LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 15th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cell/mobile phones

Howdy!

Exactly. Most of the comments I've heard are "I can hear that!" g
You can even hear it pinging? So I'm not the only one! ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy- btw, you're not that much older than I 8-

On 6/15/06 9:15 AM, in article , "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

That pinging noise? No problem hearing that, and I'm older than you!
Roberta in D, wishing sometimes I could turn my ears off

"Sandy Ellison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Howdy!

My Avon lady (good friend) told me about this, Monday,
a ring tone that we "older" folks aren't supposed to be able to hear.
http://tinyurl.com/juf9l

I can hear it. Some dept. stores still have electronic equipment
running that I can hear buzzing/whining above my head. Ooooerrrrgh!

Meanwhile, I appreciate having my mobile phone available,
for *my* use. Not in a check-out line, not in a meeting, not at
the table in a restaurant, not while I'm driving.
I mean, if I drove and phoned, how could I, with a clear conscience,
yell at other drivers? : "Hang up and drive! It's an automobile,
not a phone booth on wheels!" G

It was a joy to have that phone with me in Paducah last year;
called dear husband back at work in Dallas, exclaiming over the
charm & beauty of that old downtown area. He shared my excitement
and looks forward to going to Paducah with me later this year.

Ragmop/Sandy --my Avon lady & I are thinking of inventing a "detector"
that will sniff out those whining cell phone tones g

You can

Old June 15th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Dannielle wrote:

If you haven't bothered to teach your children how to behave in
restaurants and stores, then don't take them until you have.

Yes, but, I have to take my untaught child into that situation in order
to teach her. So during the learning process, sometimes others need to
be a little more patient. With moms like me, it is often harder on us
to deal with our kids than it is for others. I am usually embarrassed
beyond belief while my daughter is learning something new and has a
total meltdown over the entire situation. I do my best to try to
protect those around us from the annoyance, and my DH and I have even
taken her out to the car for a time out thus delaying ordering our meal
much to the chagrin of our overworked server!

90% of the learning process is repeated exposure.

Dannielle

Exactly, Dannielle! My 2 have limited restaurant experience due to
meltdowns and having to have our food boxed for carryout because of
their behavior. However...those limited experiences obviously taught
them something - when we were visiting the Outer Banks (with 2 of DHs
coworkers, the wife of 1 and their dogs....the married couple does NOT
have children and is emphatci about not wanting them), we went to a
local restaurant. Yes, I was a bit scared, but since we took out own
car and had a key to the rental house, we decided to try it. After the
chaos of trying to figure out what they would both eat (split an order
of unspiced steamed shrimp grin), they were outstanding!!! DD,
2.5yrs, spilled her drink but that was the only mishap, and that was
actually my fault sigh. DS, 6ys, was perfectly polite, saying excuse
me, or in some cases, raising his hand when he wanted something.

Had we not taken them out at younger ages, I'm convinced it would have
been total chaos. Yes, I got frustrated when we had to bring all of the
food home, but they learned how to behave in restaurants!!

Stores are a different story at times. DS has sensory integration
dysfunction (so they tell me0, which basically means that he can't
process all of the sensory input that comes flying at him. SO..that
makes it hard unless he has a book or something to focus on. DD always
wants to "buy stuff" even though she has no money, so sometimes I
discover interesting additions to my shopping list (no, I don't buy it,
but when unloading the cart, get a nice little giggle). The fabric
shops, we do as a 1 child with mom at a time thing because they have
such different tastes, and I refuse to have 2 children running back and
forth through the store.

Anyway, I agree, without exposure, they will never learn

Larisa
Old June 15th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Taria wrote:

My mom had a comment. "that kid needs popped". Last time I
'popped' my son he was 6'2" and I had to reach up to do it.
Certainly no pain involved but the surprise value was effective.

We got spanked once in a rare while as kids but mostly just were
taught what proper behavior was.

I told a kid to quit kicking a box at Lowe's a couple of months
ago. (he was wailing on the thing) I thouht the dad was going to
slug ME. I just shook my head being grateful I don't have kids
in school anymore. How on earth do they get people to go into
teaching?
Taria

I have a theory....the ones that go into teaching either a) REALLY love
seeing the light of comprehension in that one special child, b) are
gluttons for punishment, or c) can't afford any other method of birth
control

but that's just me...at one time I was actually an elementary ed
major....changed really fast to psychology...lol..wound up with a degree
in sociology
Old June 15th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Roberta Zollner wrote:

Develop the Eyeball. Works pretty well on other people's unruly children
too -skills for life :-)
Roberta in D

Hee he!! SOrry, had to laugh at that one. This works *everywhere*, not
just in stores!! There are several students in DSs karate classes with
younger siblings. Their parents just let them run roughshod over
everything, even though there is a playroom loaded with toys - mom and
dad (mostly mom) would rather have their conversation than watch their
children. One of them decided to try and "pet" tinkerbell on my shirt
sigh I just looked at her....gave her "the look" and she backed
away..that was the time her mother turned around and was starting to
lecture me. At that point I suggested to the little girl that it was
not a wise idea to go around touching people that a) she didn't know,
and b) had not said it was okay. Turned to mom and waited to hear what
she was going to say...absolutely nothing!

"The Look" comes in handy no matter where you are and can be used to
stop inappropriate talk, actions, etc.
Old June 15th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

One of us 'older ones' sat with the child until Mom was done. Mom was not
afraid to 'use her hand on the bottom' before she left to go back shopping.
(Sworping was ok in the 50's 60's but is not acceptable now).
Shopping was 35 miles from home one way...so it usually was from the time
the store opened in the AM until noon--then the drive home--and then lunch.
Babies would usually sleep all the way home--and I'm talking every 2 years
was 'another' baby until the youngest 2, when they were 4 yrs apart--I was
15 when the youngest was born...so I would carry her whilst Mom shopped.
((Just an aside: my Bro (2 yrs younger than I, but taller) and I were carry
baby # 10 and 'shopping' --had an older lady comment on how YOUNG we were to
have a baby. We LOL when she was out of hearing range. Mom asked what was so
funny so we told her. Mom actually went and corrected the lady. I was
mortified.....as the woman was 'kind' in her comments...after her 'so young'
one.))

I can remember a number of times asking if I could stay home with the babies
as it was so much easier....

Butterfly

"Dannielle" wrote in message
oups.com...
But what was the repercussions if you DID misbehave? Little ones that
are too small to be left in the car but are misbehaving and crying and
annoying everyone...what did your parents do with that child?

I always hear the stories of "Oh, we didn't dare!" but I never hear of
what the parents would do for punishment. My DD is 2, and although
most of the time she behaves fairly well, there are times where I just
want to shove a sock in her mouth! I do remove her from the store so
as not to annoy other shoppers, and I do try everything I can order to
assure a nice quiet shopping trip. When I go to the smaller LQS's, I
try to bring DH or go while DD is home with DH. I have had to take
her, and trust me, even though my stroller is one of those major huge
ones, I try to go when I know it is not going to be busy, and anyone
that gets near me I automatically tell them to just let me know if I am
in their way and I will move. Without the stroller, however, I am
afraid that DD would get frustrated and start wandering and causing
issues.

Dannielle

Butterflywings wrote:
My Mother would take ALL 8 of us shopping with her...our hands were IN
OUR
POCKETS or we sat in the car if we didn't(sometimes dad was there waiting
with us, sometimes we were on our own) until she was done. Period....end
of
discussion.

We learned at an EARLY AGE that yelling, running, touching was NOT
ALLOWED.
No way No how or we stayed home the next time and the ONLY THING we got
was
to partake in the groceries. How mom remembered which one(s) of us
stayed
home was beyond me as she went shopping every other weekend. Children
were
SEEN and NOT heard. ONE look from Mom or Dad was enuf to stop us right
then
and there. Greatest compliment we received was from shopkeepers/clerks
that
asked to wait on us---even called one fella, Uncle Milt--(shoe salesman)
Had
one store where the owner would give EACH of us a candy bar just before
we
left---you better believe we were beyond angels in his store and he sold
everything from tractors to groceries.

When we got older, we stayed home to do 'chores' (usually staying with
the
baby, too) and dad worked in the fields and would come in at lunchtime
and
'help' us make lunch--we did it--he made sure we didn't get hurt. (He
taught
me how to peel potatoes with a paring knife and to this day I can't use a
peeler on them : )

Children WILL learn if they are taught proper manners starting at an
early
age.

Butterfly (who is NOT afraid to tell the parents that their child(ren)
are
well mannered in front of that child(ren)

"Cats" wrote in message
My mother was not a quilter, but was a sewer. I can
remember being taken into innumerable fabric stores, and
knowing from a very early age that I was to wait quietly for
my mother to complete her shopping - no touching, no
running, no yelling. My younger sister and I always
accompanied her when she shopped. I don't think it hurt
either of us to learn the appropriate standard of behaviour
for public places at a very early age. And the shop keepers
were NEVER expected to provide entertainment or supervision
for us.

We loved going around with her, and while good behaviour was
expected we usually got an icecream or similar for being
good.

I sometimes have sewers come here with grandchildren in tow.
Once in a while this is unavoidable (family drama, etc) but
I politely discourage this as a regular thing because this
is not an area set up for children and I cannot be
responsible for their safety around sharp and pointy things.
The OH&S/liability issues for adults are bad enough.
Everything in life should not be geared around the possible
effects of an uncontrolled toddler/child.

Sorry if this makes me a grouch but I don't feel that shops
should have to provide a child entertainment area in order
to stay in business, and I don't enjoy having to fight the
HUGE strollers in use today in narrow aisles when I am
shopping. I have enough mobility issues of my own.

Off my soap box and off to have a morning cuppa with Oscar
the Grouch LOL

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...
: joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
:
: *Bringing unruly children into the store and letting
them roam, crawl,
: yell, etc.
:
: If I may interject... is it so bad to bring
: unruly children into a store? I mean, does
: the fact that children roam, crawl, and yell
: make them unruly? I do not mean to be
: facetious (or maybe I am just being defensive),
: but we often go to our LQS as a whole family.
: DH sits on the floor and tries to keep the two
: kids under control. But, kids crawl and roam.
: Sometimes they yell. We do not permit them to
: touch the fabric, walls, displays, anything.
:
: If we could not bring children in, then I'm
: relegated to only ordering fabric online. Or
: DH has to stay outside with the kids, and that's
: not always the best place to be.
:
: Obviously, there ought to be some standard for
: basic politeness, such as regarding cell phones,
: making outrageous return demands, etc. However,
: isn't there any room so that children, while
: being children, would still be allowed to go
: into a little store without raising eyebrows?
:
: -- Anita --

Old June 15th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

agreed. However when you have 2 little ones with you who are a year and a
half apart... and the one acting up is doing it b/c he WANTS to leave....
and the other wants to stay... there has to be even More planning....cause
leaving causes as much upheaval as solution.

and, no, i never did get that down to a science. All 3 likkle ones did
better shopping in the morning than in the afternoon however and i use(d)
that to my advantage. they do fairly well now. DS and DD2 still have some
more training

still shaking my head at the lady in Walmart shopping at 11pm with her
little toddler/preschool kids who did NOT want to be there (and none of the
other shoppers wanted them there either...)

Kellie

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
I reckon the easiest way to train toddlers is to plan ahead and be ready to
drop everything and depart as *soon* as they act up. I know there are times
when it's not possible, but this method sure worked with my DD. I only had
to leave off shopping a few times when she realised her behaviour had
direct consequences!

