OT Getting serious about handbags/Missy update

Old October 7th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT Getting serious about handbags/Missy update

Okay. I'm working on the design process and I think I have it all worked
out...... "The Spunky Gal Organizer". VBG Now, on to practical matters.
The bag I'm working on is a darling lavender/purple/bright pink print. It
looks great. BUT..... if you weren't wearing a lavender or purple dress or
black slacks and a white shirt the bag would clash with just about anything
else. Not too practical or versatile.

I live in a very small town. It's a place where the wages are not very
high, altho the cost of living is quite reasonable, and the normal dress is
casual even at work places. I just don't see the local women having a
different bag for every outfit. Would it make more sense to make the bags
from solid black, navy or brown with just a bit of pretty print fabrics for
accents- including the lining? That way the bags would match many more
outfits and make them more useable. I'm thinking of ordering the solid
colored fabric in the nice stout Kona solid fabrics and using accent prints
and batiks from my stash.

Color consultation? Any thoughts?

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

PS: My sweet Missy girl seems to be breathing much easier with three doses
of the prednisone in her. Whew! What a wonderful, blessed change in her
comfort level!!!

Old October 7th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

So very glad to hear about Missy, Leslie.

There are two ways to think about bags and outfits. One is to think in
terms of colours that would match most outfits. In that case, I think
black and brown would be your basics, because black would go through the
black, grey, blue and red ranges; and brown would go through the brown,
beige, green, yellow, cream ranges.
For these I would think that a gorgeous lining would be fine and lovely.
I don't think a coloured accent on the outside would be good, because
that might limit them again. However, accents in 'texture' or varying
prints within the same colour could provide great appeal.

On the other hand, you could think that a 'one-bag-matches-all-and-none'
could be made with many different colours of fabric. If you had
smallish pieces of many colours, it wouldn't clash with any! (How about
that from me!!!!)
..
In message , Leslie & The Furbabies
in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 7th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

This probably a good place to ask for such a poll, Leslie, because there are
just so many lifestyles here. That said, the very notion of using solid
black, brown and navy just bores my socks off. I vote for making the
handbags 'happy'. They don't have to match anything - they just need to
make the owner pleased to use them in both how they function and how they
look. Here in the Swamp, it would be just fine with everybody if I carried
a plastic Wal-Mart produce bag. I'm very fond of lovely handbags and am
even willing to swap to one for an event - but just for general life, the
bag I use most is red. It hasn't matched anything yet but I do indeed enjoy
it. Polly
P.S. as to Missy and Prednisone - we kept our precious Sweet Pea alive and
quite comfortable for 7 years on that stuff. Giving it to him was always
quite a production and we knew it had side effects but it kept our kitty in
good shape for lots of love.

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote Okay. I'm working on the design

Old October 7th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Great questions, Leslie!
I love, love, LOVE handbags..... and I have to admit, I purchase them
rather compulsively. I carry whatever suits me, and I don't really give
a rip if it "matches" what I happen to wearing.
Odds are, most women will have the "basics" - black, brown, navy. I vote
for the "fun" bags that you couldn't really find anywhere else, and that
make them unique to the person that's carrying them. If I was shopping
at a bazaar, etc, that's what I'd be drawn to. You can find a "basic"
bag anywhere. Fun, little, "one-of-a-kind" bags are much more difficult
to find, especially in a small town. Good luck!

Patti in Seattle

Old October 7th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
[...]

First of all, Leslie, I'm so glad to hear about Missy! It's such a
relief to know that she's feeling a little better.

As for the purses, when you say that the people near you wear "casual"
clothes, what colors are included in that? If they're wearing
jeans/slacks and simple tops, almost anything in a purse will work well,
and I'd be inclined to guess that something fun and/or wild would be a
treat. I'm sort of conservative myself, so I go for plain bags for my
own wardrobe, but I do enjoy having one or two in fun colors "just
because". G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old October 7th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

To clarify- those who know me well know that I do NOT own one single piece
of solid colored fabric- except for my Kona black- solids just are not 'me'.
The solid black handbag, for example, might have a quilted feather motif in
a bright variegated thread to spice it up a bit without saying 'this can
only be worn with a xxxxx color outfit. I couldn't possibly make anything
that was dull and boring! VBG

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

In article ,

Old October 7th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I agree with Polly. A local woman has turned bag making into quite an
industry around here...well, nationally actually.
http://www.bagolitas.com/collection.cfm Everytime I see one of these
bags, I just have to smile. They often don't match the owner's outfit of
the day, but I've never been bothered by it. I have a fairly sedate one in
brown, golds and black. If you click on the fabric in her "collection" you
can see the different styles she's making at the moment. They change often.
I think the ones for walkers are just brilliant. Why do we think our sassy,
classy older women give up their style when they need assistance? They
aren't inexpensive, but my point is they are rather wild yet very
successful. And I'm also in the Midwest, medium sized town.
I'm so glad Missy is doing a bit better. I hope her days are happy
ones....yours too for that matter.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old October 7th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I agree with Polly that solid black would just be too boring & you can pick
up a solid black bag anywhere. Plus, do you think people would be drawn to
buy the black fabric bags? If you wanted to tone it down a bit, how about a
tone on town black or a black background with lots of colors on the print,
so it could go with "most" things. (Of course, brown seems to be the new
black now, so maybe looking in the brown family you might come up with
something fun.) Personally, if I'm purchasing a leather bag, I usually get
something that will coordinate with most outfits & isn't too trendy. But,
if I'm making or even purchasing a fun fabric bag, there are no limits to
color or pattern for me.

I'm so glad Missy is responding to the prednisone. Good girl Missy. Sounds
like she still has some loving to do

Pauline
Northern California
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
To clarify- those who know me well know that I do NOT own one single piece
of solid colored fabric- except for my Kona black- solids just are not
'me'. The solid black handbag, for example, might have a quilted feather
motif in a bright variegated thread to spice it up a bit without saying
'this can only be worn with a xxxxx color outfit. I couldn't possibly
make anything that was dull and boring! VBG

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

In article ,

Old October 7th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I'm thinking a basic neutral bag with basic neutral (thin) lining, plus a
button-in lining with maybe zippers and pockets and such, made of exciting
fabric. Then a customer could choose whatever combination pleased her. Buy a
couple of different ones for different moods. And the lining could go into
the laundry.
Roberta in D

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old October 7th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You've got a really good point there, Patti!
(about having the basic, and being drawn to buy 'fun')
..
In message , Patti S
writes
Great questions, Leslie!
I love, love, LOVE handbags..... and I have to admit, I purchase them
rather compulsively. I carry whatever suits me, and I don't really give
a rip if it "matches" what I happen to wearing.
Odds are, most women will have the "basics" - black, brown, navy. I vote
for the "fun" bags that you couldn't really find anywhere else, and that
make them unique to the person that's carrying them. If I was shopping
at a bazaar, etc, that's what I'd be drawn to. You can find a "basic"
bag anywhere. Fun, little, "one-of-a-kind" bags are much more difficult
to find, especially in a small town. Good luck!

Patti in Seattle

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

OT Need good thoughts for my Missy girl Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 21 October 6th 07 07:22 PM
beautiful handbags ryhuj Quilting 0 September 7th 07 06:24 AM
Anyone design handbags? Cheryl Isaak Marketplace 1 August 24th 05 04:32 PM
Neat handbags Christina Peterson Beads 3 March 15th 04 07:54 PM
Making handbags Sakamoto Sewing 3 February 4th 04 07:37 PM