OT Long overdue update on how I am doing...

Old May 20th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L in MA

Default OT Long overdue update on how I am doing...

Hi,

I has been ages since I posted a message about my health. There really
hasn't been a whole lot to say, though. I'll probably make up for that
today :-)

So, last time I posted, I had just completed my chemotherapy treatment.
That was two months ago. Since then I have been on a non-chemo drug
that, in simplest terms, prevents the growth of cancer cells. There is
a lot more to it than that but that is its essence. In fact, I just got
back from having my latest dose. (More news about today at the end of
this message.)

I have started to go in to work at my office two days a week. Apart
from feeling like I am in a foreign country sometimes, it feels good.
The rest of the week, I work at home - another foreign country sometimes :-)
Most days I feel really good, although I still get more tired than I
like to at the end of the day. This is improving slowly.

Probably the most humorous part of all this is the hair loss. I am
happy to report that my hair is now growing back pretty quickly. Most
of my adult friends tell me that it looks very "hip". Children, on the
other hand, tell the truth. One of my almost-four-year-old twin nephews
(Nick, if I remember correctly) observed when he saw me recently that
"You don't have some hair!". I thought that was pretty funny and then
last week my new young friend Alyssa (I had a very nice visit with her,
her younger sister and their mother) asked why I was wearing a scarf on
my head. When I told her, she asked if she could take the scarf off to
see. Once it was off, she asked "Are you a boy or a girl?". (I laughed
at that, too.) We sorted that out and then she decided that I looked
better without the scarf - very tactful child! Even CVS has an
opinion. I recently received a free sample of volumizing shampoo in the
mail from them. The laughing never stops :-)

This brings us to this week. On Monday I had a CT scan and I got the
results today. There has been a small amount of reduction in the size
of my tumor since the last scan. There has also been reduction in its
density. Much of the lymphangitic spread has resolved or reduced. In
short, not perfect but very good news. I will continue to receive the
avastin infusion every three weeks for the foreseeable future. If that
stops working or causes problems, there are other treatments "waiting in
the wings".

That's about it. As always, thank you for all the prayers and well
wishes. Obviously they worked!

Rita

--
Rita L. in MA - One eyed Mutant Ninja Quilter :-)
Old May 20th 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

So very glad to hear from you with this update Rita. Thank you. Every
time I see you have posted a message, I wonder how you have been doing.
It is great to hear the goodish news. Let's hope that the good news
will be compounded and it will become very good indeed.
..
In message , Rita L in MA
writes

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 20th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

It is so good to have an update from you, Rita. We hold you so close and
wanted to know how the battle was going. Also enjoyed your comments from the
little folks. "Are you a boy or a girl?" tickles us so. How precious.
Polly

"Patti" wrote So very glad to hear from you with this update Rita. Thank
you. Every
time I see you have posted a message, I wonder how you have been doing. It
is great to hear the goodish news. Let's hope that the good news will be
compounded and it will become very good indeed.
.

Rita L in MA wroteHi,

I has been ages since I posted a message about my health. There really
hasn't been a whole lot to say, though. I'll probably make up for that
today :-)

So, last time I posted, I had just completed my chemotherapy treatment.
That was two months ago. Since then I have been on a non-chemo drug
that, in simplest terms, prevents the growth of cancer cells. There is
a lot more to it than that but that is its essence. In fact, I just got
back from having my latest dose. (More news about today at the end of
this message.)

I have started to go in to work at my office two days a week. Apart
from feeling like I am in a foreign country sometimes, it feels good.
The rest of the week, I work at home - another foreign country sometimes
:-)

Old May 20th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

Congrats on the relatively good news. And aren't children wonderful? I'm
glad you're seeing the humor in their innocence, because they are just plain
funny! And it's so nice of CVS to join in! Isn't it ironic how something as
simple as a sample of volumizing shampoo would have almost gone unnoticed a
few months ago, and now is the source of laughter? Keep on laughing - it's
good medicine!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old May 20th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Glad you got a good report from the doctor and that you are slowly feeling
better. You are in my continuing prayers.
Barbara in SC

Old May 21st 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Rita L in MA wrote:
[...]

All moderately good news, given the circumstances. Phew! Prayers
continue. It'll be slower than you'd like, but you are getting there.

I love the way kids just come out with things.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old May 21st 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

How great to hear that at least things are moving in the right direction.
Stay strong and positive... I believe a strong attitude is a critical
component in any recovery.

Prayers for continued positive results from your treatments will continue.

--
Kate in MI

Old May 21st 09, 07:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judy from Mass

Great to hear this Rita, so far so good. All well wishes going your way!
When you get some time I'd like to hear more about avastin, though I
doubt it would apply to me.
Getting a new doctor at the end of the month - I fired my last one!

Judy from Mass

Old May 21st 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT Firing doctors...

Good for you, Judy. Good, good for you. Everyone should fire a doctor if
they've got it coming.
I didn't fire one but I did light a fire under a cold-hearted young
rascal.
I told him the next time I needed someone from his specialty, I was
going to Dr. X or perhaps Dr. Y.
"Good grief," said young doctor Uppity. " Dr X is the coroner and Dr Y
is a forensic pathologist."
"Right," says I, "and they both treat their patients a whole lot nicer
than you do".
I hear his manner improved a whole lot after that. Polly

"Judy from Mass" wrote Great to hear this Rita, so far so good. All well