Corinabeads and challenges

Old September 3rd 04, 09:02 AM
Kandice Seeber

Holy F***!!! Here, we pay $1300/mo. for a 1500 square foot 2 bedroom
without a garage! And that's low, because we are out in the hills! In the
suburbs of Seattle, a house like mine would rent for upwards of $2000 per
month. Of course, in Portland, the housing is a little lower because the
wages aren't as high. I was in shock when I came here from Oregon 2 years
ago. I can't imagine getting a big house for $400 per month. Wow.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Even rentals here are amazing--for example, my own home--$350 (plus $35 a
month for the land care, cause we have no lawn equipment) for a 3 bedroom,

1
bath, Big kitchen, full sized laundryroom and attached mud room.

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
Wow! Where do you *live*?? That would barely be a down payment for a 4
bedroom here in Washington.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

F*CK! I could buy a 4 bedrom house here for $20,000!

*sigh* sorry.

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
You know what I think? (Otherwise known as "Who cares -- shhh!")

I think that money is a sliding scale thing. $1000 would be a

teensy
drop
in
the bucket to me if our household income were ten times what it now

is.
It
would be one big shrug.

$1000 is *nothing* to pay for a pair of shoes, for instance, to some
women.
(To use an item we've been talking about in other threads....SHOES.)

They
*collect* Manolos. Some women think nothing of spending $20,000 for

DRESS.
So, maybe the buyer of Corina's set of beads -- and her bidding-war
partner
there -- have lots of money. Simply put.

It's all relative. (And I no longer think it's insane.)
~~
Sooz

Old September 3rd 04, 09:04 AM
Kandice Seeber

No - it made her angry. Read her chat - people did say that and she was
offended by it. And I don't blame her. Just because her art is popular
doesn't mean there is a cult. Not attacking you, Lori - just ticked off at
the idea that people can call the admiration of art a cult.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Yes there is a cult around Corina that I'm hard pressed to
understand but don't we all kinda want the same thing?

Hee hee. A Corina cult. I'm sure she'd get a kick out of that.

I think it's called charisma.

--
--------------------------------------
Lori Greenberg

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...origre enberg

Old September 3rd 04, 09:06 AM
Kandice Seeber

No.....she wrote about it on her website. She was reading a German
beadmaker's forum, and they were trashing her there - which is stupid,
because Corina is German and knows some of those people.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I just hope everyone can remember that Corina is a person and she sees

all
of this and has feelings about it. People should read the chats on her
website, because there are some people really trash talking her, and

it's
really uncalled-for. (Not here, of course, we're pretty good about
respecting people for the most part)
Here's her page, the chat is Wednesday:
http://www.corinabeads.com/

They're trashing Corina _on her own web site?_ Wow, that takes
cojones.

These are some people who should thank God that they don't have my
mother around to teach them manners. You don't go into someone's
home and criticize them (web site, home, same concept).
Unbelievable.
I don't know Corina, but I respect her ability, and am glad that
she's gotten some more people to think of lampwork as art. I still
think that the price she got for those beads will prove to be
irretreivable by the buyer, but hey, more power to her.

Kathy N-V

Old September 3rd 04, 09:31 AM
Su/Cutworks

Fran wrote:

That's how I see it. The market for mainstream artisan
lampwork beads is currently capped at a thou! That
benefits every beadmaker/beadseller out there (in varying
degrees, of course, but it's a positive nonetheless). Yay
for us!

Yep. The higher the bar is raised the more beadmakers out there have a
chance at getting a higher price even at the mid-range or lower end of the
market. It helps everyone except us poor bead buyers. :-)

-Su

Old September 3rd 04, 09:31 AM
Su/Cutworks

Tina wrote:

You know, I really hate that word, "collectible", as well as the concept.
It really kind of means that the value is in the *resale*, and not the

item
itself, not in the worthiness of the art.

Yes! I think it's one of those sort of situations where people invest in an
intangible simply because someone else tells them it will be worth more.
They don't buy it because they like the item but merely for a chance to
resell it for a profit. That's great, making a profit on something, I have
no problem with profits, but it muddies up the issue of art for art's sake
too.

In that context, I'd much rather pay $1,000 for beads for the art value,

and
their value as good material for other art work, than pay $200 for a doll
because someone else might take it off my hands for a comparable value.

I was fortunate that the doll I made was for the fun of making it, and the
lady who bought it would never sell it as she bought it because she loved
the way I did the work. I would feel the same way about making beads, that
the biggest thing is doing it because I like it. Of course there's an
aspect of creating something to sell it but that is not the same as creating
something simply for the "collector's" market. There's something pretty
soulless to me about all those thousands and thousands of exactly-alike
dolls or statues or chess sets or whatever that sit and gather dust while
someone waits for them to rise in price.

I'd rather be an artist than a producer of 'collectibles' any day.

-Su

Old September 3rd 04, 09:31 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kalera wrote:

You are too stalking me! I'm gonna cry!

Make her give you beads to apologize!

-Su

Old September 3rd 04, 09:51 AM
~Candace~

Our house also sits on about 2 acres of land.
Plus, the lot next to us is all green grass and OLD huge trees, and we have
free run of it. Our landlord owns this entire block

Old September 3rd 04, 02:50 PM
Karin Cernik

"IN" Bawlmer would be the critical phrase here.... :-) My guess would
be it's not in the newly gentrified areas of the city, and it may be a
while before it's inhabitable, let alone a safe neighborhood. But those
reclamation projects have to start somewhere.

Karin

Kalera Stratton wrote:

My friend Michael is looking at a 4-bedroom brick home in Baltimore
that's up for sale for $18,000.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kaytee wrote:
In article , "~Candace~"
writes:

I could buy a 4 bedrom house here for $20,000!

Where is that? India?

$20K won't even add a room to an existing house, here. And may not even be
enough to remodel the kitchen.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old September 3rd 04, 03:22 PM
Lori Greenberg

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
No - it made her angry. Read her chat - people did say that and she was
offended by it. And I don't blame her. Just because her art is popular
doesn't mean there is a cult. Not attacking you, Lori - just ticked off at
the idea that people can call the admiration of art a cult.

I'm not taking it personally because I'm not the person that said it. I
chuckled at the fact that someone thinks that. It's probably a word that
shouldn't be thrown around lightly though, given what it really means.

--
--------------------------------------

Old September 3rd 04, 03:49 PM
Lori Greenberg

Ok, I just went and read it. Lots of others have said it but I haven't
yet...that is just sad. In usual fashion, as Fran said, it shows more about
the person saying it than the person it's being said about. I don't usually
comment about what other people are saying (or do i?) but when I read how it
affected the person directly, that makes me sad to see someone
hurt....anyone!

It does make me happy to see a 'patriotic' sense of this country though and
our strengths being shown, given what was recently shown in a chat as our
weaknesses. Ahhhh, I love the internet.
--
Lori Greenberg
www.beadnerd.com