Software for stained glass desing - recommendations ?

Old May 12th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
javahut

Default Software for stained glass desing - recommendations ?

"Adrian" wrote in message
HI All

Until Christmas most of the stained glass work I've been doing has
been smaller pieces (suncatcher-size) - either to one of my own
designs or on the basis of 'what looks right from the 'scrap' bins.

This year I've been a bit more proactive about selling my stained
glass (and the fused jewellery) - and now have regular weekly markets
that I sell at, and the income is starting to 'balance' my investment
in kit, time & glass over the past few years...

I'm beginning to get enquiries about larger, more complicated, pieces
- window panels, mirrors & suchlike - the kind of thing that really
needs drawing out properly, and, possibly (?probably!), prior approval
by the client.

So - I wondered what the general feeling is about software to help
with the drawing process ? I downloaded a copy of Glass Eye some years
ago - but, at the time, couldn't justify the cost (from $150 to
$lots!).
I'm evaluating it again now - and wondering if it's perhaps a
worthwhile investment....?

The catch22 is that I could imagine the ability to 'grab' a printed /
scanned design and translate it into an editable vector with one
'click' would be very desirable - but this feature isn't in the
entry-level software - you have to buy the $450 version for this....

I already have 'general' drawing software (PaintShopPro) - but, of
course, it doesn't 'understand' pieces of glass like Glass Eye does.

So - I wondered what you use, and whether you'd consider Glass Eye to
be worth the money ??

Thanks in advance
Adrian

Because of its flexibility, I use Canvas 8 by Deneba software, which is part
of ACDSee now.

I believe the latest version is 10....Canvas X, here is a link to the page
and free demo.
http://www.deneba.com/

the reason I like it is that it does alot of what Photoshop does and alot of
what turbocad does in one program.

It does have a bit of a learning curve, but it is a quality piece of work
that you will not have to upgrade unless you want to. As I said earlier, I
am using version 8 but own up to 9(which I have not used).

I draw with the lead size I want to build with, thanks to customizable
parallel lines, and it has 20+ undo's, in case I just don't like something.
It will snap lines to precise measurements and I print the patterns out with
a 24 in HP Designjet "large format printer", so there is no trip to the
blueprinter, with the associated expense.

The lines that are printed full size are in parallel, so I know where the
miters will be for the lead, if I blow up the design or change the
dimensions, the lines don't get fatter, they just change position, works
great.

Look at it as a one time expense.

I have been using it since 1997, when I decided the time I spent on the
table drawing and changing would not allow me to build at a competitive
price, I needed to do something to give me an edge. that was it.

I now design for myself and 3 other studios, and have done some for people
on this NG also. I have the time to design, as if with a pencil, without
having to erase, or spend my time on thumbnails and then time enlarging, or
paying for enlarging. the printer was a major expense, but I charge to
print others work, and it works out OK, I don't get rich off doing it, but
my doors are still open, when other peoples are no longer there.

this is long winded, sorry, but this program will save you alot of grief,
but the program is no good without the printer.

By the way, the paper is $9.50 for a 50 yd roll, 24 in wide, ink, in Black
only, which is all you need, is $36 for a cartridge.
I charge,( or figure into the job), $4.00 a running foot to print. It
pays for itself.

Potter Glass painting stained glass manual 1880 FA JaneyP Marketplace 0 February 15th 06 12:22 AM
Stained Glass Dave Glass 38 May 28th 04 07:05 AM
stained glass? Liam Striker Glass 7 November 4th 03 04:43 AM
STAINED GLASS SOFTWARE John J. Collins III Glass 14 October 30th 03 11:10 AM