Applique Shaddows?

Old April 18th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Applique Shaddows?

I am using the fuse method to prepare my fabric for hand appliqué
stitching. There are many places where appliquéd pieces would overlap
resulting in a shadow. Given that the quilt will be a piece of "folk
art," should I not worry and just try to minimize? Should I cut away all
pieces to function like a jigsaw puzzle to remove all shadows? The
quilt is not headed for any juried events.

FYI: This is a Sunbonnet Sue quilt similar to "Sunbonnet Sue Sees San
Francisco" http://community.webshots.com/user/betsyross2004.

Any opinions? Are shadows a felony or just a misdemeanor?

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old April 18th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Will it bug you if there are shadows? Will you forever be looking at it
saying, I wish I had trimmed that? You are the only police you need to worry
about.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
. com...

Old April 19th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

can you not have the darker overlap the lighter in any design?
just reverse the ones so dark is always on top covering the seam allowances.
unless i'm missing something...
jeanne
wouldnt be the first time i missed something, seems to be my usual state of
consciousness or should that read unconsciousness
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Betsy Ross" wrote...

Old April 19th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm coming in this discussion late, Susan, but: yes. The shadows would
disturb me. They would. I would be so unhappy about how things looked I'd
probably put the project down and be unable to talk me into picking it back
up.
Now - as to lining a piece you're going to fuse. Easy. Let's say you
are putting white over black or red or whatever. Lay one piece of white on
top of another piece of white. Make it hold still for your appliqué fusing
process anyway you want to. Just a plain old children's water soluble (and
edible, if you must) glue stick will do the deed just fine. You don't have
to drown it with glue, just a thin stingy swipe in the middle ought to hold
it just fine. Try not to use the glue at the edges. 'They say' it will
not gum up your needles. Hog wash. Polly

"Betsy Ross" asked If you are fusing pieces, how do you line them?

Old April 19th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A lady at my guild told me she sews her applique piece to the fusible
webbing (right sides together) turns, then fuses it to the base. I haven't
tried this yet, but it sounds good!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
. net...

Old April 19th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

yup that works, Wendy.
if you dont want it to be stiff when finished, cut out the middle part of
the fusing before you adhere it to the background. leave just a 1/4" round
the outside is all that is needed to stick.
i use non fuse, non woven interfacing stuff much the same way and then sew
it to the background like needleturn'd. you can turn it thru a slit cut in
the interfacing/fusing or you if pieces are overlapped, dont sew that side
and turn it there. makes sense to me but probly not to everyone.
i leave the all the interfacing there cuz its so soft you dont really notice
it, its not stiff like fusing is.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
http://www.frappr.com/rctq Put yourself on the RCTQ map!!!
http://www.gen.gen.nz/

"frood" wrote...
A lady at my guild told me she sews her applique piece to the fusible
webbing (right sides together) turns, then fuses it to the base. I haven't
tried this yet, but it sounds good!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
. net...

Old April 19th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I will check out the light-weight fusible interfacing to see if that
provides enough opacity. I can then cut my shapes and fuse between the
interfacing and the quilt top. It may be a little stiff, but this is
will be a WH.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross