Tabletop finish

Old November 14th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

Default Tabletop finish

"michele" wrote in message
i don't use nails, just push pins on straight edges so they are perfect w/
drywall, and a full sheet is wrapped on the edges so no chalky
aftertaste???? m

"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 13, 2:19 pm, Michael wrote:
Michele wrote:

you might lay a piece of sheetrock on top. it makes a great cutting
surface and soaks up all those liquids. It also is impervious to the
soldering heat.

***************
Thank you for the suggestion, Michele. That is a great idea. The
owner of Southern Glass down in Jacksonville recommended that, too,
but I had associated it pretty much with assembling came panels, and
didn't have it figured as a full-service top. I'm going to raise the
floor about a half-inch with something easy to stand on. That means
the drywall on top would maintain the relative bench height.

Michael

Me, personally..I don't like drywall. Chalk gets all over the place
and you must tape the edges to try and keep them from just crumbling
apart. I never like the way the nails held in dryall either. Particle
board takes lots of abuse. Most work boards I have are almost 15 years
old. Plus, it's alot more sturdy to transport panels.

BTW...Larry the Cable Guy just became a father. Baby girl. Said to
look just like Phil Collins. Weighed in at 6 lbs 14 oz which is just
two pounds under what Nichole Richie weighed last week.

In traveling from studio to studio doing,work to assist others, I have found
that there are so many ways to do the same thing, differently. Everyone is
convinced that their way is the best. and it is, for them. I try them all,
even methods of doing things that feel so foreign that I know it won't work
for me.
But I give it an honest try.
Then I go back to doing things the way in which I am most comfortable, and
therefore most productive.

I don't care for wallboard, crumbles too easily for me and makes a mess.
Not much for particle board for the same reason, no long term results.

I don't build windows directly on the table, I have a board, 3/4" plywood,
b/c grade, good one side? and I cut it to fit the project I am working on.
as they wear, over time, I cut them smaller for smaller projects and the big
stuff gets new wood. I use glazing nails, and horseshoe nails both, but
have taken the "6 city horseshoe nail lately. It likes the plywood and
doesn't leave particles everywhere, and if I spill my small flux jar, I just
wipe it up and it is not absorbed by the particles.

To each their own, and to the original poster, Michael, leaning against the
wall, at the end of the table that was to the rear of the room, over by the
closet? You didn't notice all of them there?

Old November 14th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Javahut"

wrote in message leaning against the
wall, at the end of the table that was to the rear of the room, over by
the
closet? You didn't notice all of them there?

They are "supposed" to be on the work tables with windows being made on
them, not leaning on the wall. Didn't I teach you better than that?

You fricking part-time basement bandit, you.

Old November 14th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

" Moonraker" wrote in message

"Javahut"

wrote in message leaning against the
wall, at the end of the table that was to the rear of the room, over by
the
closet? You didn't notice all of them there?

They are "supposed" to be on the work tables with windows being made on
them, not leaning on the wall. Didn't I teach you better than that?

You fricking part-time basement bandit, you.

OOPS, guess I better go out and knock folks in the head and tell them how
bad they need my stuff.

Michigan economy sucks!! My new mantra, right after I adapt....LOL

Old November 15th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Javahut wrote:

To each their own, and to the original poster, Michael, leaning
against the wall, at the end of the table that was to the rear of the
room, over by the closet? You didn't notice all of them there?

*****************
I was looking at everything all the time, Javahut. All the beautiful
lamps and windows, elaborate grinding and polishing machines, original
Tiffany pieces, kiln and casting equipment, antique cash register
about the size of my Honda Civic Station Wagon, and tons of glass.
The boards must have been hiding behind some glass.

Thanks for taking your whole day to answer a newbie's questions, and
for all the cool stuff you sent home with me.

And hey! Let me spam the group one last time with a photo of my first
lamp perched up on it's base and sitting in the corner of our living
room. Thanks to Javahut for all the advice on getting the deed done.
It was an absolute pleasure.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ip_smaller.jpg

Michael
Old November 15th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

"Michael" wrote in message
Javahut wrote:

[...]

Excellent first venture with the Tulip, and it was nice having you here,
(look forward to seeing you again) the enthusiasm of someone so eager to
learn is also of benefit to those of us that may have gotten a bit "stale"
about the craft. It does everyone good. I would still rather win the
lottery and retire, but then if you can't do that, this is the next best
thing...

Old November 15th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jman

On Nov 14, 7:24 pm, Michael wrote:
Javahut wrote:

[...]

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ion=view&curre...

Michael

Nice looking lamp there Michael !

(I wish I had that kind of patience...)

/FC
Old November 15th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

And hey! Let me spam the group one last time with a photo of my first
lamp perched up on it's base and sitting in the corner of our living
room. Thanks to Javahut for all the advice on getting the deed done.
It was an absolute pleasure.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ion=view&curre...

Michael

Nice looking lamp there Michael !

(I wish I had that kind of patience...)

/FC

You do have that kind of patience, you just don't know it.

DO NOT count pieces, just decide that is what you want to build and work on
it a little every day. Don't press it if you are tired and want to quit,
but also don't let a day go by without doing something on it, even if it
means only cutting one piece of glass. Keep a picture nearby of what it
looks like finished, or one nearly like it, that will serve to keep you
focused on WHAT you want to achieve. Before you realize it, your done.

Old November 16th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
howard

Michael wrote:
Javahut wrote:

[...]

USING HANDMADE GLASS, Odyssey and 3/16 foil whenever/whenever possible
makes a big difference

try it on your next project!

only have made about 1,000 shades with about 200 of them Odysseys!

only stuck with about 3 of them in my house.........

howard

Old November 16th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
JKGlassman

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've built several benches to do stained glass on. They aren't
anything fancy, just built out of 2x4s and plywood. The work surfaces
are 3/4" finish plywood. Before they get soaked in flux, sweat, and
beer, is there a good finish to use for wood surfaces used for stained
glass work? I'm sorta thinking that it's best left unfinished, but if
there is a good finish, now's the time.

Thanks, Michael

I never worked on wood.... always homosote.

--
JK Sinrod
http://www.sinrodstudios.com

Another finish is up Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 March 5th 07 02:25 PM
Kudos to Tabletop Studio! Kalera Beads 3 September 4th 06 12:48 PM
A Finish! Shannon Needlework 1 August 28th 05 11:25 AM
Good haul at tabletop sale today! Pat P Needlework 0 May 8th 04 10:26 PM
I can finish it now! Lindroos Quilting 0 October 26th 03 03:39 AM