quilting a Chicken Block

Old October 17th 03, 12:35 AM
Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\)

Default quilting a Chicken Block

http://community.webshots.com/user/cchilb

you will find the block at the above link. it is named "chicken block"
I have the chicken glue down with fabric glue.

Now how does one fix the blocks on the quilt block?

Old October 17th 03, 01:14 AM
Kathy Applebaum

I'm not following you... are you asking for suggestions on how to quilt it,
or how to set it into a quilt?

(As for quilting, it's just SCREAMING for feathers!)
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

s.com...

Old October 17th 03, 01:20 AM
Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\)

sorry Kathy...
What is the next step I need to do, on the chicken block..
I know I cannot let it say glue or it will come undone when it is washed.
I know the chicken needs to be sewed to the yellow block.. but am wondering
how to do this Kathy and make it look nice.
Christina in Ok

Old October 17th 03, 01:25 AM
Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\)

add.....
I wish to do this on the sewing machine Kathy..
somehow

Old October 17th 03, 01:45 AM
Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\)

ok, did you see the beak, how do you do the very small parts? Turning it
around..
I take it I should go really slow..

On the stitches.. how far into the chicken do I want to go, and how far on
the yellow block?
My machine is 1-5 in zigzag, I don't think it has the blanket
stitch --/\-----/\ I will try to get a photo of what stitches my machine
has. and will post here once I have it uploaded.

"Liz and Steve Ford" wrote in message
. au...
Hi Christina probably the easiest way is to satin stitch, tight zig zag or
blanket stitch around it. Depending on your machine and what stitches it
has. If only stright and zig zag just lower the width and size of the

stitch
so that they are close together. It is also easier to do if you use

tearaway
or greaseproof paper on the back of the fabric (tear off when finished)

this
just gives a more even stitch.
Hope that's some help.
Liz Waikiki Western Australia

Old October 17th 03, 01:54 AM
Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\)

Liz I have the photo upload on what my machine can stitch... the ones in
gold are for stretch stitch ( but I guess I can use them) It will be the
2nd photo under quilting.

Old October 17th 03, 05:44 AM
Liz and Steve Ford

Hi Christina have actually managed to quilt 1/2 new borns quilt while
waiting for the birth. I am very impressed with your photo webbing skills -
still haven't got that far with mine!

Okay firstly the zig zag stitch, use a scrap piece of fabric and reduce the
size and width of your zigzag until they are quite close together (more to
stop fraying than anything else). Once you have this right go to your chook
start on a fairly straight (or slight curve) section. You want to have the
raw edge of the chook covered with your stitches. Place your needle down
when you get to the beginning of a curve and gently turn your block a mm at
a time, this will leave less obvious spaces between your stitches. When you
get to the beak just lower your stitch size as you go down his beak then
bring it back up again as you return - practise a little before starting.

You could possibly use the 5th stitch from the left (in the photo) in gold,
for the blanket stitch look - again play with sizes!

Good luck

Liz
Waikiki Western Australia

PS where is OK?

Old October 17th 03, 05:57 AM
Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\)

I just don't know how you do it.. wow 1/2 quilt finished in so little time
too!! bet you just cannot wait!!
enjoy the wee one Liz.

since your last post, I took the zig and zaged with it.. all 4 squares are
now outlined in black now ( all I had unless I wanted to use white thread)

Not as good as they should be, but I think they will now work.. ( I am so
bad to get in a hurry)
so the beaks are a little funny as I did not decreases the stitch when I got
to them.. Doesn't look all that bad, Funny thing is I had to iron them to
death as I got pleats while working on them.. ( I guess I should have sewed
the chickens on a bigger piece of fabric first then cut them down to size..
I will finish the boarder tomorrow..and try to upload a shot of the finished
chickens also
Thanks for your help, I would have never worked it out on my own, and would
have just removed the chickens blocks all together. just glad that part is
finished.. and I am still on track and should be able to pin the quilt
starting Saturday
Christina in OK ( Ok stands for Oklahoma)
you can find us at this map, look in the light green part of the USA, until
you find OK

Old October 18th 03, 03:49 AM
Pat in Virginia

Basic quilting books are a boon to every quilter's book shelf.
Borrow a few from the County Library and when you find what you
like, go buy one. Favorites of many quilters include: Quilts,
Quilts, Quilts; Quilter's Complete Guide; Singer's Series; Your
First Quilt Book (or it Should Be!) .... just some ideas to get
you started, NAYY. A basic book is your best quilting friend and
will answer your question.
PAT in VA/USA
PS: I suggest satin stitch applique.