Shop Tools...

Old July 11th 04, 11:32 PM
Moonraker

Default Shop Tools...

I was looking through a Harbor Freight flier this morning. They have a
couple of items on sale that may be of interest to you glassers.

www.harborfreight.com

First, a mini cut-off saw. Lot 42307. This comes with a small
many-toothed circular blade which can cut zinc. I have had one for a couple
of years, and it works OK, but doesn't have the horsepower to hog it's way
through thick zinc or rebar, you have to go slow with it. I use HF's 44812
3" abrasive cut-off wheels on this same saw. With that, I can (slowly) cut
brass came. The saw is $17.99 and the wheels are 10 for $2.50. If you only
have an occasional need for a came saw, or want one for your mobile shop,
this is as cheap as they come. One of the local SG retailers buys these and
resells them for about $50. These abrasive wheels look 'zactly like the
wheels off the Gryphon came saw.......

Also, a 5pc. diamond mini-cutoff disc set for $2.49. Stock number is
31501. I usually buy these whenever they are on sale from the regular
price of $9.95 , and get as many as I can. They are ideal for putting in a
Dremel and zipping a window apart, and cutting came, etc. They make a nice,
thin kerf so that a repair can be put back together neatly. They also carry
some other diamond burrs and wheels for the Dremel-like tools. These wheels
are about the size of a quarter and about 1/16" thick. I "have" used them
to "grind" a piece of glass when I didn't want to walk over to the van for
the grinder.

Lot 42528 is a 18ga brad nailer for $12.99. I use one of these every day,
and it is an amazing bargain.

This flier is for sale prices at the retail stores, expires 7/26.

I don't think they carry video recorders, though.

Old July 12th 04, 01:57 AM
suzilem

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..
I was looking through a Harbor Freight flier this morning. They have a
couple of items on sale that may be of interest to you glassers.

www.harborfreight.com

snip

I don't think they carry video recorders, though.

Maybe they carry the bulk tape erasers?????

:-)

Old July 12th 04, 02:12 AM
Javahut

"suzilem" wrote in message
m...

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..
I was looking through a Harbor Freight flier this morning. They have a
couple of items on sale that may be of interest to you glassers.

www.harborfreight.com

snip

I don't think they carry video recorders, though.

Maybe they carry the bulk tape erasers?????

:-)

You mean great.... Big ......Magnets?

Old July 12th 04, 05:22 AM
jk

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

check this out for enterprising folks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

exact same 19.95 saw selling on Ebay for $40 bucks!
--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old July 13th 04, 04:51 PM
Sundog

[Begin Rant]

Personally I am about fed up to here with cheap crap 'tools' from China,
etc. If I could hurl my Chinese drill press or Ryobi table saw (the worst,
period) at the idiots that built them I would! I've used my share and have
learned the hard way, that if a tool is worth anything to me, it's worth
having one that works NOW without excuses.... even if it costs a few dollars
more. There IS a reason to pay more. My time is valuable, and time wasted
fiddling with inferior junk just to make it work, adds expense to that
'cheap' item every time I use it!!!!! The added bonus is that a quality tool
will still be working great many years hence, not having been replaced time
and again with yet another cheap Chinese knockoff. And I just did it
again.... bought HFs' 'Touch-up Spray Gun' (Jamb Gun). This is a tool I've
always wanted to add to my collection of airbrushes and spray guns so I was
in da big city recently and grabbed one at HF. I get home and use it and
yes, it works, fair, (brand new), but NOT with the precision of the old used
US made ones I'd been using at an enameling workshop that weekend. I'm not
even surprised....I kick my own ass yet again and promise myself to spend
$60 on a GOOD one, and return the $20 one to where it belongs, and stop
enriching China (etc) while choking my fellow Americans out of a job.

Plus.... I really enjoy the 'feel' of a quality tool in my hands, which
makes using it a pleasure.... like Snap-On, Milwaukee, Matco, Black &
Decker, Paragon, ALC Sandy Jet & Pressure Blasters, Glastar beveling
machines, Dayton motors, US made Gibson guitars, vintage Chevy musclecars,
Vita-Mix blender, Shure mics, Mackie pro audio mixer, Petzl LED headlamp,
and much more .... AND I DO DESERVE QUALITY TOOLS...DON'T I ?.... not cheesy
compromises!

I'm not saying that if it's foreign it's poor....I'm saying if it's cheap,
there's a reason why! I also seek out and enjoy numerous foreign products
worth having .... Bosch grinder, Yamaha digital 16 track recorder, numerous
AKG mics, Atomic skis-boots-bindings, Makita driver/drills & diamond
circular-saw, vintage Pioneer silver-face receivers, several Olympus
cameras, numerous German lenses for US made 4x5 cameras, Zildjian cymbals,
etc ... the list is extensive....and yet by shopping around smart, I still
find discount prices on most of these items as well.

This is really important for me to remember I HAVE NEVER_ NEVER _
REGRETTED SPENDING MORE TO BUY A QUALITY PRODUCT OF ANY KIND.....EVER.(esp.
tools) ..... And.... I have consistently regretted buying cheapo
alternatives from distant shores. I own so many bargain 'tools' that
regularly remind me of these truths, I don't know how I could ever forget,
but show me a 'sale' sign and sometimes I'm just struck dumb I guess.

Go ahead and shop Harbor Freight .... just don't expect quality remotely
equivelent to the products they are copying.

Newest quality USA purchase.... replacing 20 year old Jacuzzi brand spa with
another Jacuzzi tomorrow. It worked flawlessly this whole time, but the
plastic flex-hose plumbing finally got cancer.... it happens... patched pipe
for a while, but I'm mostly enamoured with the 'new' upgrades now
available.....more jets, more power, digital controls.... mmmmmmmmmm ....
c'mon over for a soak sometime....;-)

[End Rant]

Cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

Old July 13th 04, 05:30 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Sundog" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

yeah, but a lot of what you listed is made in china. it's hard, if not
impossible, to determine where some things are made, let alone if some
assemblies are made in different places.

Old July 13th 04, 05:47 PM
nJb

Sundog wrote:

[...]

Bullfrog Spas in Salt Lake claims to have quite a fine product.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old July 13th 04, 06:53 PM
Sundog

yeah, but a lot of what you listed is made in china. it's hard, if not
impossible, to determine where some things are made, let alone if some
assemblies are made in different places.

==========================
I am sadly aware of that, Charlie. My 94 GMC S-15 Jimmy has metric and SAE
parts scattered all over it, but it's STILL twice the truck any uni-body
Honda or Beemer SUV will ever be .... I use it to plow snow (not
commercially) ... got big driveways & deep snow at 6,000' ya know. It
replaced the 85 S-10 I had, because I became very clear they are a solid
design with long experience behind in truck components! I live and play in
central Idaho, and MY rig actually leaves the pavement (on purpose) a lot!

My original point was not foreign 'bad', US 'good' (read it again?)..... it
was "quality is definitely worth paying for, especially with tools". If a
company outsources (all do now) it does not mean it's crap, if proper
quality controls and oversight monitoring are in place and the overseas
manufacturer is meeting or exceeding those specs. When you leave the
Chinese, et al, to "write those specs for themselves" in a cheap-ass
mass-market knock-off, you are asking for disappointment..... i.e., Harbor
Freight, where PRICE is the ONLY object!

I'd still rather have my 30 year old long lost Delta radial-arm (or a new
model) than ANY brand new product Ryobi makes, for example! This opinion is
formed from experience.... and is just an opinion. My Ryobi table saw began
falling apart just after the warranty did..... duh! It's barely usable at
all at this point. What went wrong?.... almost every important part of
it!!!!! But.... My even older Delta jointer still works just like new! I
own numerous examples of each scenario ... but need I go on?

Regards, Jacques Bordeleau

Old July 13th 04, 07:36 PM
Sundog

"nJb" wrote in message

Bullfrog Spas in Salt Lake claims to have quite a fine product.
--
Jack

====================

Ribbet.....;-)

Old July 14th 04, 04:49 AM
Michele Blank

that's one on the top of my list for my new house.( a new Jacuzzi) please
share what you found to be the best deal/quality. I also have had a rough
time with a cheap item (actually 20 items) from HF. i bought their 8 "
pneumatic wheels for my display for shows and not one of the *^%$#* tire
inner tubes will hold air! what a PITA!. anyone know where i can find some
RELIABLE wheels? thanks, m

"Sundog" wrote in message
nk.net...
[Begin Rant]

Personally I am about fed up to here with cheap crap 'tools' from China,
etc. If I could hurl my Chinese drill press or Ryobi table saw (the worst,
period) at the idiots that built them I would! SNIP

AD ? - Hand Tools Polly S. Beads 37 July 23rd 12 05:38 AM
Pumpkin carving tools Top Spin Carving 6 November 2nd 04 10:46 AM
AD:>>Bali Bead Shop New Arrivals: Earring Post<< Bali Bead Shop Beads 0 June 10th 04 11:52 AM
On-line "Shop" closing Kaytee Beads 25 January 6th 04 12:21 AM
new here, getting re-inspired shibumi Beads 15 September 30th 03 08:08 AM