Hoops, scroll frames, q-snaps

Old August 18th 04, 12:36 AM
JiminyCricket

Default Hoops, scroll frames, q-snaps

It seems that each of these has raving-fans. I'm not in that category for
any of them
I use all 3 and stitch in hand -- it depends on the project: detail, size,
to use floor stand or not...
I use small hoops and larger hoops (I have one huge hoop, but I rarely use
it for cross-stitching, it's about 8 or 9 " in diameter). I have
spring-loaded hoops (don't know what else to call them), I particularly like
the small spring-loaded hoops for traveling (they're about 3 or 4" in
diameter). I have some hoops with a lock nut, the inner ring has a lip on
it -- you can get the fabric REALLY tight, like a drum. I have all different
sizes of these and some are oval instead of round (these are really good
too, especially when working on high-count aida; don't use as much w/ linen
due to distortion of the fabric when pulling really tight).
I have a wide variety of scroll frames, tend to use with linen. I used to
have a chair w/ arms close enough together that I could balance the scroll
frames & stitch two-handed. I don't use scroll frames as much as I used to
because I tend to stitch a lot on "travel-projects".
I have one set of qsnaps w/ an extra set of long connecting bars. Qsnaps are
handy for using w/ my floor stand. Most of my projects are of a size that I
can put them in the qsnaps, cushioning with a bit of batting or soft flannel
(white) and leave it in the floor stand for months at a time and not have
anything touching or crushing the stitching.

In closing grin -- each of these devices have their place. And a lot of
people have favorites and use the same thing all the time. That's fine
too....

Susan

Old August 21st 04, 11:16 PM
Pat EAXStitch

I don`t use any of those - I use wooden interlocking stretcher bars
(Siesta) - you buy them in pairs in many sizes, and make up a frame in the
most appropriate size - stretch the fabric over them as tight as a drum, and
pin it in place. No hoop marks, no distortion, no sagging. Simple yet
effective, and they fit on my Lowery stand perfectly.

Whatever floats your boat, as they say!

Pat P

ink.net...

Old August 22nd 04, 09:34 PM
Suzanne

On 2004-08-21 17:16:59 -0500, "Pat EAXStitch"
said:

I don`t use any of those - I use wooden interlocking stretcher bars
(Siesta) - you buy them in pairs in many sizes, and make up a frame in the
most appropriate size - stretch the fabric over them as tight as a drum, and
pin it in place. No hoop marks, no distortion, no sagging. Simple yet
effective, and they fit on my Lowery stand perfectly.

Whatever floats your boat, as they say!

Pat P

I've used stretcher bars like that for crewel work and have a good
selection now, but I never thought about using them for cross stitch.
And I always used them in hand--without a stand, was easy enough for
me, especially since they're lightweight. Maybe I should try cross
stitch with them sometime, if I can ever find what I did with them.
Been a while since I did any crewel.
--
Suze
Cat hair? That's just an embellishment.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
Pat EAXStitch

news:2004082215341827590%suzette40@comcastnetstitc h...
On 2004-08-21 17:16:59 -0500, "Pat EAXStitch"
said:

[...]

They`re actually pretty handy for many crafts.

Pat P

Old August 29th 04, 12:21 AM
dhducati

i used stretcher bars without a stand for crewel and cross stitch.

works like a charm.

On 2004-08-21 17:16:59 -0500, "Pat EAXStitch"
said:

[...]

Wooden Hoops Karen C - California Needlework 22 June 2nd 04 09:24 PM
Frames vs No Frames Arondelle Beads 19 May 5th 04 04:44 AM
Slide Frames - you gotta try! [email protected] Rubberstamps 0 April 14th 04 08:17 AM
Qsnaps vs. Scroll which is better? morendorff Needlework 18 February 12th 04 03:08 AM
FireHouse Angel Daily 9-13-03 - scroll rods Felice Friese Needlework 1 September 14th 03 02:40 PM