Memorial quilt for those killed in Iraq

Old March 30th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Yahoo Group for the Memorial Quilt has been established.

Can we join the group even if we aren't sure yet whether or not we can
send a block? Or would you prefer we wait?

Dannielle

Old March 30th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Memorial quilt for those killed in Iraq

Gotcha! I thought you weren't understanding her thought process on
this particular project!

Sorry, I'll go back to my hole now.

Dannielle

Old March 30th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Of course you can hand-piece. After we get to squares to the
casualties-to-date, additional squares will be hand sewn.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross
"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...
Betsy Ross wrote:

I would like to assemble a quilt top with blocks representing all the
service men and women killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Unfortunately, the death toll is now over 2300. So I would like to
use machine piecing to get near the current total. Each additional
block would then be added by hand.

I would like to do this. Is it okay if it is
hand-pieced? What is your time frame? It may
take me awhile to get a block done.

-- Anita --

Old March 30th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Susan: My message is not a critique; it is
just a 'food for thought' comment/question.
I am asking about using the names, not about
the other notes people may wish to include on
the fabric.
I wonder about having some squares dedicated
to specific service members, while other
service members are not named. Is this a good
idea? Might it be better to have each square
represent an un-named troop? What about
families who feel upset to have their loved
person named, with out prior permission? What
do others here think?
Thank you for your concern and caring for the
troops.
PAT

Betsy Ross wrote:

The 10x10 units would be composed of 3" unfinished squares, not pieced
blocks, just plain fabric squares. High contrast squares would be
better to represent the individual lives they represent. But each
contributor is free to choose to piece mini-blocks and choose colors.

I wanted to get help assembling the quilt to date. After that I can
hand sew an additional square if another fatality occurs. If, praying
that it doesn't happen.

I didn't anticipate writing names on each square, rather leave it up to
anyone contributing to writing anything they might wish on squares. This
could be names from your state or local.

....cut...
Old March 30th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'll be happy to create a block, Susan. We lost another Marylander
yesterday. Nancycog in MD

Old March 30th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My squares will have no names. I would not want cause insult or hurt to
anyone with this project. The purpose is to provide a clear, tangible
representation of what 2300+ looks like. I left it open to others who
might want to write on squares.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old March 31st 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I appreciate that input, Pat, because I've been debating the same thing for
my squares. My initial thought was to include a square with the name of each
of the Iowa soldiers who have died, but I wondered if that might cause a
problem somewhere down the line - either with a family who didn't like that
or someone inadvertently being left off or something like that. I think what
I'm going to do is write their names on the back of the fabric. That still
satisfies my wish to honor them but would be a more private way of doing it.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com