OT - Please Help Ladies!! Restroom Etiquette - Your Opinions Needed!!

Old November 12th 03, 03:09 PM
Diana Curtis

I was wondering... what happens if two folks in chairs get to the stall at
the same time. Do you duke it out to find out who is more entitled to the
stall? Use your chairs like bumper cars till one person is put out of
commision?
Diana with tongue firmly in cheek...

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Shelly" net dot charter at angel glass wrote in message
Well Marie, if I get there before you do, you'll just have to wait your
turn. Like someone else here stated, being handicapped doesn't guarantee

you
a stall in any restroom, it only gives you access for your chair.
Shelly
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article , Shelly
writes
(Gently snipped)
It isn't as though I'm hurting the disabled person by using the empty
stall, not when she's not there. And this has nothing to do with

parking
spots.

I agree Julia! The person would probably have a longer wait if a

handicapped
person was using the stall. I prefer to use the handicapped stall

myself
ALL
the time just because there is usually much more room, and it's usually
cleaner. I've never once encountered a handicapped person waiting to

use
the
stall I was just in.
Shelly

I find this appalling. I have had to wait and I do not have a choice of
stalls.

The French have signs: you can use my "restroom" if you also take my
disability.

As is said in another post, the French are very civilised.
--
Marie Lewis

---

Old November 12th 03, 03:19 PM
Marie Lewis

In article , Dan and Joanne Augusta
writes
Actually, I find Marie's posts interesting. I've never travelled abroad but
have friends who have been to France and complained a lot about unsanitary
toilet facilities. (I sometimes wonder if they saw anything OTHER than a
public toilet in France,...) I have heard that smoking is allowed in
restaurants there and that people can bring their dogs into restaurants. Is
that true, Marie, or is it a Canadian urban myth?

I suppose it depends where you go.

In some out of the way places, small cafes, etc., there are sometimes
problems. For example, the "Turkish" toilet is often found at autoroute
"aires" which are just rest stops, without catering facilities.

But, in general, in other autoroute stops, where there are cafes,
restaurants, etc., the toilets are normal and clean, as they are in
supermarkets, other restaurants and cafes and certainly in decent
hotels. On our last trip we had some palatial bathrooms, specially
adapted for the disabled.

Yes, smoking is often allowed in restaurants and cafes, as it is in the
UK. By law, however, there has to be a non-smoking section.
Yes, dogs are allowed into restaurants in most of Europe, I believe. I
have never come across one where dogs are not allowed.
--
Marie Lewis
Old November 12th 03, 03:21 PM
Teresa in Colorado

Marie,
I admire you - you keep talking to us calmly even though there are a few who
are getting a bit rude. :-)

Emergencies happen - I have a very unpredictable and heavy period - there
have been many times when I've had an unexpected emergency - and didn't have
a stall to get into - and had to go home to clean up. That is life. Things
happen. You deal with it and then go to the quilt shop to make up for the
inconvienence.

I agree 100% that people should not abuse the large toilet, but there are
times that are either emergencies or where the small stall will not work.
I do understand your position, having dealt with rude people, but not all of
us are that way.

If I was in the large stall - say with my twins in their stroller (well -
they are 14 and don't fit now, but they were small once grin) and you came
in saying it was an emergency, I'd come out with my pants around my ankles
pushing the stroller as fast as I could. No problem - I will accomodate
anyone in an emergency.

These facilities cost money - lots of money - the fact that they help out a
number of people in inconvienent situations makes them must more cost
effective.

Take care!
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
In article . net,
Jalynne writes
I don't agree that it's inconsiderate, Marie...and I know many who
agree. If there
is NO ONE else in the washroom...why should I not use it? Especially
if I had a
young child with me. I just don't understand your reasoning, i
suppose, and would
appreciate further clarification.

How do you know who is going to come in just after you? Could it be
someone with a colostomy and a full bag that is leaking?
--
Marie Lewis

Old November 12th 03, 03:48 PM
georg

Marie Lewis wrote:

In article , nomorespam
writes

an invisible disability would most likely not require a larger stall.....

Christina

OK, it may be distasteful but I will explain.

For one year, some 10 years ago, as a result of a bad infection and
peritonitis from a major operation, I have to have colostomy, while the
infection cleared completely.

This meant that, when I went to the loo (yes, you still have to do that,
for full bags are not good) I needed a long mirror and a wash basin in
the stall with me.

I doubt if other people would have relished the sight of my washing my
stoma in the main area.

No-one could tell I had a stoma. It was an invisible disability.

I've NEVER seen a long mirror and a sink in the handicapped stall. EVER.

-georg

Old November 12th 03, 04:15 PM
Julia in MN

Maybe we're missing something here. We keep talking about "handicapped"
stalls. These stalls aren't designated as being for the handicapped
only, as parking spots are. They are simply large enough so they are
accessible by the handicapped. I think there is a difference.

