CNN 5 yrs after Katrina

Old August 29th 10, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default CNN 5 yrs after Katrina

After watching CNN for several hours report on the Gulf coast 5 years
after Katrina I was wondering if our on-the-spot reporters who lived
through the storm could give us a personal report. Are your
communities functioning again? Or maybe the question should be were
they functioning again before the oil spill created a new disaster?

Susan
Old August 29th 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Ambivalent. I think that's the word. We survived 12 hours of 90 mph winds.
Three weeks with no roads, no power, no water. Helicopters flying over
endlessly rushing medical emergencies out.
We were not victims; survivors.
Our family will be forever indebted to rctq and the Canadian law
officers and the Florida Highway patrol ( on 3-wheelers) and the pennies
from the Methodist Church 3 year-olds that bought diapers. That list is
endless. We respond to others in crisis every chance we get. The Halloween
where far-away folks brought treats and formed a circle at the highway so
our little guys could trick or treat by only their vehicles headlights.
We think that our DD and DSIL will get to move back into a home with
inside walls before Christmas.
We won't live long enough to see the beauty of our lands come back.
And anger. Just today, there was a report where someone quite indignant
had filed a claim with BP for $ 4,000 because she couldn't recreational fish
for 3 months.
The poor you have with you always. Jesus might have added, " And the
scum".
We mourn. We limp. We survive . . . and we will be forever
thankful for the goodness of friends and strangers who gave or prayed or
helped. Polly

Old August 29th 10, 07:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Well Susan 5 years ago today I was sitting in Ft. Payne Alabama, tired
and hungry from all the driving I had done. I left South Mississippi
early the morning before because I saw what was coming, thanks to NOAA
and the buoy reports they sent out. As I watched the reports I
realized I could be homeless. The governor closed all roads back
into Mississippi so I headed north just ahead of the storm.

I watched all the news reports everyday and trying to get through by
phone to my neighbors that didn't leave. We were on the west side of
the eye of the storm. When I got back home a month later I had no
electricity, phone, gas or water. I stocked my van up with water, an
ice chest full of food and a charcoal grill. I had to sleep in my van
the first night. It was still hot and humid that first week of
October, but luckily I only lost my beautiful trees, a shed with my
lawn mower and my fence. I lost all my food and some appliances but
was very lucky compared to my neighbors.

Once the roads opened up I went to the coast to see the damage and was
shocked at the damage. The bridge over the St. Louis Bay was gone.
It looked like it was ripped from its foundations. Whole forests were
destroyed. Today the forests are coming back, most homes have been
rebuilt and most stores are back and operating as usual. But Katrina
is still a topic of discussion almost on a daily basis even after 5
years. Most small businesses have never returned including the LQS
along the coast. Many friends and neighbors have never returned. As
we go into the height of the hurricane season, we all go about our
daily lives with an ear to the radio and a watchful eye on the skies.

As for the oil spill, it finally closed my favorite fish house. The
man I hired to help mow my yard is an unemployed engineer who worked
on the oil rigs. He cuts grass now for a living.

One thing I must say, our beaches are clean and the waters a without
oil. The fishermen are now back out on the waters bringing in some of
the best tasting shrimp and crabs I've ever had. If any of you want
to spend the last days of summer at the beach, come on down. The
motel rates are very reasonable, the food is great and the beaches are
just beautiful.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old August 29th 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

thanks to both Polly and Kate for their reports. I always remember
Polly's story about Halloween by never saw anything about it on TV.
You should send the story to CNN or someone. It is one of the good
stories from the crisis. So many of those interviewed this week said
that they only have survived or rebuilt because of the volunteers.
They commented on how the volunteers continue to return to the area
even five years later. That is one of the good parts of America.

Susan
Old August 31st 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lynne in toronto

What beautiful and sad and wonderful stories.

I think of my American friends so often...the anniversary of Katrina
always brings tears to my eyes, and I still wonder at the seeming
ineptitude of governments in such crises.

In Pakistan close to 20 million are affected by the floods, and what
government COULD be prepared for that?

At the university where I teach we have a new (ish) programme on the
management of emergency response teams. The purpose is to train
senior emergency responders to coordinate their teams more effectively
in a crisis.

One thing we know for sure...on the ground, in the early days, or
perhaps longer, it is one person helping another. (LOVE the Halowe'en
story!)

I'll be praying and keeping my eyes on CNN for the next few days.
Earl is currently headed straight for Nova Scotia (where I spent the
first 12 years of my lfe).

Blessings, all.

Lynne in Toronto

Old September 2nd 10, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Polly and anyone... CNN 5 yrs after Katrina

I felt very sad. Sad that the survivors have endured so much yet too
many,(mainly red tape people) are dragging their feet STILL! A lot have
not returned to area because of the gov't slow actions. I'm not sure I
would want to return after living through this. But certainly if it was
their HOME and they want to return there should have been more help.
It's sad that I can't do anything more then lip service and prayers! But
I do still pray for those effected by Katrina. Those that did stay and
rebuild deserve the world's largest HERO cookie! Not only are they
survivors, but they have the strength of Hero's! I am truly thankful for
their inspiration! Thanx for sharing Polly.
Take Care
joanna