reinforcing stained-glass panel

Old April 2nd 04, 07:57 AM
Adrian Brentnall

Default reinforcing stained-glass panel

Hi all
I'm making a stained-glass windo panel for our local Church.
Nothing fancy - 4 square bevels and 2" strips of glass as a border and
a simple geometrical design in the centre. The panel will be 30cm x
55cm - and will sit inside one pane of a wooden sash window.

Question is - what sort of reinforcement is necessary ?
I have some brass 'u'-channel, which I was going to use around the
outside edge of the panel. I've not used this material before - it's
the right size to slip over the edge of the glass.

Should I foil the outside edge of the glass first and then solder the
brass to the foil as best I can - or leave the outside edge unfoiled
and solder the brass to the foil seams that join it at right angles..?
Maybe some epoxy glue to secure the glass in the u-section ?

I'm possibly going to reinforce some of the seams in the centre of the
design with some heavy copper wire.... depending on how solid it
appears once it's assembled.

Any advice gratefully received
Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Old April 2nd 04, 02:42 PM
Moonraker

WHY are you thinking of foiling a window ? Use lead, zinc, or brass came
and you won't have to worry about reinforcing or the border.

Your idea of using epoxy in the channels of the came is original, anyway.
Folks who do glass professionally use an oil based putty.

Best advice? Donate the funds to the church so they can have the window
built professionally.

Old April 3rd 04, 08:53 AM
Adrian Brentnall

HI Moonraker

Thanks for the reply.

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:42:08 -0500, "Moonraker"
wrote:

WHY are you thinking of foiling a window ? Use lead, zinc, or brass came
and you won't have to worry about reinforcing or the border.

I am using the copper foil technique because it's something I'm
familiar with - and, after all, the window is not that large. It's not
going to be exposed to the weather - it's a panel fitting inside an
existing window.

Your idea of using epoxy in the channels of the came is original, anyway.
Folks who do glass professionally use an oil based putty.

We may be talking at cross-purposes here - the brass section I'm using
is quite small (.15" deep x .15" wide) and fits the thickness of the
glass without any gaps - don't think you'd get putty into it as well
as the glass..?

Best advice? Donate the funds to the church so they can have the window
built professionally.

That's always a possibility ......
..
After your encouraging message yesterday g I got busy and cut /
foiled / assembled the window. Looking good so far....

Still needs the beading finishing off, and the brass section attached
around the outside. As the outer edge of the panel is already foiled
I'm going to slip the brass over the foil and solder it where I
can.... unless anybody has any alternative suggestions ..?

The panel is strengthened (on the back) with two pieces of heavy
copper wire which run across the piece - and it's feeling reasonably
strong already.

This is my first attempt at a panel this large - which is why I was
asking advice.

I've been designing, making and selling smaller items for several of
years now - who knows, if I stick at it long enough I might even get
good enough to do it 'professionally'..... g

Regards
Adrian
Suffolk UK

.. .

Old April 3rd 04, 10:55 AM
Elizabeth in UK

Hello Adrian - glad to see you are still working with stained glass!
I agree with Moonraker - unless they particularly want a complicated
design better rendered using copper foil/solder you would be better
using lead cames for your panel. Easier to get straight lines and
perhaps more fitting for the building.
Regards
Elizabeth in Bournemouth/UK
http://www.stainedglass.co.uk
Old April 3rd 04, 03:51 PM
Moonraker

wrote:

WHY are you thinking of foiling a window ? Use lead, zinc, or brass

came
and you won't have to worry about reinforcing or the border.

I am using the copper foil technique because it's something I'm
familiar with - and, after all, the window is not that large. It's not
going to be exposed to the weather - it's a panel fitting inside an
existing window.

And copper foiling is very time-consuming. While I know how, and have done
a lot of it, I promise you I could build 3 leaded windows in the same time
as one made with foil. I don't like foiling. Period. Not that I think
it's a "wrong" technique or anything like that, it's just that I hate doing
it.

Your idea of using epoxy in the channels of the came is original, anyway.
Folks who do glass professionally use an oil based putty.

We may be talking at cross-purposes here - the brass section I'm using
is quite small (.15" deep x .15" wide) and fits the thickness of the
glass without any gaps - don't think you'd get putty into it as well
as the glass..?

Ummmhuh.....but you can get the putty out if needed. Epoxy is, well,
permanent. I was thinking about the need for future repairs.

.
After your encouraging message yesterday g I got busy and cut /
foiled / assembled the window. Looking good so far....

Heh.......

The panel is strengthened (on the back) with two pieces of heavy
copper wire which run across the piece - and it's feeling reasonably
strong already.

If it is just sitting in an existing sash with no weather and wind load and
protected on one side with POG (plain old glass), heavy reinforcing is
probably not required. I'd be more comfortable with some 3/8" zinc or brass
"U" came on the perimiter than the 1/8" brass U that you are talking about.

Old April 3rd 04, 03:59 PM
suzilem

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

And copper foiling is very time-consuming. While I know how, and have

done
a lot of it, I promise you I could build 3 leaded windows in the same

time
as one made with foil. I don't like foiling. Period. Not that I think
it's a "wrong" technique or anything like that, it's just that I hate

doing
it.

I understand the feeling. It's exactly how I feel about lead. :-)

Old April 3rd 04, 04:15 PM
Moonraker

"suzilem" wrote in message

I don't like foiling. Period. Not that I think
it's a "wrong" technique or anything like that, it's just that I hate

doing
it.

I understand the feeling. It's exactly how I feel about lead. :-)

And I hate brass came worse than anything....