Can anyone identify this type of needle lace please?

Old May 11th 05, 02:46 PM

Default Can anyone identify this type of needle lace please?

I recently bought some napkins that have a type of needlace in one
corner (I'm not sure if "needlelace" is the correct term). Would
someone be able to identify the style for me and tell me the correct
name. Here is a link to the two photos of the needlelace.
http://tinyurl.com/85kx7

Any help identifying this would be really appreciated.

Fran

Old May 11th 05, 03:05 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Could be needlelace, or could be a combination with crochet. Hard to
tell from the pictures. The flower petals are worked with
needle/thread. And I'm pretty sure the other portion is needlelace, but
can't say for sure without it being in my possession.

Sorry I'm not of more help.
Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old May 11th 05, 03:16 PM

I recently bought some napkins that have a type of needlace in one
corner (I'm not sure if "needlelace" is the correct term). Would
someone be able to identify the style for me and tell me the correct
name. Here is a link to the two photos of the needlelace.
http://tinyurl.com/85kx7

Any help identifying this would be really appreciated.

Fran

Can you tell if this is a separate piece sewn onto the corners of the
linen? If so, I think this could be bobbin lace, primarily from the
leaves/petals of the flowers. This looks like the Torchon bobbin lace
method for doing leaves. Pic is he
http://www.loreleihalley.com/images/lace457.jpg
I am not familiar with the ground pattern on the rest of the corner.

Hope this helps
Catherine

Old May 11th 05, 03:35 PM

Thanks for looking Diane and Catherine,

There are definitely no crochet stitches, and yes it does appear to be
a separate piece that was then attached to the corner. The entire
napkin edge has a buttonhole stitch all around. I think that as the
buttonhole stitch was being executed around the corner it was used to
catch parts of the lace piece, thus attaching it very neatly without
the need for additional "attaching" stitches.

Fran

Old May 11th 05, 06:50 PM
Pat EAXStitch

wrote in message
ps.com...
I recently bought some napkins that have a type of needlace in one
corner (I'm not sure if "needlelace" is the correct term). Would
someone be able to identify the style for me and tell me the correct
name. Here is a link to the two photos of the needlelace.
http://tinyurl.com/85kx7

Any help identifying this would be really appreciated.

Fran

Could it be a crochet insert? It`s very similar to something my aunts and
grandmother did.

Lovely, whatever it is.

Pat P

Old May 11th 05, 11:26 PM
The Lady Gardener

Hi Fran

This is bobbin lace, done in a rather course thread in the Bedfordshire
style - the leaves worked in the overlapping manner is very typlical of this
lace. Lots of this table linen came out of China in the 1970's.

Hope that assists you.

Joanne in Perth (a lacemaker)

ps.com...

Old May 12th 05, 03:04 AM
Bob & Marg Whittleton

I recently bought some napkins that have a type of needlace in one
corner (I'm not sure if "needlelace" is the correct term). Would
someone be able to identify the style for me and tell me the correct
name. Here is a link to the two photos of the needlelace.
http://tinyurl.com/85kx7

Any help identifying this would be really appreciated.

Fran

The outside is crochet (although I don't know the technique for the
flower). The reason I know the outside is crochet is that I have
doilies in exactly that pattern made by a friend who crocheted them. If
you look closely at the picture you can see the crocheted edge and the
'radial' pattern in crochet work as it was increased.

Marg

Old May 12th 05, 05:10 AM

Hi Joanne,

Thanks so much for having a look for me. Your reply has been very
helpful. I found your comment about a lot of this table linen coming
out of China in the 1970's very interesting. I see many napkins with
Madeira style hand embroidery with similar or identical patterns in
the same colours and I suspect that many of these are from China also.
Hadn't seen one with bobbin lace before, though I am a child of the
70's :-)

Fran Perth WA.

Old May 12th 05, 05:16 AM

Thanks for taking the time to look and reply Pat and Marg,

In this case, many heads are better than one in trying to identify
this. You have no idea how many lace searches I have done on Google
trying to identify this :-)

Fran

Old May 12th 05, 05:32 AM

Hi,

My two cents worth: I'm sorry to disagree Marg, but I don't think
there's any crochet there at all. In my opinion it is bobbin lace, as
Joanne said.

The "radial" pattern you describe is formed by the pins - used to
stabilise the work while one is creating the bobbin lace - being
gradually placed further apart.

JMHO.

Yvette Stanton
Author of "Elegant Hardanger Embroidery" and "Mountmellick Embroidery:
Inspired by Nature"
www.embroidery.more.at
www.mountmellick.how.to
www.hardanger.how.to

question about sewing with denim and faux furs. [email protected] Needlework 3 January 11th 05 09:37 PM
HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 01:28 PM
Punch Needle Embroidery lula Needlework 48 October 6th 04 03:33 PM
Double needle problems georg Quilting 11 March 4th 04 02:26 PM
what is your favourite type & brand of knitting needle? Linda D. Yarn 17 November 11th 03 10:12 PM