Very OT - Fahrenheit 9/11

Old July 6th 04, 04:18 PM
mjoann

Candace wrote:

What I get from this is very simple. You don't think you would qualify for any
of many programs designed to HELP--so you resent the people who have taken the
initiative to make use of those programs. I'm sorry, did someone mention
taking control?

Because it is absurd. Why should anyone be responsible for others? I
don't ask anyone to be responsible for me.

But this:

If it was up to me, and I didn't need it so much, my tax money would go
towards preserving the things that people destroy. I would love to give
my money to save historical buildings, preserve natural areas, save
wildlife, stop killing in animal shelters, etc.; things that would undo
human destruction.

To sum my question and your answer: You would rather see your money save an
old building than feed someone who wouldn't eat otherwise.

Humans are destructive and abusive; I would much rather undo their
damage. I'll melt for an animal that a person has discarded or for
wildlife forced from its home, but I do not want to pay for others to
overpopulate and continuing destroying the earth.

Old July 6th 04, 05:01 PM
Kaytee

In article , mjoann
writes:

So many times, if people would stop trying to get aid, and would just
take control of their situations, there wouldn't be a problem.
Disability is one thing, but I am absolutely sickened by a healthy
person who wont work.

Some people getting welfare DO work. My brother (#2) and his family are--
actually, my brother himself isn't, because he happens to be in a desert on the
other side of the world at the moment, but before he left, he was working full
time, and his wife was working for pay part time, and working part time as part
of a babysitting co-op to "pay" for child care. They still qualified for WIC
and Medi-Cal for the kids. No health insurance for my brother or his wife....

Which is why he's where he's at-- a choice on his part, but not one his wife
agreed with. Although, your tax dollars are STILL supporting him....
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old July 6th 04, 07:45 PM
Dr. Sooz

OK. I'm already depressed, and, as if no one has noticed, I've spent
altogether too much time sitting in front of the computer posting to
newsgroups in the past few days. (Hint: The Professor has lost his job
again and we're back to the Welfare office. I want to scream.)

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ARONDELLE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ARONDELLE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ARONDELLE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}
~~
Sooz
Old July 6th 04, 07:46 PM
Dr. Sooz

then you follow it
with the not so generous statement: "It's not all about you" ?).

I bet she wouldn't have if she weren't feeling so very low. I'm hugging BOTH
of you ~~~~~~~~
~~
Sooz
Old July 6th 04, 07:48 PM
Dr. Sooz

And the phone hurts my neck. Something I consider always when talking on the
(Satan's spawn!) phone.....Really good points, BTW, Diana dearest.

Im not trying to be argumentative, but phone avoidance is not weird, its
often a symptom of social phobia. Im going to guess that it isnt just social
phobics who avoid using the phone but I have met (and have been) one of many
I have met online who much prefer email to phone conversations. My theory is
that while email takes away 2/3 of the communication which happens face to
face its anonymity is more comfortable than using the phone, which
eliminates just the visual clues which help us *read* another person's
feelings. For me, this is a very uncomfortable situation.
Diana

~~
Sooz
Old July 6th 04, 07:49 PM
Dr. Sooz

Yes, exactly! I've always found the phone to be invasive. Emails are not,
because it's at your convenience and not an imposition.

No, I don't find EVERYTHING an imposition. Just stuff done by unfeeling
boors.....

If you phone someone, maybe she won't be home or have an answering
machine (another issue for the phone-a-phobe), or not have time, or be
in the middle of doing something, or whatever else you can think of that
would make a phone call an intrusion. Not everyone is sitting around
waiting breathlessly for your phone call, even if they would be
delighted to talk to you.

~~
Sooz
Old July 6th 04, 08:01 PM
Dr. Sooz

I have a friend who does not have an internet connection, and therefor,
no email. She has a cell phone (let's not go there, eh?) and every
conceivable phone service. I can't count the number of times I've been
blipped in the middle of a conversation by an incoming call on her
call-waiting. Quite frankly, as much as I love talking to her, I'd
rather email her....

My sister has email. She hates it, because her husband loves his email, and
she's jealous. Don't get me wrong -- he's attentive and involved with her.
She just wants, wants, wants.

When I was planning my wedding to Kevin, she was my maid of honor, but she
refused to read any emails I sent her. I said I wasn't going to be phoning her
-- it hurts my neck (I have a really bad pinched nerve). She wouldn't even
*answer* that, and it was face-to-face!

So one of the reasons we eloped was my sister and her email jealousy. I NEEDED
help from a maid of honor. But I couldn't get it.
~~
Sooz
Old July 6th 04, 08:03 PM
Dr. Sooz

Righteous! But that Fostering Crap would cost money, and god knows Republicans
are all about saving money and putting it in THEIR pockets. You know --
self-interest.

Abortion offends THEM. So they're working their tails off to make it illegal.

You know, a fostering program *would* make a difference. A pro-life
organization that stopped trying to outlaw abortion and instead focused
its resources on creating a fostering program for young women who lack
the resources... emotional and material... to bear a child. Creating a
supportive family for a young woman in a rough spot could be the one
thing she needed to both keep the child and move forward with her
education and her life. A program where foster families comitted to five
years... pregnancy, postpartum, plus enough time to get a college
education... would make a huge difference.

If these organizations set up scholarships for women who choose to enter
the fostering program, you could not only prevent an abortion but also
give a woman and her child a completely positive start on life and break
the cycle of poverty and unplanned pregnancy for that family.

-Kalera

~~
Sooz
Old July 6th 04, 08:03 PM
Dr. Sooz

By the way, I am pro-life, and also Pro-Choice. I am not for abortion, I am
against its criminalization.

RIGHTEOUS!! You go, woman!!
~~
Sooz
Old July 6th 04, 08:04 PM
Dr. Sooz

How the heck do you get those crazy ideas out of my comment?

I can easily see how. For someone so precious about your Mensa membership,
you're pretty dense, Mjoann.
~~
Sooz