OT word of the day

Old October 23rd 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Default OT word of the day

Downunder they are also called French seams

Dee in Oz

"Sally Swindells" wrote ...
But here in England they are French!!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Bernardin vOLMAN wrote:
Where I grew up these were clled English seams.
"NightMist" wrote in message
French Seam

One of the seam varieties in which all raw edges are enclosed.

Sew a quarter inch seam with the wrong sides of the fabric together,
trim closely, press the seam with the right sides of the fabric
together, sew a quarter inch seam, press to finish.

Very handy if you don't have a serger.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Old October 23rd 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

My czech grandma called them french seams too.
Taria

"

Old October 23rd 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

What about other things that have nationalistic names?

Is broderie anglais called something different in England? I must
admit that it took a while for me to figure out what it was because
here in the boondocks of the USA I had mostly heard it called Madeira
work. I imagine in Madiera that they either call it broderie anglais
or something else entirely.

What about Irish Lace? Do they call it that in Ireland? The number
of place names and ethinic groups used in the names of various kinds
of lace is just staggering.

Hey! Is English paper piecing called something else in England?

NightMist
does not call American cheese, back cheese. Though it is tempting to
start. (G)

Old October 23rd 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Broderie Anglais is called that here; but isn't it funny that these are
French words used to describe 'English embroidery' (translation), but
that we use the French version?

I think Irish lace would be called by its regional names within Ireland
eg Limerick lace.

English paper piecing is called English paper piecing. The patchwork
blocks, though, are, in general, called American piecing.

In message , NightMist
writes
What about other things that have nationalistic names?

Is broderie anglais called something different in England? I must
admit that it took a while for me to figure out what it was because
here in the boondocks of the USA I had mostly heard it called Madeira
work. I imagine in Madiera that they either call it broderie anglais
or something else entirely.

What about Irish Lace? Do they call it that in Ireland? The number
of place names and ethinic groups used in the names of various kinds
of lace is just staggering.

Hey! Is English paper piecing called something else in England?

NightMist
does not call American cheese, back cheese. Though it is tempting to
start. (G)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 26th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Bast Fibre

Strong, soft, woody fibres such as flax, jute, hemp and ramie which
come from the inner bark of plants

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old October 27th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Sanforized

A trademarked finishing process which compresses the fabric to reduce
its residual shrinkage to not more than 1 percent.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old October 29th 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Clo Value

The insulation value of clothing and bedding is measured in Clo units.
Much like the insulation of your house is measured in R units.

At it's most basic, 1 unit of clo value is what a person can
comfortably wear in a 70 F (21C ?) room.

Naked skin has a clo value of 0, a high loft down comforter with a
closely woven top and back has an approximate clo value of 5.

To get the clo value of a given set of clothes, you simply add the
values together. For example a T-shirt (.09) plus jeans (.25) gives a
value of .34, add socks (.02) and sneakers (.02), and at .38 clo
units you might be a little underdressed for October.

If you want to play with the math, additional basic info and a handy
dandy chart is he

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cl...ion-d_732.html
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old October 30th 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Bombazine

The best known version is a fabric with a silk warp and woolen weft.
Very durable, easy to wear, and suitable for most weather. It rose to
popularity during the elizabethan period as a mourning fabric, due to
these qualities, and stayed in fashion for such until the last century
which saw the rise of synthetics and a change in mourning customs.

At some points in history, and currently, a silk warp with a weft of
cotton or linen are also called bombazine.

Bombazette is a lightweight woolen fabric. I have personally seen the
term incorrectly applied to a rayon warp with a woolen weft. I
suspect that other such odd labling is probably also out there applied
to similar combinations.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old October 30th 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

"Bombazine" conjures such interesting pictures--"Bambi in Bombazine,"
"Bombay Bombazine," "Bimbos in Bombazine."
Here is the deriviation of the word, from Merrian-Webster.com:
Middle French, bombasin; from Medieval Latin bombacinum (silken
texture); from bombyx (silk).

Nann

Old October 31st 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Denier

A unit of weight for measuring the fineness of threads of silk, nylon,
rayon, etc., equal to .05 gram per 450 meters or 1 gram per 9000
meters.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 01:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 01:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 05:07 PM