Schooling.

Old July 8th 10, 07:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
joyce

Default Schooling.

It's too difficult to have a conversation with quiz postings, so I'm
opening it up here.

The question was"Not counting kindergarten, how many years does an
American child attend school?" (from memory) To me, kindergarten is the
first 2 years of "big school", so I said 10. Finding it wrong, I
presumed kindergarten in USA must be preschool. Nalee said no, it's the
year before 1st grade. Isn't that pre-school?

When I was in UK, kids started school the term before they turned 5, so
thay started early with the basic learning activities, and didn't jump
straight into the 3 Rs, as they do here in South Africa, starting at 6.

Nalee thinks "preschool" is a day-care cop-out for parents, but here it
is a desirable place for children whose parents don't give them the
basic learning encouragement, often through no fault of their own.
Those who can afford it can have plenty of learning activities with
other children in "Moms and Tots", etc. but the poor and ill-educated
don't even know about it, not to speak of being able to pay for it, and
their children start school not even knowing how to count to 5, or
having seen a picture book.

Having been a teacher, I'm very interested in every country's schooling
system. I think school starts too late here, but they have brought in
"Grade R", which is a preschool year. There are also school fees, and
purchase of all stationery, which is a hardship to poor parents.

Just some thoughts, brought on by the quiz.

Joyce in RSA.
Old July 8th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:46:03 +0200, joyce wrote:

The question was"Not counting kindergarten, how many years does an
American child attend school?" (from memory) To me, kindergarten is the
first 2 years of "big school", so I said 10. Finding it wrong, I
presumed kindergarten in USA must be preschool. Nalee said no, it's the
year before 1st grade. Isn't that pre-school?

Preschool is generally one or two years of private schooling before entering
formal school. Preschoolers are generally 3 or 4 years old, and the emphasis
tends to be on basic social skills, color identification, numbers, etc.
Children of poor or immigrant families generally did poorly in standard
US schools so in 1965. a federal program of preschool for those families
was established as an experimental program; it worked so well and the
academic gains were enough that it continues as Head Start. Preschool and
Head Start are both optional programs, not required of children, so are
usually not counted in mandatory schooling. Before the current economic
woes, some school districts were offering "pre-Kindergarten", which was
essentially preschool paid for by the local school district.

First required year, often a half-day program, is called Kindergarten, usually
for 5 year olds. Back in the early Jurassic (late 1950s), we sang songs,
learned colors and numbers and shapes, played, learned to line up and
not push and shove, and those sorts of socialization exercises. Many kinder-
gartens now do early reading and arithmetic. Kindergarten is not required
in all states, to the best of my knowledge.

First through 12th grades are the usual (mostly required) grades, typically
covering ages 6 through 18. In many states, school attendence is required
only to age 16, and many students, unfortunately, drop out of school then,
instead of completing the requirements for graduation from high school,
which is the usual prerequisite for college/university admission.

So the answer to your question isn't as easy as it seems. In most states,
Kindergarten and 12 years of grade school and high school are paid for by the
school district and required for graduation from high school, so 13 years,
Children younger than 16 must attend, but 16 and older can drop out. In some
states, Kindergarten is not required.

Generally, preschool and college/university education (the non-compulsory
years) are paid for parents, and the compulsory K-12 years are paid for
by the school district, Even that "rule" is a little squishy, though, as
school districts pay for early childhood services and education for kids
who are judged unlikely to do well in school without extra help -- a child
with severe hearing loss, for instance.

Nalee thinks "preschool" is a day-care cop-out for parents, but here it
is a desirable place for children whose parents don't give them the
basic learning encouragement, often through no fault of their own.
Those who can afford it can have plenty of learning activities with
other children in "Moms and Tots", etc. but the poor and ill-educated
don't even know about it, not to speak of being able to pay for it, and
their children start school not even knowing how to count to 5, or
having seen a picture book.

This was the genesis of Head Start here... and many of the Head Start
programs have a parental involvement component, too, where parents assist
the Head Start teacher, and (hopefully) learn more about how talking
with your kids, reading to them, asking them to do things like "bring
me the red bowl", can help with their later education.

Having been a teacher, I'm very interested in every country's schooling
system. I think school starts too late here, but they have brought in
"Grade R", which is a preschool year. There are also school fees, and
purchase of all stationery, which is a hardship to poor parents.

School district funding is a mess right now, made worse by the current
economy. Funds are derived from property taxes, from local option taxes
(thus, wealthy districts tend to have better funding), from income taxes,
from fundraising, etc. This tends to lead to rather unstable funding
of schools, so programs just get their sea legs, and are then cut with the
next economic downturn. In my area, for instance, class sizes are about
24 students, but once you get to pre-college classes, you may find class sizes
of 40-50 in subjects like advanced algebra or calculus -- if those classes
haven't been chopped out of the schedule entirely. Music, drama, shop classes,
sewing, home ec, and physical education are being chopped out of curricula,
and school years are being shortened by as much as 10 instructional days
a year.

School stationery and supplies like notebooks, pens, pencils, etc are paid
by the parents here, but there are also major drives at the beginning of
every school year for donations of supplies (and clothing, and winter coats
and shoes) for kids whose families cannot support them. One of the saddest
things I know of is a local school district has found a very cheap way to
boost student learning... they send home a bag with their poorest students
every Friday evening: bread, peanut butter, jam, and canned soup, The kids
then have something to eat over the weekend. Those supplies are privately
donated. :-(

Kay