Very OT - Fahrenheit 9/11

Old July 8th 04, 06:21 AM
Kalera Stratton

Yeah, most places in Cali that amount of money is basically a death knell.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]In Portland $15K a year would get you **** and shoved in it, to use a
]colorful expression. You can make it work if you have roommates, which
]becomes much harder if you have kids.

i make LESS than that every year.
in California.
so now you know why i don't have health coverage, etc, etc, etc.

my 'indulgence' is my internet connection.
everything else is being cut back severely.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Old July 8th 04, 06:35 AM
Kalera Stratton

I can hardly wait to see it! I think that silversmithing will be a new
career for you, and will give you a new lease on life... literally, from
the sounds of things. I hope you can stay ahead of your health issues
enough to get good care in time to stop them from doing you in.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]Yeah, most places in Cali that amount of money is basically a death knell.

no kidding!!!!
it may be for me, eventually.
literally.
years of neglecting my health [for several reasons] will make my end
sooner rather than later.
if i can just get through this apprenticeship, i might have a chance,
at least!

and just wait 'til you see what i'm doing with your cab!

-----------

Old July 8th 04, 06:37 AM
Kalera Stratton

OK, gotcha!

I need more sleep.

NO, I am NOT going to bed now! I also need "me time" now that the kids
are asleep, or I will end up eating my young.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]'cause I'm saying that in my case, computers are what prevent me from
]being isolated.

i thought i was saying that in my case, that is true also.
however, i can understand how it could go the other way for some.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]

Old July 8th 04, 05:34 PM
Turtlelover

Kalera Stratton wrote:

There is this notion, rampant among our society, that every human has
the right to MAKE A BELL RING in any other human's house, WHETHER THEY
ARE ACQUAINTED OR NOT, and that furthermore, the ringee has a social
obligation to trot over and pick up the phone, and offer the ringer some
kind of chitchat.

snip

I also find it amazing that we are expected by our creditors or business
contacts to "opt out" if we don't want our contact information scattered
to the four winds.

Look, they're probably going to make money by selling/dispersing our
information. Rather presumptuous of them to believe that we would
actually *want* to receive offers that will only part us from our
hard-earned money, unless we tell them otherwise.

Wouldn't it would be easier (and wouldn't there be less recordkeeping
for them) if we had to "opt in" to get their mailings? If they don't
have my info, they can't accidentally contact me or disperse my info.
Nah, that makes too much sense.

This is the same type of situation as the so-called "Do Not Call" List.
And don't even get me *started* on book-of-the-month clubs!

::sigh::

Turtlelover

Old July 8th 04, 07:31 PM
Dr. Sooz

'cause I'm saying that in my case, computers are what prevent me from
being isolated.

-Kalera

Me too. I find it terribly daunting to get out and about much of the time. I
need the human contact computers give me to maintain any semblance of a social
life.
~~
Sooz
Old July 8th 04, 10:16 PM
Su/Cutworks

Sooz wrote:

Me too. I find it terribly daunting to get out and about much of the

time. I
need the human contact computers give me to maintain any semblance of a

social
life.

Me three. It's why I like living on a boat, I can go somewhere without
leaving the house.

-Su

Old July 9th 04, 04:30 AM
Cheryl

I just want heaven to have a bead store.
Roxan

and benches for lampworkers to play at....

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old July 9th 04, 04:32 AM
Cheryl

one
is being accused of murder of an unborn fetus while the government
permits abortion

Most fetal death laws require that the fetus be past the "viable"
stage...(capable of possible survival outside the womb.. ie third trimester).
Most abortions are limited to the "pre-viable" stages..(first two trimesters
max... except where an absolute threat to life of the mother is involved).

That's why there is a difference....

Old July 9th 04, 04:53 AM
Cheryl

Regarding women damaging their own bodies, one of the arguments at the time
of Roe vs Wade, was that women, especially if poor, were at terrible risk
(even of death) from unprofessional abortions.

very true- and NOT just the poor ones.
My mother's sorority sister died in the mid 50's....
not from an ILLEGAL abortion - but because she got pregnant, then miscarried...
when she got to the hospital - they thought she had been to an abortionist...
and didn't do a D&C in a timely manner because she was a "bad" girl... and she
bled to death
wasn't that NICE....
She was buried in her white sorority pledge dress....
my mother STILL remembers her to this day - and said that the loss was so
stupid - but because why?
Because MEN doctor's (few women back then) made a decision based on their
opinion of the girl - not on medical FACT.

Old July 9th 04, 05:25 AM
Michael Curtis

That has always been a thought in the back of my mind too, that perhaps I am
calling at a bad time, etc. Thing is tho, the person on the other end of the
line does not have an obligation to pick up the phone. Ever. :-)
Anyway, logic, such as the above, has never made it easier for me to make
phone calls. Not giving myself time to think about making the call helps.
Then I cant fret about all the what ifs, (what if this is a bad time, what
if I get the answering machine, what if I dont know what to say and sound
like an idiot.).
You sound perfectly normal to me. :-)
Diana

"Arondelle" wrote in message
The anonymity of email is not it's only benefit, though.

If you phone someone, maybe she won't be home or have an answering
machine (another issue for the phone-a-phobe), or not have time, or be
in the middle of doing something, or whatever else you can think of that
would make a phone call an intrusion. Not everyone is sitting around
waiting breathlessly for your phone call, even if they would be
delighted to talk to you.

An email sits and waits patiently in the recipient's inbox until the the
recipient has time to read and answer it at their leisure. This, of
course, is frustrating to the person who needs an answer RIGHT NOW!
However, unless it's an emergency, like you're bleeding to death on the
sidewalk or something, I can't think of a situation that *requires* one
to intrude. Waiting for a while for an answer shouldn't be that big a
deal. The world isn't going to come to an end.

I have a friend who does not have an internet connection, and therefor,
no email. She has a cell phone (let's not go there, eh?) and every
conceivable phone service. I can't count the number of times I've been
blipped in the middle of a conversation by an incoming call on her
call-waiting. Quite frankly, as much as I love talking to her, I'd
rather email her....

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net