Do you ECHO Echo echoooooooo ?

Old September 11th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default Do you ECHO Echo echoooooooo ?

You could try using a zipper foot, Polly.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
That Hungry Caterpillar has far flung influence. I was putting one together
when a neighbor who 'wasn't a bit interested in making *blankets* ' dropped
in for a visit. She was so enchanted that now she's leading a group at a
nearby church to make hug quilts. Meanwhile, back to my wondering . . .
what are the tricks to get really close to an appliqué for in the ditch
quilting. My attempts want to stall. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 11th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Polly Esther wrote:
Meanwhile, back to my wondering . . .
what are the tricks to get really close to an appliqué for in the ditch
quilting. My attempts want to stall. Polly

Practice, practice, practice....

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 11th 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Default Hungry Caterpillar quilt (Was Do you ECHO Echo echoooooooo ?)

Sherry wrote:
On Sep 10, 9:07�pm, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
Polly Esther wrote:
A machine quilting question. �Tell us how you echo. �

I did some echo quilting on the Hungry Caterpillar quilts I made for my
granddaughters.
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/HungryCaterpillar.JPG
Unfortunately, the photo is just of the top, so it doesn't show any
stitching.

I love that quilt. That was my daugher's favorite book when she was 6.
I've always wanted to make one
for a grandchild (If I ever get one). I've seen the panel, but it was
only 24" or so and didn't know what to do with it. I've never seen the
other fabric that you used. Where did you find it?

It's all part of the Hungry Caterpillar collection. I found it all at a
nearby LQS. I did a quick check at Virginia Quilter, an online shop that
I have used. It looks like they have most -- maybe all -- of them.
http://www.virginiaquilter.com/

Julia in MN

--
-----------

Old September 11th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I've decided I don't really like it much, although I have seen some
pretty quilts done in echo lines. IMO though, it usually starts to
look odd when you finally run out of space to keep going all the way
around, or when one set of echoes starts to intersect with another. So
I'd rather just outline a stand-out area and then fill in with
feathers or stipples or paisleys or spirals or....
Roberta in D

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:04:41 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

A machine quilting question. Tell us how you echo. I 've tried (or seen)
echoing just as close as you can manage to get with the SM foot. I've tried
moving out 1/8" or 1/4" in a sort of shadow effect. I've tried barely
following the edge of the vine or appliqué with just a loopy stipple.
What technique do you use? Why? Easier, looks better, what? Just
wondering. I don't think the preemie babies I stitch for will give a happy
hoot but I always, always would like to do better. Polly

Old September 11th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

More practice?
Roberta in D

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:38:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ! yuck, gross and phooey. I want an easy answer. Polly

"Leslie The Coward & The Furbabies in MO." wrote Dump the free-motion
idea and use a walking foot! VBEG Twist, turn, stuff
the quilt under the arm, twist, turn, stuff, twist, turn, stuff.....

"Polly Esther" That Hungry Caterpillar has far flung influence. I was

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
Polly Esther wrote:
A machine quilting question. Tell us how you echo. I 've tried (or
seen) echoing just as close as you can manage to get with the SM foot.
I've tried moving out 1/8" or 1/4" in a sort of shadow effect. I've
tried barely following the edge of the vine or appliqué with just a
loopy stipple.
What technique do you use? Why? Easier, looks better, what?
Just wondering. I don't think the preemie babies I stitch for will
give a happy hoot but I always, always would like to do better. Polly
I did some echo quilting on the Hungry Caterpillar quilts I made for my
granddaughters.
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/HungryCaterpillar.JPG
Unfortunately, the photo is just of the top, so it doesn't show any
stitching. I stitched "in the ditch" around the leaf, caterpillar, &
butterfly -- also along the vein in the leaf and several lines in the
butterfly wings. Then I echoed with lines about 1/2" apart around each
of the objects to fill the white space around them. I quilted the "gum
ball" areas with large "pebbles" -- rather irregular ones, I must
admit. Fortunately, the design of the fabric camouflages them somewhat.

Julia in MN

--
-----------

Old September 11th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I do some echo quilting. Especially around appliqué.
Somewhere I read a trick to use for echo quilting to avoid a lot of
starts and stops. Do a first round fairly close to the shape, starting
in as inconspicuous place as possible. When you get back to that place
gradually move out to the spacing you want for the next round, and just
keep going. One continuous spiral type stitching. It works well, and
with several rows of echo stitching it is difficult to find the "start"
point.
Frequently, I like to start with a row close in, about an eighth of an
inch away, then move to about a quarter inch, sometimes staying there,
but mostly getting a bit wider the farther out I go. Sometime this is
just moving the needle position some. The widest I use is probably
about a half inch spacing. G

Pati, in Phx

Old September 11th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I don't free motion when I echo quilt. I loosen the pressure foot
pressure, like you did for the appliqué back a bit, but more. Use the
feeddogs and just go around the shape. Not something I would do on a
large quilt, but doable. G A smaller quilt isn't really that bad to
stuff and fluff under the arm as you go around the shape.
If you have multiple shapes, the echoing will eventually merge into one
large outline of the whole composite shape.... like ripples in water
when you drop 2 or more things into the water a distance apart but
almost at the same time. G

Pati, in Phx

Old September 11th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On a preemie quilt that would be easy!
Just don't try it on a king.
I have long since learned that curves are good, curves are grand,
curves should always move foward and not in circles when the quilt is
massive.
Round and round things on big quilts are easiest by hand. Unless you
have a long arm I s'pose.

NightMist

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old September 11th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

NightMist, dear, is that a LONGarm or a long ARM? LOL

Leslie- feeling ornery & The Furbabies in MO.- where 'we' just shampoo'ed
the carpet and I have a blister on my hand to prove it! I ran the machine
and The HairyButts ran in circles.....

wrote:

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ! yuck, gross and phooey. I want an easy answer.
Polly

"Leslie The Coward & The Furbabies in MO." wrote Dump the free-motion
idea and use a walking foot! VBEG Twist, turn, stuff
the quilt under the arm, twist, turn, stuff, twist, turn, stuff.....

"Polly Esther" That Hungry Caterpillar has far flung influence. I
was
putting one
together when a neighbor who 'wasn't a bit interested in making
*blankets* ' dropped in for a visit. She was so enchanted that now
she's
leading a group at a nearby church to make hug quilts. Meanwhile, back
to my wondering . . .
what are the tricks to get really close to an appliqué for in the
ditch quilting. My attempts want to stall. Polly

"Julia in MN" wrote in
message

Old September 11th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I saw that too, Leslie, and considered telling our NightMist that my arms
are rather short. She just might come bop us on the nose with a rolled-up
newspaper. Polly

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote NightMist, dear, is that a LONGarm
or a long ARM? LOL

Leslie- feeling ornery & The Furbabies in MO.- where 'we' just shampoo'ed
the carpet and I have a blister on my hand to prove it! I ran the machine
and The HairyButts ran in circles.....

"NightMist" wrote On a preemie quilt that would be easy!