Download Time

Old January 8th 04, 08:28 PM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Default Download Time

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing a much longer download time than what was
"normal" just
a few weeks ago? Just wondering?

--
Hal Keeney (dba)
Eugene's Studio

Old January 22nd 04, 07:03 AM
Kimberlee

Have you updated your virus checker and your spyware?
~Kimberlee

"Harold E. Keeney (Hal)" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: Is anyone else experiencing a much longer download time than what was
: "normal" just
: a few weeks ago? Just wondering?
:
: --
: Hal Keeney (dba)
: Eugene's Studio
: Stained Glass Artistry
:
:

Old January 22nd 04, 02:29 PM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Thanks for the reply, Kimberlee.
Yes - I'm as up to date as I can get. The point is
that this news group (which I enjoy a lot) is the
only internet connection that has a 2 minute 10 second download or upload
time. That is unusual
for any site, but this has been continous for the last 3 or 4 weeks.
Without looking into it, I only got one
answer from anyone other than you.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:47 PM
Moonraker

I'd suggest that you un-subscribe, purge all the old messages, and then
re-subscribe. You may be having some disk=space problems?

If you are using Outlook Express, you can find all the old messages in a
folder that has ".dbx" files. Find them by being in OE, choosing Tools,
Options, Maintenance, Store Folder. Copy and paste that folder's link into
your Windows Explorer search window. It will bring up all your OE mail and
newsgroup files. Delete all your old messages from groups you don't use
and empty your rec.crafts.glass folder.

I did this procedure this week and freed up almost 2 gigs (yes, 2 GIGs!!!).
Things run a LOT faster now.

HTH

Old January 23rd 04, 01:16 AM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Thanks to Moon & Kimberlee, my download time is now just shy of 1 minute.
That I can live with. I didn't expect to get technical internet help from
the glass
News Group. But if I expect to lurk, question or help answer questions, it
is
useful to be able to correspond. Have a great weekend - the wife and I are
going to a craft show in Richmond tomorrow. Supposed to be a lot of glass.

Hal

"Kimberlee" Kimberlee@delete~to~SEND MAILhotmail.com wrote in

Old January 23rd 04, 01:04 PM
Michele Blank

you also may want to try defragmenting your disc?? Under scheduled tasks in
my computer in
windows.Did mine recently and upped my download time considerably. m

Old January 24th 04, 01:16 AM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Thanks Michele - I defrag on a regular basis about
once a month just on general principles. I would do
it more often, but it IS hard on the hard disk.

Old January 24th 04, 11:30 AM
Hans Paijmans

Harold E. Keeney (Hal) wrote:
Thanks Michele - I defrag on a regular basis about
once a month just on general principles. I would do
it more often, but it IS hard on the hard disk.

Another option is of course not to use Windows, but one
of the free Unices such as FreeBSD or Linux. What they
lack in user friendliness they make up in robustness,
and 'virus' is an unknown word here.

Especially if you use your PC for surfing and email
only, I'd say go for it!

Paai

Old January 24th 04, 02:24 PM
suzilem

"Hans Paijmans" wrote in message
Harold E. Keeney (Hal) wrote:
Thanks Michele - I defrag on a regular basis about
once a month just on general principles. I would do
it more often, but it IS hard on the hard disk.

Another option is of course not to use Windows, but one
of the free Unices such as FreeBSD or Linux. What they
lack in user friendliness they make up in robustness,
and 'virus' is an unknown word here.

Especially if you use your PC for surfing and email
only, I'd say go for it!

soapbox

Unfortunately, 'virus' is *NOT* an unknown word in the Linux universe. In
comparison to the risk of virus infection when using Windows, it's rare, but
most definitely not unknown. There are many cross-platform viruses such as
"Simile" or "Etap" that are known to infect both Windows and Linux machines,
as well as multiple viruses such as "Linux.Lion.Worm" or
"Linux.Slapper.Worm" that only infect machines running Linux.

Please, don't assume that you are risk free just because you aren't running
Windows. In the past six months, I've even seen warnings of a worm that
infects Sun Solaris! Install virus detection software and *USE* it, no
matter what platform you choose to run.

/soapbox

Old January 24th 04, 02:39 PM
C Ryman

I have Norton anti-virus for my Windows XP. Would it also work for Linux or
are there different versions for different OS's?

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Harold E. Keeney (Hal) wrote:
[...]

AD - The time has come, the time is now... Kalera Stratton Beads 26 January 31st 05 01:34 AM
if you have time Charlie Beads 10 January 20th 05 10:32 PM
OT - Story: Time Flies Kathy N-V Beads 2 January 18th 05 05:25 PM
They're getting slicker all the time at phishing Su/Cutworks Beads 5 November 22nd 04 07:40 AM
Charity Auctions ~ One last time DreamBeadr Beads 8 June 3rd 04 11:47 PM