The other thing is not to linger about, browsing, while a small child gets
bored. You need to keep up a running commentary with them about the
groceries you're buying. Ask what it tastes like. Ask whether it'd be nice
with ice cream or tomato sauce. Ask if it's something Dad would use or Mum
would prefer. Ask if the child could possibly reach for some items (eg.
toilet rolls, which don't generally break when dropped). Although, beware
of the store-built booby-trap in the pyramid at the end of the aisle...

I always found it *much* easier to keep the kid in the shopping cart seat
thingie. Once DD was too big for that, I made her my little apprentice
shopper and purposely kept shopping expeditions to less than an hour.
Small kids can't last much longer than that without a chance to let off
steam!

When kids become tired and fractious, it really is time to cut the trip
short. If an adult companion told you 'I'm beat! I need to go home right
away!', you wouldn't stop to argue. It makes me *so* mad to see Mums
shrieking at overtired kids in supermarkets when, really, the kid has done
nothing wrong.

Of course, the other side of this coin is to give real praise and reward
for good behaviour. Most kids will bend over backwards to be praised and
told what a great helper they are. The effort you put in during the
toddler phase pays *huge* dividends later on! I promise!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old June 15th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Valerie in FL wrote:
I got bonked on the head with a spoon wielded by a 3-year-old in a
restaurant last week. I didn't even get an apology from her parents, so this
is absolutely a sore subject with me.

That's outrageous. An unruly small kid hit me at a parish picnic, back
when my kids were small and I was holding a toy the kid thought was his
(but actually belonged to us). The mother didn't apologize. The
grandfather picked him up and the kid proceeded to pummel his
grandfather's bald pate. They made no attempt to control this violence.
Easy to see why the kid felt free to punch a strange adult.

More recently, I have a new neighbor with an unruly toddler that hauled
off and hit my dog while my dog was playing with their new puppy (my dog
is still a puppy herself). Fortunately Rommi flinched away in time to
miss the full force of the blow, so she wasn't badly hurt, but at four
pounds, she's a tiny dog and even a small child can seriously injure
her. The mother did apologize, but she did absolutely nothing to
control her child. The kid ran around completely ignoring her. The
puppy is half husky and clearly of a naturally dominant disposition, and
she wasn't doing anything about that either. Gonna be interesting to
see how *that* plays out.

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old June 15th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

well, I'm soon to be 61, and couldn't hear anything except a very faint
click. I hadn't noticed any problem hearing anything else, though . . .
- must ask my doctor if I need a hearing test with my annual physical
this year

Cathy in BC

Old June 15th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Was Mom actually "shopping"? Years ago I was in a chain fabric shop looking
at machine cabinets. The clerk glance out the window, and excused herself,
saying she'd be back as soon as possible. Seems this woman brought her kids
to the store with a job for them. They got into the thread display and
started throwing the spools and unwinding thread while Mom shoplifted I
wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. At least they were aware of
her, so she didn't get a chance to steal much that day. What a great way to
raise kids-------NOT.
Gen

I have watched a kid remove the bells from the front door and run all
over the store with them, knock over a couple of displays, and rearrange
the thread case, while mom obliviously shopped.

-georg

Old June 15th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Dannielle,

I think you are on the right track. You're right, your little one has
to be exposed to the situation in order to learn. And you don't have
to be embarrassed when you need to correct her. I think the only time
people will feel impatient is when the parent makes no move to correct
the child and allows inappropriate behavior to continue unabated.

I myself have no children and so I'm not used to the "meltdowns".
However, I do understand that kids just get too tired sometimes and I
feel nothing but sympathy for mom--as long as she's trying to remediate
the situation. If I feel that way having no children, then I think I
can say with certainty that 99% of people feel the same way, especially
those who have been through the terrible twos with their own babes.

The key here is to do your best to guide your daughter to the desired
behavior. This discussion is has been about those parents who are
oblivious. I can't remember which poster mentioned it, but having a
child hit you with a spoon with not even a word of consideration from
the parent, is definitely unacceptable.

Michelle in NV

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 06:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM