Need source for natural bristle "patina" brush

Old March 30th 05, 04:32 PM
Sundog

You might try my own 'secret weapon'..... I took a Makita palm sander, one
of those that vibrates like h*ll.... and screwed a large natural bristle
scrub brush to the baseplate years ago to use for cleaning up after
cementing panels. It'll make your hand go numb if you use it too long... and
I'm really not sure it is any improvement over just using my arm. Every now
and then I still use it ... but last night I just did it by hand... again.
Thought I'd mention it since it seemed a related tool ... although I'm
talking cement process, not patina. Either method does leave a nice
'natural' patina, whose permanence is a matter of opinion.

But where does one reliably purchase such natural bristle scrubs in this day
and age of synthetic garbage that so enhances our lives?

cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

"Moonraker" wrote in message
You will be disappointed. The brush in question, when mounted on an
electric drill, does a poor job because of the angle you have to hold the
brush at. You can't reach out into the middle of a window and get enough
pressure on the brush.

On the other hand, I know of "someone" who has developed a tampico

bristle
brush mounted on an arbor to fit a slow-speed sander/polisher. This

brush
enables a studio to do in a couple of hours what would have taken a whole
day to burnish.

"Plastic Sturgeon" wrote in message
nk.net...
I am searching for a supplier who sells natural bristle brushes that you

can
put on your drill head and use them to make that lovely black "patina"

you
can get when you brush lead for a long time.

Old March 30th 05, 07:22 PM
Javahut

"Plastic Sturgeon" wrote in message
nk.net...
I am searching for a supplier who sells natural bristle brushes that you

can
put on your drill head and use them to make that lovely black "patina" you
can get when you brush lead for a long time.

This took more than I thought it would to find them. Do you want or care
for the story? Used to be from TOC,( gone out of biz or bought by someone)
then Rubbermaid,(bought/merged with Newell and discontinued part) and now I
find them by Weiler and that is where you search for someone near you part
number 44023, I found them in MI at Hubbard Supply.

Look under Quickie Manufacturing.

Old March 31st 05, 06:57 AM
Glassman

"Sundog" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Sometimes I get lucky and find them at a $1 store, and I buy the entire
case of them! One year as I was running out, I actually chopped them in 1/2
with a mitre saw!

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old March 31st 05, 05:54 PM
Michele Blank

i don't suppose fuller brush company still exists? I have a natural bristle
brush i use that was originally a shoe-shine brush. Horse hair. Might be a
way to find such an animal m

"Glassman" wrote in message

nk.net...

Old March 31st 05, 06:54 PM
Charles Spitzer

http://www.fullerdirect.com/products.asp
http://www.fullerbrush.info/pages/1/index.htm

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
i don't suppose fuller brush company still exists? I have a natural bristle
brush i use that was originally a shoe-shine brush. Horse hair. Might be a
way to find such an animal m

"Glassman" wrote in message

nk.net...

Old March 31st 05, 11:37 PM
Plastic Sturgeon

Thanks to all. Now I'm sorting thsi info, but I'm much further along.
Googleing "tampico" brushes has helped a lot. And thanks also for the
buffer/grinder tip. Seems like abetter tool for the job!

Old April 2nd 05, 01:38 PM
db

Tampico is a plant fiber, not a bristle, strictly speaking. Same plant as
they make tequila from, so it can't be all bad. I use a 3 1/2" natural hog
bristle brush on a flex tool at a medium-slow speed. It does a beautiful job
on lead. The Rio Grande part number of the brush is 336457. Problem is you
have to buy a twelve-pack of the brushes for 20$. Unless you know some
sucker who has eleven of them he's not using at the moment.

Old April 2nd 05, 06:21 PM
db

I guess it depends how many lead lines there are. It doesn't take long, but
it didn't take that long when I did it with a hand brush either. The
polishing doesn't take me as long as picking out the putty boogers.

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

How long does it take you to polish a 4-0 x 4-0 bath window on both sides?