OT word of the day

Old February 25th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT word of the day

overshot

weaving patterns created by throwing the warp thread over more than
one weft thread at regular intervals. They may be simple, or complex
combinations that regularize over a several passes of the shuttle.
Very often the warp is a heavier yarn than the weft.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old February 26th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Lawn

A lightweight semi-sheer fabric originally of linen. It has a crisp
finish and and resists wrinkleing better than standard linen. Nowdays
most lawn is made of cotton.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old February 27th 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Acetate

A manufactured fiber usually made of cotton lint, though sometimes
wood is added or used instead..

it is made like most other attempts at manmade silk. The basic fiber
is treated with an acid, then it is extruded through a spinneret and
hardened.

In the case of acetate the cotton lint is treated with acetic acid
before being spun out.

Acetate is not the sturdiest of fabrics. It is one of the fabrics
most susceptible to damage from heat or common chemicals. It burns
very quickly, and will scorch at a hint of excessive temperature when
ironing. It will melt when exposed to alcohol or many of the common
compounds containing acetyl radicals. Acetone (nail polish or nail
polish remover for example) and, superglue will dissolve it almost
instantly. Vinegar, wine, or perfume will take only a little longer
to destroy the fabric.

It does dry quickly as it does not readily absorb moisture, and will
resist wrinkling in general use. It can be soft with a good drape,
though most people think of old store bought Halloween costumes or
cheap graduation gowns when they think of acetate.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old February 28th 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Slub
Slubbed

A slub is a defect in a yarn or thread that is basically a lump where
a lump ought not to be.
Originally it only applied to lumps caused by a defect in the spinning
or carding process. However over time in common use it also now
includes bumps caused by "flying fibers" being spun into the thread.
"Flying fibers" is a fancy way of saying airborne lint. Which is
inevitable in a high speed textile process, but which manufacturers do
usually do their best to try to shield the spinning threads from.

Slubbed yarns and threads are those which are spun with intentional
slubs in them. These may be woven into slubbed fabrics such as silk
noil, or sold for specialty applications such as certain types of
three dimensional embroidery or knitting and crochet.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 1st 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Notch

A pattern marking, usually shown as a darkened diamond or double
diamond on commercial patterns, indicating a good place to put a mark
for matching pieces. The mark may be made with any of the standard
marking tools, tailors chalk, dressmakers, carbon, marking pencils or
markers, etc., or it may be a tailors tack, or simply a cutting
usually following the pattern marking outwards though some garment
makers prefer to cut into the seam allowance rather than outwards.

Notches are particularly handy to mark curves or areas to be gathered
prior to matching.

They can be used in quilting and are very handy when making curved
patterns such as drunkard's path blocks or DWW. When working with
bought templates, simply match the pieces together and use adhesive
dots to mark notches, then as you cut mark the fabric with your marker
of choice to indicate the notches on the individual pieces.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 3rd 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Challis

pronounced SHA-lee

A lightweight plainweave fabric, soft, with superior drape.
Currently it is often found commercially with small overall patterns,
frequently floral.

Formerly the most common challis was wool, and wool is still highly
popular. However rayon challis is probably the best selling variety
now. It is much in demand for a variety of garments.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 4th 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Boundweave

A variety of weft faced twill weaving wherin a pattern is developed
through the use of color. The patterns are usually designed in
blocks, so the design phase can be rather akin to designing a quilt.
You can repeat the same block, or combine blocks for a more complex
effect.
Usually this type of weaving gives a very heavy fabric, best suited to
carpets or upholstry.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 5th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

button pins

I am just so happy that I finally found somplace that sells the darn
things I giving it to you as todays term! I've been mangling quilt
pins with pliers to get by since the local store that had them closed.

The object of the things is to create a no sew attachment for buttons
that are too expensive or too unique to trust to the dry cleaner or
the laundry.
These are safety pins with a half loop in the sharp side.
You can put them right through the fabric of a garment, but I prefer
to make eyelets to thread them through.

Put the pin through from the wrong side, loop the shank of the button
on, and the put the pin back through to the wrong side, and close the
pin. The shank of the button will nest in the half loop.

Picture of them in the package he

http://sewtrue.com/Store/Button-Pins-P441.html

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Old March 7th 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Stay stitching

A line of stitching just inside the seam allowance from the seam line.
Generally used on curves to stabilize them and prevent distortion.
It is sometimes used (other than for curves) on fine fabrics or
stretch fabrics to stabilize the area of the seam line and prevent
distortion due to stretching or slipping.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 01:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 01:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 05:07 PM