My annual reckoning

Old January 2nd 05, 11:33 PM
nbhilyard

Default My annual reckoning

Back in 1998 I decided to keep track of the fabric I purchased and the
fabric I used. Each year since I have presented the tally to the
world--more specifically, to the online corner of the quilting world where I
hang out. I have always cheerfully admitted to buying more than I've used,
but in 2004 I outdid myself. (Bright spot: I used more in '04, too!) AND
this year I kept track of how much I spent.

I joined the No Buy challenge for '04-05. Since November 14 I have bought
only batting and 1/4 yd of gold lame for an immediate project.

I feel quite virtuous, I don't feel fabric-deprived, and have begun 2005
with great resolve to Use What I Have.

Nann
.....and here's the reckoning!
1998: bought 356 yards, used 170 yards
1999: bought 297 yards, used 172 yards
2000: bought 283 yards, used 124 yards
2001: bought 317 yards, used 163 yards
2002: bought 289 yards, used 153 yards
2003: bought 335 yards, used 136 yards
2004: bought 655 yards, used 228 yards
totals: 2532 bought, 1146 used (45%)
(that means I have about 1400 yards of fabric on hand)

2004 expense: $2264 (includes garment fabric, notions, batting, thread, as
well as quilt fabric)

Old January 2nd 05, 11:42 PM
Sharon Harper

Oooooh I bow down to the master....er....mistresss.....er....the boss lady!
Oh to have that much fabric! Oh to be able to BUY that much fabric! And
here I was happy with my few measly metres! ROFLOL

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old January 3rd 05, 12:19 AM
KJ

Wow! I'm so impressed with your bookkeeping! Congratulations on using so
much of your stash. I should be so industrious. Though I am working quite
hard today piecing a back so I can send a top to a machine quilter. I could
have bought yardage for the backing, but I'm working to use up all the
scraps from this project and adding from my fabric bank in order to finish
it. It takes almost as much work as it did to make the top!
--
Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old January 3rd 05, 12:34 AM
taria

Stash Raid!!!!!!!!!!
1400 is plenty for the raiders to share!

I don't keep formal track of purchases but the last 5 projects
(2 bed sized) were all from my stash. I am happy with that.
I am out of fabric storage so I am trying to get through the stash.
(almost always find myself in that boat) I was really good about
buying last year but did treat myself for my birthday last month.

Thanks for sharing Nann. It is really interesting to see.
Taria

Old January 3rd 05, 03:32 AM
Pat in Virginia

Good on you, finishing several projects this year Nann.
Is this No Buy Challenge an on line thing? Is it open
to others? I NEED the motivation. I put myself on a
fabric spending diet this year. I will avoid LQS except
for specific reasons, and RCTQ meetings of course!

Tomorrow I am meeting Hanne at our LQS. (Yippee!) I
have a 25% discount coupon but am giving it to her,
along with 2 40% coupons for Joanne's. Just helping a
friend AND reducing temptation! That should keep me on
track!

GO HOKIES!!
PAT in VA/USA

Old January 3rd 05, 04:18 AM
Pauline O'Connell

Helping a friend - or leading a friend into temptation Inquiring minds
want to know.

Pauline

Old January 3rd 05, 05:06 AM
nbhilyard

Pat,
The No Buy Challenge is part of Stashbusters.
Subscribe:
The Stashbusters don't have a copyright on the concept, though, and an
enterprising RCTQer could probably set up a challenge list here.

Nann

Old January 3rd 05, 05:39 AM
Joanna

Oh, my my...holly cow!!! I thought I spent a bit. No way do I even come
close that. My husband can't believe those numbers either. Do you quilt
full time like a job? Wow!
Joanna

nbhilyard wrote:

[...]

Remove Quilt to reply