Faceting question...

Old July 2nd 03, 04:55 AM
Dave Adams

Default Faceting question...

I don't know how many of you do your own faceting...But I was
wondering if you could offer any insight to a good entry level
machine, and the costs associated with this.

Dave
Old July 2nd 03, 06:42 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Excellent question but hard to answer as much of depends on you. Kinda
like the usual question of - say - buying a flexshaft - used, harbor
freight,Foredom.
If you have a gem & Mineral club nearby, it may offer classes as mine
does in faceting. Even if you don't join/participate some of those
folks will be using older machines, some newer machines, some may give
private lessons, may be some machines for sale - in general, a good
place to network.
If funds are not a problem AND you are not mechanically inclined or
related to someone who is a machinst - stay away from used machines
UNLESS it's purchase is from the person who actually uses it, the
company that made it still manufactures faceting machines, and you feel
VERY comfortable the machine has been cutting good stones without a lot
of special/tricky manipulation.

If funds are tight, try to avoid the problems outlined above, get as
many laps accesories in the deal as possible, try to get someone who
facets to check the machine out, realize if some relatives have found
deceased uncle Bob's machine under some disassembeld VW bug parts in the
barn it MAY ned some alignment done - you better be or know a machinist
or HOPE it is a brand that can still be sent to the manufacturer and
'tuned up'.

As for brands - they will all do the job and they all have some
downside. I use an Ultratec now and have used a facetron and my forst
machine was an old taylor which needed several tweaks and mods to just
be useable - but I won competitions with it - it just was more
hassle/slower than the UT. Your EYE is the most important part of the
faceting machine - but you shouldn't have to fight the machine all the way.

The new facetron has a dial indicator (ala Ultratec) and it has a big
following, the XtalTek and other prismatic models are very nice.
face-Ette Gemasta is very pricy but very sturdy.

If you are doinfg research I think you would like to visit
www.gemsociety.org - they have a review in the archives I think. Bob's
Rockshop has some stuff (including a coupla' my designs)
www.rockhounds.com also check www.gearloose.com for PLANS to build
your own machine and some tweaks/upgrades for older machines.

as for costs - I have seen older Graves with a few accessories go at
club shows in the low hundreds. A new machine as outlined above with
some new laps - 3K and up is likely. Depends on what bells and whistles
you want and what laps. faceter's also make a lot of their own laps -
especially polishing laps.

If you want more info. email me with facet stuff or something like it in
the subject.
have fun
Carl
1 Lucky Texan

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old July 4th 03, 07:15 PM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

CORRECTION!

The new facetron has a dial indicator (ala Ultratec) and it has a big
following, the XtalTek and other prismatic models are very nice.
face-Ette Gemasta is very pricy but very sturdy.

that shoulda' read - and other Polymetric models -
sorry.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan