Time for another Roll Call?

Old January 29th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Time for another Roll Call?

Wow, Anita, I can't believe your little guys are getting so 'old!' LOL
Good to hear from you ... don't be a stranger here.
PAT

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
Married 7 years, two children: Pillbug (4.5yo,
autistic), and Rocky (2.5yo, speech delayed but
sharp as a whip). I do a lot of hand sewing
while waiting for the kids in various therapies.
I've quilted for 4 years now, started when Pillbug
was 6 months old. I don't have a lot of time to post
anymore, but I do like reading, especially everyone's
tips!

In real life, I'm a part time programmer.

-- Anita --

Old January 29th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Morag in Scotland

Hello,
I am Morag, almost 36 and live just outside Glasgow in Scotland with my
husband and two children who are almost 5, and 2 and a half. I am expecting
my third and FINAL baby early in June, and it's another boy.

I work part time from home as a researcher, which I fit around the kids and
the other stuff I do. I am treasurer for my son's playgroup, and I also
answer calls on a breastfeeding helpline.

We don't have any furries in this house, I am quite allergic to most animals
so we have two goldfish which the children have named Sportacus and
Stephanie. Neither fish seems impressed with sewn objects.

I have always knitted, sewed and cross stitched and although I am very much
still a beginner I find it very relaxing and love making unique gifts for
friends who keep having babies!

morag

Old January 29th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kamalaleah[_2_]

I'll go next. My name is Tamara and live in Northern California with my
QI, Marshmallow DA Bunny. I am also retired and loving it. Not the
reason I retired, three shoulder surgeries in less than a year and a
half but love being able to do what I want when. Plus having time to
spend with my folks. I feel very lucky to have such great parents that
are good health and fun to be around. I must have done something right
in raising them

My Grandparents (Dad's parents) were tailors from the old country
(Russia. I remember my Mom making what I called three arm hole dresses
for my sister and me when were little. I still have the pattern she used
to make the dresses. I took up quilting about 8 years ago after sewing
for years. I guess sewing is in my blood. I still like cross stitch. I
sometimes teach quilting classes at my local quilt store. LOVE dark
chocolate!!! The only reason I have a kitchen is it came with the house.

Tamara

Sally Swindells wrote:
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 33 has lived with his
girlfriend and her three children for 5 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 37 and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England. She
has her own Personal Training business, but I think she has given up
having a beautifully slim and fit mother!

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch! (and
garden).

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 2 year old Mia (who is black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a clown so
grows a long very fluffy brownish coat for winter, with a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black
face and legs though! In the summer he is black and short haired and
looks considerably smaller.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting about
6 years ago when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter,
lots of bits and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two things
unfinished but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I
could finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so
has the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I've just had a sort out of my Webshots, so its fairly up to date. At
the moment I am concentrating on the 'Singing the Blues' and have spent
the evening appliqueing leaves - lots and lots of leaves!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but ........ (Personal
Trainer is too far away to see!).

So .. open to everyone else!

Old January 29th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

My guild does an autum retreat in Holmes County (Berlin.... pronounced
BER-lin as I learned!). I went for the first time last fall... and had a
wonderful time!

--
Kate in MI

"John" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 10:25 pm, "Kate G." wrote:
John -- where in Central Ohio are you? I'm a buckeye native... lived in
west side Columbus for years... then in Dublin. My mom still lives there.

What are your favorite quilt shops? I always try to hit a few when I visit
my mom.

--
Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves

*"John" wrote in message

Fredericktown, Knox county. NE of Columbus. The only quilt shops in
the immediate area are Aunt Bee's and Paw Patch, both in Mount Vernon.
Paw patch is the larger and better of the two. I haven't explored the
Columbus scene, as I am as close to the Amish shops in Holmes county
as Columbus and they are legion up that way.

John

Old January 29th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

Hullo??? Yoo-Hoo??? I'm down here.....waaaaaay down here....yup you found
me!

G'day from Sharon in Melbourne Australia, 36 years young, married with two
gorgeous go-karting daughters. Quilted for oooh what is it now - six or
seven years. Gosh has it been that long? Haven't done much in the last
year or two due to varying circumstances but hope to change that this year.

Have two quilts for the DDs to finish and need to repair and enlarge my dear
departed pop's quilt which was given back to me and I put into a cupboard as
it's too painful to look at it yet (has been for years). Gotta try crazy
quilting but I'm too mentally tight to do that.

One day................

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z37/shazrules/
"Val" wrote in message

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Also retired but my years are so far advanced that they now look to be
retreating in the review mirror. Not married for more years than most two
couples put together have been. Children? I had my house sprayed but they
keep coming back. One QI, 19 years old who considers a good hard purr
reason for power nap.

If I was any further into the Northwest corner of the USA I'd need a
waterproof case for my passport.

I do not quilt, nope, not me......'cept this little Crazy Quilting thing
(CRAZY being the key word here) I seem to have been sucked into, stitching
little bits, embroidering that.....a few trims and beads, MORE trims and
beads.....seeking out charm packs...eyeing doilies when invited to
tea......checking out hair-bobs on the bus.....picking up buttons from the
sidewalk...wondering if that 5 year old would miss the ribbon in her
braid...are 4 sewing machines enough.....I need more stuff.....and
chocolate, and a cool cloth for my neck.....I need to lay down....NEXT!

Val

Old January 30th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
StephM

StephM had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/quilting/Re-...all-87112-.htm
:
Hi! I joined the group a few days ago and what perfect timing – I’m
getting to meet you all through the roll call thread!

I just began quilting this month - taking a 5 week class at a local quilt
shop and Love it. My Mom has been quilting forever and I grew up with
it…finally got bitten by the bug myself. I really enjoy cross stitching
and been doing it on and off for over 20 years.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area, was raised in upstate New York. I
just moved in with my partner (DP? – not married yet!) We share our home
with two awesome cats. DP is in art school, loves video games, thinks my
quilting is great and he has a very cute British accent. George is a dark
tabby that I bottle raised and is my baby boy and Bean is a brown ticked,
blue-eyed feline queen. From the posts I see that QI refers to loved
fur-balls but what does it stand for?

This seems like a great group – I’m having a great time reading!!

Steph

-------------------------------------

Sally Swindells wrote:
[...]

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.quilting - 85634 messages and counting!
Old January 30th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

QI = Quilt Inspector. Welcome Steph.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old January 30th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

I'm Linda from PATCHogue, NY aka Witchystitcher. I've been quilting
for about 15 years - every since my girls decided they were too cool
to wear clothes make by mommy. I've been married to DH for 34 years
and have two grown girls who live in Alexandria and southern Maryland.
I am a special education teacher and I run a quilt club for 4th and
5th graders.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old January 30th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Sally Swindells wrote:
QI = Quilt Inspector. Welcome Steph.

Refers to the way dogs and cats have of checking on quilts in progress.
Here's an illustration:
http://www.julia.rocky-dog.com/ACubbeonStash.jpg

--Lia

Old January 30th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

sounds like it might be the time to share these killer banana bread recipes.
Please
Gen

"Paulette" wrote in message
Though I mostly lurk here, I do chat with a few members and read darn near
And Polly, I too make a killer banana bread.
paulette in WV

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 04:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM