Help with designing/making own family reunion t-shirts

Old June 23rd 04, 02:03 PM
katie-mae

Default Help with designing/making own family reunion t-shirts

I'm coordinating a family reunion for August. It's a come-as-you-are
and bring-yer-own-eats. Nobody wants to spend money!!!

What I want to do is write up directions for how folks can create
their own t-shirts using our logo, a plain white t-shirt, a color
computer printer, and whatever is needed from a craft store to do an
iron-on transfer .

I have actually designed a "double logo" that I want to combine into
one graphic for folks to use and I don't know quite how to do that
either.

http://members.aol.com/americanaatti..._2004_logo.gif

http://members.aol.com/americanaatti...mily_chain.gif

What I want to do is combine the two logos with the name logo larger
than the family chain pic and follow that with a line of text that has
the date and location.

Can anybody help lead me in the right direction of how to
accomplish???

I want to send a global email to participants that there is a link
with detailed directions of how to "make your own reunion
t-shirt!!!"....

.....but I am totally clueless where I sit!!!

Any help pointing me in the right direction(s) as to software needed,
supplies (and what they are called) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kathy
Old June 23rd 04, 04:26 PM
DaveS

Looks like a great idea !!!
Have you consider in addition to using the front of the shirt for placement,
dividing your desires between the front and back of t-shirt ?
Similar to rock concert T-shirts, always with the dates and locations of all
concerts on the back of the shirt.
I tend to go to Staples for my copying, perhaps even a phone call could
answer your questions.
Good luck
om...

Old June 23rd 04, 05:11 PM
Ella

If that would be iron on it has to be "mirror image"

Here you have a sample.

http://www.calgaryweb.com/test.htm

My favorite program for "fast" design is Corel Xara2
You can do that in any other graphic program. Remember after you're done
(-for iron on -) do the mirror image of your design.
I saved one design as gif and other as jpeg.
Letters come clearer when saved in gif but for the t-shirt it wouldn't be
any visible difference.
For someone like me it would take 5 min to do that but for someone who is
just starting to use program may take a bit more)).
Ella
..

Old June 25th 04, 03:16 PM
DJ FearRoss

In the UK. I go to "PC world" and buy the special paper which i stick
into my printed and print my design onto that.

I buy my t-shirts from a wholsaler "www.trade-clothing" and then iron
the design onto that.

Old June 26th 04, 09:14 PM
katie-mae

Ella:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It never would have dawned on me to reverse
the image to a mirror image for ironing on. Where is my 50-something
brain???!!!

.

Old June 26th 04, 09:16 PM
katie-mae

Dave:

LOL!!! I've never been to a rock concert and never had a rock concert
t-shirt. But I like the sound of that except folks would have to use
(2) iron-ons and actually use the iron twice!!! I don't think my
family would do that.

But I shall give 'em the option. That will surely keep the peace.
Old June 29th 04, 07:44 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article ,
(katie-mae) wrote:

I'm coordinating a family reunion for August. It's a come-as-you-are
and bring-yer-own-eats. Nobody wants to spend money!!!

I have actually designed a "double logo" that I want to combine into
one graphic for folks to use and I don't know quite how to do that
either.

http://members.aol.com/americanaatti..._2004_logo.gif

http://members.aol.com/americanaatti...mily_chain.gif

Kathy

Could you get them to pony up a buck or something -- YOU print the logo
on transfer paper and mail it to them with instructions for ironing onto
a t-shirt. I did a t-shirt 5 years ago and used Hanes iron-on transfer
paper, printed from my computer - it was recommended by more than one
person as THE paper to use. I think the instructions remind you to
reverse the picture so it comes out correctly.

And let me tell you that I almost choked when I saw the URL -- Schaller
is my last name!
-Barb Schaller
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com An update on 6/27/04.

Old June 30th 04, 02:25 AM
Pat Kight

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
(katie-mae) wrote:

I'm coordinating a family reunion for August. It's a come-as-you-are
and bring-yer-own-eats. Nobody wants to spend money!!!

I have actually designed a "double logo" that I want to combine into
one graphic for folks to use and I don't know quite how to do that
either.

http://members.aol.com/americanaatti..._2004_logo.gif

http://members.aol.com/americanaatti...mily_chain.gif

Kathy

Could you get them to pony up a buck or something -- YOU print the logo
on transfer paper and mail it to them with instructions for ironing onto
a t-shirt. I did a t-shirt 5 years ago and used Hanes iron-on transfer
paper, printed from my computer - it was recommended by more than one
person as THE paper to use. I think the instructions remind you to
reverse the picture so it comes out correctly.

If you're using transfers, you may want to simplify the text part of your
logo - get rid of the drop-shadow and dimensional stuff. They look very
nice on my screen, and would print up well on paper - but transfers tend to
drop out lot of detail, and I don't think you'd be happy with the results.
Plain one-color lettering is usually best, though interesting fonts are
fine as long as they're bold and legible.

--
Pat Kight

Old July 7th 04, 12:00 AM
katie-mae

Barb:

Holy moley Antony!!!

I had the same reaction. I've sent you a link to the reunion web site.
Maybe we're shirt-tail relatives. (grin)

Kathy