I generally use a "regular" stall when one is available, but if not I
will use the larger, accessible stall. I have also been in restrooms
where the "regular" stalls are so small that I (a relatively slender
person) have trouble getting into and turning around to close the door.
If there is no one else waiting in a restroom like that, I am likely to
use the larger stall. Anyone much larger than I am would almost
certainly need to use the larger stall, even if they had no handicap.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old November 12th 03, 04:17 PM
CNYstitcher

Well, now that you mentioned this, I can see whay DH doesn't want to
visit France with me sigh. Actually, he has said that he doesn't want
to go back to Europe double sigh. Maybe once the kids are grown and
on their own, I can convince him to do some travel with me.

Of course, that would mean he'd have to go to France because my goal is
to visit all the countries that my ancestors came from: Germany,
Ireland, England, Scotland, France, Wales, Norway and
Holland.........I'll settle for England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales

Janner wrote:

On the topic of France, has anyone worked out how to use the loos at
motorway service stations in France? I mean the ones where you have to
squat down without falling in? I must admit to using the disabled loos as I
could see no way of performing the task without getting completely undressed
from the waist down! Yet, I saw the most elegantly dressed ladies emerging
from the cubicles without a ruffle! Do they teach them at school how to use
them?

Also on the topic of France, I find it a wonderful place, with families well
catered for (apart from service station loos!) and we are looking forward to
selling up and moving there next year!

In France we had this wonderful strong coffee with hot chocolate in it and
cinnamon and sugar....... I could do with one of those.

I'll get off my pedestal now (grin) and leave you all in peace! I'll try
not to bang the door on my way out!

A bientot

Old November 12th 03, 04:24 PM
CNYstitcher

ANd as MOm with a little one, I appreciate it when people let the
dancing 3yo run in ahead of them. MOst recently, I had my elderly
grandmother (little bladder control) and the 3yo with me. A lady
offered to let both of them go ahead of her. Grandmother went, 3yo kept
dancing until the next stall opened.

Now, some of the restrooms over here also have stalls with the changing
areas in them as well as the handicapped stalls. When they are opened,
that is what i use.....the baby needs the changing table while the 3yo
can sit on the toilet by himself. Only when I am the only person in the
bathroom do I run into the handicapped stall - with the 3yo and the
stroller with the baby...can't just leave them sitting out in the
bathroom alone, can I??

Dan and Joanne Augusta wrote:

Yes, and I usually let moms with wee ones ahead of me. Little ones have
little bladders, after all.

Joanne in Spencerville

"Teresa in Colorado" wrote in message
nk.net...

All they have to do is ask.
I've let people ahead of me when they asked, due to an emergency
(handicapped or otherwise).

--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"Marie Lewis" wrote in message

In article . net,
Jalynne writes

I would always let someone who is obviously disabled go ahead
of me.

What about the disabilities that are not obvious?
--
Marie Lewis

Old November 12th 03, 04:30 PM
Julia Altshuler

Just asking. I'm learning so much from this thread. I'm not supposed
to use the empty stall that's handicapped accessible in a public
restroom because someone might need it though she's nowhere in sight.
That's like taking the handicapped parking space. But I am allowed to
use the handicapped ramp because that's different. What about
elevators? I do have the ability to walk up 10 flights of stairs though
I get winded and have to catch my breath. That's still 10 times better
than not being able to walk. Where do elevators fit in? Someone in a
wheelchair doesn't have the option of walking upstairs. Should I leave
the elevator for her like I do the parking space? Or should I use the
elevator like I do the handicap ramp? I want to get this straight. And
thanks for the sympathy. I'm desperately trying to get over a bad cough
and touch of bronchitis before flying to Paris on Friday and can use all
the sympathy I can get.

--Lia

Marie Lewis wrote:
In article J2hsb.128872$ao4.403327@attbi_s51, Julia Altshuler
writes

What about the handicap ramp? Are we allowed to walk on it if no one
in a wheel chair is using it, or should we make sure we use the stairs
in case someone who can't walk needs the ramp right away?

--Lia

If you think this is the same thing, then I am sorry for you.

I did not understand until I lost the ability to walk. My husband was
also somewhat intolerant of disabled people until he had to push me around.
He has changed.

I hope you never have to learn that lesson the hard way.

Old November 12th 03, 04:32 PM
Julia Altshuler

Shelly wrote:
Snipped
How old was your oldest when you started letting him into the public
men's room by himself?

Your question was how old was my oldest when he started going to the
restroom alone. I answered your question.

Yup, you've got me there. This is a new question. How old will your
current 8 year old have to be before he's allowed to use a public men's
room by himself?

--Lia