OT. Now I am really down in the dumps

Old June 24th 04, 05:03 AM
Cheryl

the best thing about it is that it can be used in regular
recipes with the same results as sugar.?

yep -- I baked a cherry pie with it two weeks ago...
ymmmmmm
- note - it does not make quite the same "syrup" in the pie -- does not seem to
"melt" like regular sugar does....
but it tasted good anyway....

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old June 24th 04, 07:04 AM
Shirley Shone

Yes we do have Splenda. I saw it yesterday but bought Canderel instead.
Doh!
It is very rare that I need a sweetener. I do not have sugar in drinks.
Dh does not either. Infact we do not have a sugar bowl on the table. I
think the only time we use sugar is the small amount that DH puts in the
bread maker.
I like to make muffins on occasions but I use oil instead of butter. So
now it will be Canderel instead of sugar.

Thanks for your reply
Shirley

In message , Marisa2
writes
Shirley,

DH said that his most successful sugar-free attempts have been with
Splenda. Do you have that there? It is relatively new so you might
have to look. It is a sugar substitute that can be used more or less
cup-for-cup in place of sugar. Stevia, a herbal sugar replacement, is
a liquid; you only need a drop or two to replace a lot of sugar, which
is unfortunate for baking (have to substitute for the bulk of the
sugar). We won't use nutra-sweet or the other older sugar substitutes
because they may cause cancer in the long run (and don't taste like
sugar anyhow).

I will get him to write up whatever else he has.

Most of his baking modifications have been for me, diary-free and
egg-free. Would be happy to share those too if anyone needs them

marisa2

Shirley Shone wrote:

Yes I would like the recipes very much. Thanks
Shirley
In message om,
Marisa2 writes

I just realized that was kind of a dumb remark... I'm sorry.

Actually my mother (who can't eat sugar and a whole bunch of other
things because of her alergies and other problems ) has pretty much
changed the way she eats altogether and now really likes eating other
types of foods.
Of course baked goods are the ones that she sometimes craves. Since
she can't eat wheat or dairy either it is a challenge. DH has been
inventing recipees that she can eat... if you're interested I can
send you a few.

marisa2

Marisa2 wrote:

Shirley,
So sorry to hear that.
There are some better sugar-substitutes out now...
marisa2
Shirley Shone wrote:

If my bad news last week was not enough I am facing another issue.
I have been diagnosed as I diabetic. Got the testing kit but not
shirt.

I feel really dumped on. The weather is in key with me because it
is bucketing down.
Shirley

--
Shirley Shone

Old June 24th 04, 08:44 AM
Marisa Cappetta

(((Shirley))) UK weather is in the news here, it looks awful. I'm sorry to
hear about your health woes. I'm thinking of you my dear.
Marisa AU/NZ

in article , Shirley Shone at
wrote on 23/6/04 10:38 PM:

If my bad news last week was not enough I am facing another issue.
I have been diagnosed as I diabetic. Got the testing kit but not the

Old June 24th 04, 10:08 AM
Kalera Stratton

Oh Shirley, you poor thing! Well, on the good side, it means that
something that's probably been making you feel terrible can be
*treated*! Diabetes is a pain in the tuchus, but my ex husband and two
of my friends have it, and once you get used to it your life can be
normal and healthy. Probably a lot more normal and healthy than you've
been feeling with it gone untreated.

I hope you feel better soon, and get some GOOD news for a change.

Hugs,

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old June 24th 04, 10:43 AM
Arondelle

Shirley Shone wrote:
Yes we do have Splenda. I saw it yesterday but bought Canderel instead.
Doh!
It is very rare that I need a sweetener. I do not have sugar in drinks.
Dh does not either. Infact we do not have a sugar bowl on the table. I
think the only time we use sugar is the small amount that DH puts in the
bread maker.
I like to make muffins on occasions but I use oil instead of butter. So
now it will be Canderel instead of sugar.

I'm a Splenda lover, too.

However, there are no sugar substitutes that will work in a bread maker,
or in any recipe requiring yeast. Yeasties are definitely not diabetic,
and need real sugar to get active. )

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net
Shop eBay with me: http://snipurl.com/3usr
Visit Arondelle's Dream Worlds at: http://www.arondelle.com
Read my Blog: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/arondelle/index.html

Old June 24th 04, 11:19 AM
Kalera Stratton

LOL I saw that too, and I almost *heard* it in an English accent too!
Way too cute.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

heh. Shirley said "Doh" heh.

Old June 24th 04, 11:35 AM
Shirley Shone

That's not the only thing I can say. LOL I was brought up in a mining
area and there a lot more pithy words I could say if I was not a lady.
Ahem.

One I bring to mind was from a neighbour who was big chapel man and also
a miner.
When he wanted to swear he used to say. It is a shicker.
Shirley

In message , Candace
writes
heh. Shirley said "Doh" heh.

Old June 24th 04, 11:42 AM
Shirley Shone

Thanks Marisa.
One would think it November here today. The wind has been howling all
night and rattling TV aerials on the chimneys. We keep getting heavy
showers of rain. It is not fit to turn a dog out at times.

It has completely ruined my patch of poppies in the garden.

Shirley

In message , Marisa Cappetta
writes

Old June 24th 04, 05:22 PM
Kalera Stratton

LOL! I have the hardest time imagining you swearing, but considering
that you do everything else well, I bet you have an excellent cuss word
vocabulary as well!

(I like "shicker". It sounds horrible enough to be a satisfying curse
word without offending anyone.)

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay