distance from downtown on 6th &
LaMarr. Another downtown restaurant that serves fairly good BBQ is
Pokey Joes. She says none of the places in the music district have good
BBQ -- other types f good food, just not BBQ.
She found one quilt shop that advertises 5,00 bolts of fabric plus
loads of books and accessories & tools. It is The Quilt Shop at 2700 W.
Anderson Lane and the phone is 512-453-1145. She thinks it is near
North Cross Mall and she says the young man should easily be able to get
a bus to the mall and then walk to the quilt shop. I just looked in the
Yellow Pages Online and found only a few shops for Austin and none of
them look to be easily gotten to using public transpo. The Quilt Shop
is just off Mopac South which is one of the biggest roadways in the
city. There is Ginger's which is off of I-35 but I'm not sure what the
fabric selection is like nor am I sure how easy it would be to get there
using public transpo. I have been there several times but it was more a
needlework shop at the time and has since started carrying a lot more
fabric.
Anyway, give the young man this info and have him ask the concierge
at the hotel for assistance in getting about. OH -- DSis also said
there was a fairly new museum right in downtown that is loaded with
Texas history. She was in a hurry and on her speaker phone so I didn't
get the name but I'm sure the concierge at the hotel would be able to
get this info. Hope some of this will help and the young man has a nice
time in the States. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 27th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Marion's son is going to be in Austin, Texas next week. ......

My DSis (Betsy) lives in Austin and I can ask her. Could you tell
me the location of the hotel the young man will be staying at so that
DSis will have a more precise area to consider? I've been to what I
think of as downtown and I don't know about any fab shops but there are
some *wonderful* little restaurants, bars, bistros, etc. that have
absolutely superb music of all sorts! Make sure the young man knows
about this aspect of Austin night life!!! I would hate for him to miss
out on it if he has any way of getting to this part of town. CiaoMeow
^;;^

Old October 27th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I'm going to save this message too. I'm going to be in Austin for a
percussion convention the week after next. BBQ...yum!
KJ

Old October 27th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Almost everybody has b-b-que in Austin, most of it is delicious. g
http://www.10best.com/Austin/Restaur...cue/index.html

We always stay at the Driskill overnight in Austin, as downtown as
downtown can be. http://www.driskillhotel.com/
No fabric shops right around there, but plenty of
city buses, and pedicabs for evening traffic between the night spots.
Thursday nights are THE party night of the week in Austin, w/ crowds
of (mostly young) people doing the pub crawl, beer joints,
blues bars, comedy shows, more booze & parties.
I can put him (via you) in touch w/ some 20-somethings there who
can give the ins & outs of life in downtown Austin
(my older son lives there).

One of the must-do's on my list is tramping thru' the shops
on S.Congress. Funky, junky, antique-y, weird and fun. They all
offer something different. I like the ones that sell cheapie accessories
from Mexico (I stock up on carved, wooden cats). Digging around the
shelves turns up many an odd piece of vintage fabric and worn quilt.
Getting there by bus is easy, w/ plenty of sidewalk space for browsing.
http://www.wcities.com/en/record/,75893/36/record.html
It doesn't sparkle but it's real.

Another gotta' eat there place is Kerby Lane on South Lamar
(also accessible by bus):
Kerbey Lane Café 2700 S Lamar Blvd
Absolutely the best pancakes I've ever tasted, esp. the gingerbread
ones (I have a recipe for these and it's always a hit w/ family
and guests). It's not fancy, but it's delish.

Local memorabilia? Well, we got the tur..er.. what's his name
out of the state, mostly (he's not from here anyway) so there's
very little furor for or against his royal pain-in-the-buttness in
Austin. But there are still plenty of yahoos near the Capitol,
maybe we can send the current piker aka Governor Good Hair
(thanks, Molly Ivins) to your part of the world; for good/ever. g
Right now it's pretty much campaign buttons and the Texas Flag
everywhere.
Don't know about the vampire types but there's the every night
Flight of the Bats on Congress Ave:
http://www.austincityguide.com/conte...ats-austin.asp
again, right there in downtown, accessible via the city bus or
by walking.

Happy Trails/Travels to Marion's son.

Ragmop/Sandy--north of Austin in n.Tx. ;-)

Old October 27th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Oh gosh Sandy....now I don't want to work at the convention...I want to go
shopping! Darn.
KJ

Jack wrote:
Marion's son is going to be in Austin, Texas next week.

Is there a *good* fabric shop somewhere in the town centre?
Has to be easy to get to by public transport or walking, he
won't have the use of a car.

And is there anything local to Texas he could get? (Thinking of
something with a repeat of Bush dynasty portraits that could be
embroidered with pistol-range target patterns or luminous vampire
teeth...).

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

fabric shops in Philly or Archives... jules Needlework 7 March 30th 05 02:51 PM
Fabric shops in Longview/Marshall dackwoo Quilting 2 April 22nd 04 02:56 AM
elusive fabric! (long) Debbi Quilting 8 December 18th 03 08:54 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
OT - Fabric shops in LA - Santa Monica Johanna Gibson Quilting 1 August 2nd 03 03:17 PM