Silk--What To Do?

Old September 6th 03, 12:36 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Default Silk--What To Do?

Try crazy quilting!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Joan8904" wrote in message
In the chaos that was moving Mom, I found a number of pieces of silk

clothing
that Daddy must have brought back from his tour of duty in Okinawa during

the
Korean Conflict. There is no chance that anyone in the family would wear

these
items (robes, lounging sets, scarves, etc). I've been thinking it might

be
nice to make some small throws, using the silk, for my sons and my

brother, to
remember my father. I'm certainly not going to cut into this 'fabric'

until I
know what I'm doing. Any suggestions? Any books that might help?

TIA,
joan
joan o'reilly
http://members.aol.com/Joan8904/index.html

Old September 6th 03, 01:14 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I've always worried that using a fusible stabilizer would react to the silk
long term. I use silk with my cq, but have been afraid to use it.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. com...
Silk ravels easily, and is slippery. But it sure is fun to use!

Most of the silk pieces I get to work on are traditional patchwork. I'd
suggest either fusing it to a lightweight stabilizer and then working with
it traditionally, or if you don't want to stabilize, plan on a 1/2" seam.
And if you're the kind who uses a needle until it breaks, pop for a new
needle -- you'll thank yourself. Other than that, really not much special.
Cotton thread seems to work just fine, both for piecing and quilting.

I love it when people bring me silk to work on. It just, well, glows. Yum!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old September 6th 03, 01:19 AM
shhdesigns

Yes, I agree with crazy quilting. Judith Montano has several books on the
projects. Large and small projects. Combine it with silk ribbon and make
family members keepsakes.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

Old September 6th 03, 01:26 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

But if you go looking for any of her books, she is Judith Montano Baker.
(might make a difference in the search).

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

. ..

Old September 6th 03, 01:32 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
I've always worried that using a fusible stabilizer would react to the

silk
long term. I use silk with my cq, but have been afraid to use it.

I'm just plain lazy -- I use the 1/2" seam and skip the extra step.

Old September 6th 03, 02:13 AM
Bob&Becky

If you don't want to go the crazy quilt route, but prefer a more organized
look, you might try "Silk Quilts" by Hanne Vibeke DeKoning-Stapel. All
sorts of information on using silk for traditional patchwork patterns.

Becky

Old September 6th 03, 06:06 AM
shhdesigns

oops, just a little brain dead from all the heat. Thanks LN.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
But if you go looking for any of her books, she is Judith Montano Baker.
(might make a difference in the search).

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"shhdesigns" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I agree with crazy quilting. Judith Montano has several books on

the
projects. Large and small projects. Combine it with silk ribbon and

make
family members keepsakes.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

FA:: Silk Screen Techniques, Biegeleisen and Cohn, TPB Number1Fred Marketplace 0 October 15th 04 02:48 AM
silk mori BDS2pds Needlework 0 February 20th 04 02:31 PM
Kreinik Silk Mori question Anne Tuchscherer Needlework 13 February 7th 04 06:59 AM
FA:: Silk Ribbon Machine Embroidery, Bednar, HB/DJ Number1Fred Marketplace 0 January 4th 04 10:26 PM
Navy blue silk velvet Ericka Kammerer Needlework 0 September 30th 03 02:22 AM