OT word of the day

Old November 13th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

Default OT word of the day

i've always much preferred denim as it was made rather than that with all
the mess'n about just to change the look.
i prefer change'n the look by wear'n them til they develop their own
markings from wear and washing.
seems to me silly to 'pay more' for the jeans that are 'distressed' and
therefore have a 'shorter lifespan'.

also annoys me when the manufacturers reduce the quantity in a packet of
food rather than increase the price.
folks often dont notice the smaller package and think the maker is being
good by keeping the cost the same for a longer period of time while
inflation hits all the other brands.
eventually folks get used to the smaller package, then they raise the price
later and the makers double their profit.
guess i'm just weird tho.
j.
just finishing my second cuppa tea of the morning

"Ginger in CA" wrote...
Well, I'd be distressed, too, if I had a bath like any of these
Ginger in CA
too early, not enough tea

"NightMist" wrote:
Distressed Fabric

Fabric that has been intentionally damaged to change the texture or
drape.

Old November 14th 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Lamé

(French term for trimmed with silver and golden leaves)

Silk or any textile fiber in which metallic threads are used in the
warp or filling.

By definition, cloth of gold and cloth of silver would be Lamés.
However they are always held seperate from modern Lamé. The metallic
threads in modern Lamé are almost always mylar or closely related,
thus allowing machine washing. Cloth of gold and cloth of silver use
the actual metal in their names, and require special handling.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 14th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Nope, not weird. We were just talking about how our favorite brand of bread
no longer 'pops up' when it's toasted. The height is shorter! but the price
went up almost $.50!! Cost more than store brand, but you get a PBJ sandwich
from this bread, not PBJ rolls like with the store brand. So they get you
double...isn't worth the cheaper cost if you can't make a proper sammich.

Butterfly (If I wanted Peanut Butter Balls, I'd make 'em)

Old November 15th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Basketweave

A weaving pattern in which warp threads and/or weft threads are paired
and treated as a single thread in a plain weave. For example as in
Monks Cloth.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 16th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Throw

A stitch movement in a single direction. Needle goes up or needle
goes down on a sewing machine. Needle moves from one side of the
fabric to the other in hand sewing. Thus for example, whip stitching
by hand requires one throw per stitch, while a single running stitch
by hand requires two.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 16th 08, 07:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Just a thank you for posting the word of the day Nightmist.
I am enjoying reading them everyday.
Good job!
Taria

Old November 16th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Thanks!
I am glad to know people are enjoying it.

NightMist

Old November 16th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

To take it one step further, in KNITTING, cause I know some of us do: when
you knit the American way, you Throw the yarn over the working needle, but,
in Continental, you Move the yarn with your left finger over the needle
point of the idle needle. I've been watching How-To-Knit diff stitches on
'youtube' but I've never heard them say the word 'move' or any other for
Continental.

Butterfly (And I'm not positive that "Move" is the word I need.)
..

Old November 16th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default knitting OT word of the day

I've converted to continental-style knitting, and really the yarn just
lies there, wrapped around my left index finger. The right-hand needle
does all the moving. To switch between knit and purl, I simply shift
that index finger so the yarn lies at the back or at the front of the
work.
Roberta in D

.

Old November 16th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I'm trying to 're-learn' how to do Continental again. Think it'd be easier
on my hands. My knit stitch is fine.purl is quite loose and you can really
tell the diff.
I know, Practice makes perfect.

I'll do the practicing next year. For now, I just have 'edgings' to put on
all the knitted panels....must make 2 more smallish ones...both have cables,
so I'll continue throwing the yarn for them. Good evening work.

Butterfly (That will get one more UFO finished by year's end)

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 12:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 12:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 06:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 04:07 PM