OT Wedding Announcement

Old September 8th 08, 07:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default OT Wedding Announcement

Kate T. wrote:
Thank you all for your input. I'm confused about giving a gift also.
I understand her registry is at Walmart.

Stick to your budget, and send something small but beautiful.

But I definitely will not attend the wedding or the reception. The
wedding I am told will be in a church and the reception will be at the
new home the groom's parents bought for them. The home was placed in
pasture land. With no shoes I am not about to step in anything. No
hornet nests, wasp nests, fire ant hills and with horses around I
won't step barefoot in their leavings in the pasture.

I'd read that as bare feet welcome rather than obligatory.

Kate T. South Mississippi

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 8th 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Anne Rogers wrote:

I must be positively pre-historic! I hate the idea of sending out a
list - it's like begging for things!

My mum asked me what we needed, as by the time Alan & I finally got
married, we'd had a house and a mortgage for five years! So I gave
her a list of what we would quite like, and when folk wanted to know,
mum chose a couple of things off the list in whoever it was's price
range (she guessed those - and was extremely accurate!) and kept a
list of who she'd told what to (if you follow!) The ONLY duplication
we got was a couple of the big square Tupperware cake boxes!

I agree with you, to be honest I don't think the list I was thinking of
was sent out, but put discreetly put on a website. I think the problem
is these days, with so much variation of what goes on, that you really
can't guarantee that people will call the bride's mother and even if
they did, the bride's mother is probably working and it would be quite a
burden for her to maintain the list. More and more people are moving
away from home and will have friends who don't know the family and the
groom's family won't know the brides family etc.

Not knowing each other's family was certaily the case wiht us. We'd met
at uni, after I had a perepatetic childhood. One of the first things
Mum did when we finally set the date was ask me for Alan's parents phone
number, and ring them for a guest list and addresses. She did the same
for Alan and for me, so she knew exactly who to invite and their proper
titles (such as Dr and so forth), and initials and everything... She
was VERY efficient, but then she had trained and worked as a secretary,
and run several different organizational thing in her role as an RAF
officer's wife. I think she is where a lot of Big Sis's skills as a PA
come from!

While she wasn't working when we got married, Mum was running this
wedding in the aftermath of my father's sudden death.

It's indisputable that it is ettiquette to take a gift to a wedding, yet
more and more the practicalities mentioned above mean that for many
couples it is much simpler to have a list at a store. From the weddings
I've been too recently, it would seem that our wedding was small, about
80 guests, probably around 40-50 family units and individuals, had my
mum had to return 40 calls or emails with details it would have been
quite time consuming, she was working full time and only about 18 months
since she'd finished cancer treatments, so was still suffering with
fatigue and things like that. So you tread a fine line between it being
etiquette to give a gift, but not etiquette to expect one, what we ended
up doing, and this seems to be quite common is to include an information
sheet in with the invite, so the invite is simply the classic statement,
saying where and when, but then further information, such as a map, car
parking details, suggested accomodation is given in a separate print out
and somewhere on there you sneak in a discreet note that says which
store your list is at.

When things are not done strictly according to the rules of ettiquette
in a situation like that, everyone will be very understanding and very
sympathetic. Wedding lists at stores are very old. I'm sure they go
back to the 30's...

Despite my mother taking similar care with my sister when she got
married, Little Sis still ended up with 20 dinner plates from her chosen
china, and the store took them back and swapped the extra ones for other
pieces.

I'd have been happy to have a list that was more general, though it was
useful to have things like plates all matching. I know in the past this
was sometimes acheived by passing on that you wanted them from a
particular range, but that's become a very expensive way to obtain
crockery, if you do that now, you'd only getting a dinner service from
the whole guest list! We picked cheapish sets where they came four
settings in a box and asked for 2 and several other things that matched
them, like mats. If you have a more general list it ends up being a
person that has to keep track, when it's easier for everyone if it's a
computer!

I think the whole store/china list thing came about when decent china
was hard to come by. It certainly became necessary here in the UK,
where, especially after the war, when everything we made of any quality
was being exported to pay for the war. There was no way my parents'
families could have got hold of a decent bone china dinner service in
the mid fifties, even though they could have afforded it between them.

A lot of countries don't have the same ettiquette that we have, which is
a bizarre balance having to give a gift and not expecting to receive
one. Many other societies do what we would consider very bad form and
give gifts of money, which will be quite blatently collected and the
amount recorded at some point during the celebrations - so the couple
know how much to give when the guests or their families get married, a
thought that in US and British etiquette is not really supposed to enter
your head!

It's always wise to know the local customs. It still horrifies me
that wedding guests can be requested to dress in colours chosen by the
bride, and that bridesmaids pay for their own gowns in the USA. Here it
is still the norm that these whole outfits (shoes, dress, headdress, any
bag they carry, but not usually the undies) are all paid for by the
bride (or her parents), and their flowers, like all the flowers, are
paid for by the groom. It is still the norm that the groom buys the
bridesmaids a little gift. Jewelery is traditional.

Old September 8th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

My neice is getting married in November, she had her 2nd bridal shower
this past saturday. (the first one was with the groom's family )
As many on the wedding guest list live far away...i live 200 miles
from them...the couple "registered" with several stores. One was a
nationwide chain, one was a local higher-end gift shop, and i think
one was an online store. For me...it was very convenient to peruse the
lists and choose something in my pricerange.
(they all had websites).
i found a terrific gift for her, in a price i could afford, i car-
pooled with several other family members, had a ball at the shower,
she loved the gift, it was checked off as something already bought so
it couldnt be duplicated....all was well in the world.

i'm a firm believer in Bridal regestrys. they save time, money,
headaches and heartaches.

now...flowers and gowns are another story.......

amy in CNY

Old September 8th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default OT bridal registries

I appreciate the bridal registries too. They make it possible for us to
send a little gift, sometimes just one spoon, that the bride will welcome.
As our families grow and spread far away, we love to receive invitations to
the weddings even if they're just a courtesy. Wish we knew some of them well
enough to truly dislike one; we still have Aunt Persniffoney's lamp for
someone to inherit. Polly

Old September 8th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Is it a hurricane lamp? Sorry....couldn't resist.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 8th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh Kathyl! That's dreadful ...
..
In message bHexk.333660$yE1.213752@attbi_s21, KJ
writes
Is it a hurricane lamp? Sorry....couldn't resist.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 8th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Patti wrote:
Oh Kathyl! That's dreadful ...

I'd have LOVED one! I still would. We have two of these:
https://www.iimsec.co.uk/tilley/shop.php?stat=1

Old September 8th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Don't thinks they'd welcome my aged and not very beautiful feet. Much
better covered up!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old September 9th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

It's probably a replica of the lamp in "A Christmas Story"....fishnets
and all!!

BG

amy in CNY